Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeping 45 degree, for 4-6 weeks!?!

I'm one week out from having my VSG, dr told me to sleep at a 45 degree for 4-6 weeks? Was that the case for anyone else? I'm glad I already had an adjustable bed but it still does not make it easy to sleep! Any thoughts?

I'm just starting my journey. Actually it started yesturday at my consult. But i can see why at a 45° angle after surgery but dang that would be hard for me cuz not only do i sleep on my side but also am a stomach sleeper. I can lay on my back but 45° angle would still be difficult for me cuz no adjustable bed. I guess I'll have to figure how i'm gonna sleep once i get surgery. I hope you are able to get some good sleep. Just seems impossible to sleep in that degree in a bed. Take care hun. Let me know how it works for u and any tips on how to get comfortable before falling asleep.

I was never told to sleep in any position, but when I got home, I wasn't able to sleep prone on my back or side. I felt a pulling sensation whenever I tried to sleep on either side. I had to roll up a comforter into a log and used that as a prop to keep me kinda sitting up when I slept. It was a little over a month before I felt comfortable laying flat or on either side.

I was able to sleep however I wanted. Do you have a problem with reflux? maybe that's why

I slept in a recliner for over a week. It just felt better. #1 I think it helped with the gas relocation and clearing. #2 it felt more comfortable in the cut up areas. I'm a big roller and side sleeper. I could also see how all that movement could maybe cause some swelling or slow down healing.

I'd ask the doc for their reasoning and try to comply as best you can.

Best of luck!

put blocks under the head of the bedframe - I am guessing this is because of reflux or potential reflux

I have an adjustable bed and have been sleeping with the head of the bed up. I can sleep on my side or back like that. It is to help with the gas and reflux.

My doctor did not tell me to do that, but I felt more comfortable doing it -- I have a wedge pillow that I got at Relax the Back several years ago. It's adjustable so I can have it as a back rest to sit and read in bed, or as a wedge to sleep on it. It was a lot more comfortable for me because my abs were sore and the large incision was uncomfortable.

My surgeon didn't mention anything about sleeping. I slept on my side the same day of the surgery and would place a pillow on my side to support my stomach when I got home. I've been sleeping on my stomach starting on week 3, no issues.

In the hospital, I slept in the bed for just a little while and then moved to the reclining chair. It was easier to get in and out of. At home, I'm using a wedge memory foam pillow that I bought on Amazon.< /p>

http://www.amazon.com/InteVision-Wedge-Pillow-Quality-Removable/dp/B009HHLBKK/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1434912448&sr=1-1&keywords=wedge+pillow

31-dYAFYkkL._SL500_SS115_.jpg

I'm normally a side sleeper and am sorely tempted to try it, but the pulling feeling puts me right back onto my back (at the incline). My Dr. didn't recommend one or the other as far as incline, but I read on the boards (here) that I could be more comfortable.

I wasn't given any instructions for sleeping. I did sleep with three pillows and probably at a 45 degree angle when I first came home. I was just more comfortable that way at first. I was sleeping on my side about a week after and last night (2.5 weeks out) I slept on my stomach with no issues.

I got a tip from another BP user & bought a recliner and spent my first 2 weeks sleeping there. One of my best postOp investments. It was more comfortable to sleep and to get up from.

I did this and it was tough as I am a stomach sleeper but I got through it. OMG you do not want to accidentally wind up on your stomach during the first month. :)