Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No energy 3 weeks post op

Help.... I have no energy at all; don't feel like doing anything. I drink liquids but I'm not hungry for the stuff I have to eat. I could be a little depressed over not having comfort food. Even if I tried it my tummy would start hurting.... Any suggestions...

Be patient. Your body is going through a lot right now. You'll read here http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/341786-when-did-you-start-to-feel-like-yourself-again/ that we all take so me time to feel "normal" again. I was feeling great for about a week and now am tired again. Be sure to get 64 ounces of fluids, including Protein shakes. Your body needs fluids, Proteins and vitamins to heal. You need to heal to start feeling energy. It'll happen.

Without the Protein and Fluid you will continue to feel tired and lethargic. Do your best to get as much as possible in.

In terms of not liking

G it, you will have to find something that works for you. Try samples til you find one you like.

Mt favorite is Premier Protein ready made shakes. As soon as I was able to drink those I started feeling a lot better.

In addition to the sound advice from the other responders, remember that you have just had major surgery. Yes effect of that trauma on your body combined with the after affects of general anesthesia could very well be the root cause of your lethargy. I had similar symptoms and needed to take a nap every afternoon.

Big changes require time to smooth out. Give it at least six months.

I love premier shakes!!!

I felt the same way at the 3 week mark. I started adding Matcha powder (green tea) to my shakes and that helped. But really it was closer to 2-2.5 months before I finally felt back to my old self. I stayed out of work for 4 weeks and was glad for the break.

I'm a teacher and had my surgery June 15th. I wanted plenty of time to recover. I have some training in July. I will be ready. I'm only doing a little a day so far. Cooking dinner made me really sore yesterday, but worth it. The family loved it.

I felt lethargic for about 6 weeks. It was all I could do to get myself up to do my walks... it was so hard. I remember thinking up and down my street felt like MILES!!! the first week just around the tiny culdesac was terrible!! I felt winded and worn out and i took Water with me. I couldn't handle the Protein well at first I was on fluids (clear liquids) for almost the entire first month, because I was afraid of puking, and then i would only do a tablespoon at a time of things when I started soft Proteins and shakes... I felt like I was eating all day and felt stuffed and thought I was stretching out my pouch. i got to the point I could do much more within a few weeks and in January (after an October 15 surgery) I joined the gym. I can now walk/run 4-5 miles in an hour and i HATED running before. Now it is like hitting one of the finish lines for me... that i am being successful in my new life. It is coming to you too! <3 Just push fluids, Protein when you can and don't beat yourself up.

I had my surgery June 12th. I have just started getting some energy back. I went swimming today and it felt great. I'm sure it takes time for the body to adjust. Also if you've been losing a lot for the last 4 weeks like I have its probably exhausting to the body and shocking as well. I think the body responds to what's coming in and if there isn't much coming in it is going to keep us down.

I'm six weeks out. My energy level goes up and down. Don't expect your energy level to rise in a straight line. As with most things in life, we all have our ups and downs.

I feel like you...I had my surgery on June 16 so I am about 3 weeks post op. It is so hard for me to put anything down more less the required amounts. I had pain stabbing pains on my left side all the through week 2 (seems to have subsided now). But my system feels so sensitive about everything even Water. I can't even get my Vitamins in without feeling like I want to gag. I have no appetite, no energy, everything feels like an effort. I know this is all because I'm not getting my required fluids, Proteins, and Vitamins in. I'm thrilled if I can get one Protein shake and one bottle of Water down a day.

Is it just me?

How does everyone do it?

It will get better and at times you will wish you still felt the way you did week 2-3 because it gets easier to eat and you begin questioning if what you are eating is the right amount, not enough, or too much. I am at week 5 1/2 and I am now eating 2.5 oz of food like chicken Breast, ground sirloin burgers, reduced fat cheese sticks...

I think the thing that helped my energy level the most was getting my act together and beginning exercising. I started off walking a 1/2 mile, worked it up by a 1/2 every 2-3 days up to 5 miles and now I start just about every day at the gym doing some cardio and toning.

I had my surgery on June 19th and am feeling good except for the exhaustion piece. I went to church yesterday and had planned on going to the grocery store afterwards but just couldn't do it. Today I made it to the grocery, carried in the bags and then was completely done for the day. I'm wondering how long this lasts.