Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am experiencing the same thing. I am going through a depression. I actually get angry and sad about it. It seems like my sense of smell has increased. But I am trying to change the way that I think about food and exercise.

Mine was June 2nd and I am eating yogurt and Soup, which helps. Had the French onion soup from Jason's Deli yesterday and it was great. Gets easier when your Dr. gives you the ok for soft foods.

I didn't feel like this.

i was so grateful to have (finally!) a solution to my lifelong problem that's all I could focus on.

I sure hope you guys feel better soon. Try to focus on why you had this surgery.

I was miserable during the liquid stage, and it has gotten much better once I was able to introduce solid foods. With every new food I'm able to add, my "depression" gets better and better.

I promise it gets better. I'm almost a month out from surgery, and while the misery is fresh in my mind, it gets better every day!

So does it go away? After a few years of being sleeved I imagine it is still there but you cant act on it right?

I was miserable during the liquid stage, and it has gotten much better once I was able to introduce solid foods. With every new food I'm able to add, my "depression" gets better and better.

I promise it gets better. I'm almost a month out from surgery, and while the misery is fresh in my mind, it gets better every day!

Aww thank you! That's encouraging :)

So does it go away? After a few years of being sleeved I imagine it is still there but you cant act on it right?

I imagine it unique up to the individual. There are so many people that I know that have had the surgery that are as big now as they were before. They just couldn't give up the food. They will graze all day long on unhealthy foods.

At the moment, I am 4 months out and the tumultuous emotions and cravings are gone. More often than not I am craving hummus anymore! I think when you switch to new foods, your tastes can become accustomed to them and start craving them instead of the bad things we at before.

I have also found that I don't mind paying more for some foods now. I used to try and find the biggest serving of food for my money thinking it was the economical choice. E.G. a salad at a restaurant or unlimited fries for the say price. Now I'll pay more for a serving of something I actually want than just something that will fill my belly cheaply.

VSG surgery gives you a smaller stomach, which eliminates (for a long time) a lot of ghrelin (the hunger hormone) and reduces the amount you can comfortably eat for a long time.

But if you have eating disorders and aren't willing to make the lifelong lifestyle changes you need to make to remain healthy -- choosing more nutritious food, eating more slowly and chewing your food very well, avoiding high-sugar and other highly processed foods, eating only at mealtimes and 1-2 healthy Snacks, eliminating drinks with calories, e.g., sweet tea, juices, sodas from your daily menus, etc., you will not be successful with the sleeve.

Your life post-op needs to be designed to practice and implement these new habits so they become your new lifestyle.

As they say, your new sleeve is only one tool you need to be successful long-term.

Guys and gals. It totally gets better. I'm three months post op and eat pretty much anything I want. I will tell you that occasionally I get aggravated because I can't eat as much as I want. But right now most of you are in the post op liquids and mush stage. Get past that, and know you are only giving up food for a short time. Then you can eat again. It's totally worth it. Like I said I'm three months post op, and today I hit 70 lbs lost!

Weighting that is so good to hear!

I try not to be hungry when I go the grocery, and I do shop the perimeter of the store where the fresh meat and produce are. I am in a suburb of the big city and have five major supermarkets to choose from. In every one of them, you enter in through the bakery to get to anything else. You know it's a deliberate trap. I just have to put my mental horse blinders on and get through there as quickly as possible.

A week after I had myI surgery my family went out to eat. The restaurant we went to didn't even have Soup. I had to sit there and sip Water while everyone ate. I cried the entire meal. They were all chatting about how good their food was and I just sat there holding my daughter close to me. It was hard. A week after that I went to lunch with co-workers and just sat there. I was OK for that one. Now, (I am 7 weeks out from surgery) I just get a little sad about not being able to eat certain foods. Or, when we go out for dinner my husband and I will share a plate (he had surgery 3 weeks before me) and we can't finish it...at all. I get full so fast.

My surgery was June 9th and I'm on a liquid/protein drink diet. After reading my handbook I discovered I could eat lentil Soup so I bought some, added unflavored Protein powder and it is just enough to quell my hunger pains. I bought Bariatric Foodie Protein Drink book and have been using some of those recipes as well. Tough part is pacing those 4 oz at the rate of 1 oz every 15 min. Then I have to wait another 30 min to start drinking Water again. Anyone else having that issue of pacing?

My surgery was on June 4th. At this point, I use a baby spoon to eat and I time myself. I also try to take moments to savor what I'm eating. The spoon type has really helped me.

I am on a Protein Drink liquid diet surgery was June 9 I'm having a hard time spacing bites/sips. I didn't add enough Water to lentil Soup so it is sitting heavy. I'll thin things out more tomorrow how do you time the bites?