Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

diet 80% and exercise 20% or is it ?

@@AussieSam I only eat Protein, and I drink 100oz a day LOL. The more you burn the more you require!

I drink about 140oz and when I think of food the stomach says to me don't you dare I'm already full thanks to the Water.

A lot of people believe exercise is only 20% of the success I disagree I think it's about 50. My argument is that when you exercise lots it suppresses your appetitte and keeps you burning calaries up to 18 hours afterwards and gives your body that great look. What do you think?

Exercise also changed the way you metabolize sugar... My sister is in the medical field and explained it to me but I couldn't really follow and have forgotten, LOL!

I was told that exercise is a great thing to do, but if the food choices and calorie reduction are not done, exercise by itself will not promote weight loss. In the past, when I have exercised, it did keep me focused on eating healthier, but not really on the calorie reduction aspect of weight loss.

I need to get motivated to exercise. I know it is good for my physical and mental well being. That being said, I have actually lost a lot of weight without exercising. I am not saying I recommend that though. I am just being honest.

Yes, very true, you can't out-exercise a bad diet. But they definitely work in tandem.

If you want to be thin, you eat less. If you want to be healthy, you exercise. If you want to be thin and healthy, you eat less and exercise.

As for whether exercise increases or decreases your appetite... I'm sure it depends on the person. My personal experience is that it typically lowers my appetite immediately following but when I exercise A LOT (just finished a marathon and was running 30+ miles a week training for it plus yoga 3x a week) I eat more overall. But I make healthy choices around that added hunger and my body NEEDS the extra fuel. Of course I am in maintenance now, so that is different, but I did the same all through the weight loss phase as well.

I would argue you can certainly lose weight without the exercise, but they have a synergistic effect together as long as you don't develop the "oh I just exercised for X long, I can eat Y now" because we tend to overestimate the calories burned through exercise. Running, for example, burns about 100 calories a mile. So does walking, it just takes longer to walk the mile so you burn fewer per minute. That's not many!

@@AussieSam I only eat Protein, and I drink 100oz a day LOL. The more you burn the more you require!

What do you eat that you eat only protein?

To add my 2 cents. I can easily out eat any exercise I have done in one sitting. In fact although I exercise 5 days a week and jog approximately 12 miles per week I have been steadily gaining weight. I suppose it would be more weight if I wasn't exercising. Diet is everything 100% of weight loss. The reasons I exercise are it improves my heart health, it changes the way my body looks, it helps me get my Water intake up, it does suppress my appetite in the short term and it just makes me feel good.

Wow - I am impressed that you can drink 100 ounces of Water. I don't come close to that. You eat only protein... that must be very challenging. What are your typical lunch and dinners like?

What do you eat that you eat only Protein?

@@AussieSam I only eat protein, and I drink 100oz a day LOL. The more you burn the more you require!

Wow - I am impressed that you can drink 100 ounces of Water. I don't come close to that. You eat only protein... that must be very challenging. What are your typical lunch and dinners like?

I really, really force the fluids. It helps that my two toddlers have me up every day at 6AM, so I get a very early start.

My daily menu is extremely boring! By saying, "I only eat protein," what I mean is, I have not incorporated in any type of vegetables or fruit, or even healthy grains of any kind, yet. I'm 10 weeks out and have no food texture restrictions now, but here's how a day typically looks

Breakfast - egg whites with shredded low fat cheese, or a Dannon Light and Fit Greek yogurt or cottage cheese (or any combination of those things, depending on how hungry I am/time of month.)

Mid-morning snack - Babybel Mozzarella mini cheese (or two)

lunch - any of these things: steamed shrimp, StarKist tuna pouch, grilled chicken, grilled salmon

Mid-day snack (if I need one) - another Greek yogurt or cottage cheese

dinner - usually fish/seafood or chicken again, similar to lunch. Lump crab meat, shrimp, salmon, tuna ...

I'm a creature of habit, so eating the same things for an extended period of time does not bother me. I know at some point it will, but for now, that's how I'm eating. I'm ever conscious that we have a honeymoon phase, and I'm taking full advantage of it. Right now, I am eating 90-100g of protein every day. Again, something I know I won't sustain forever. But, honeymoon phase.

Edited by Garifab_VSG

My doctor said that studies show that post op patients that exercise regularly lose 10% more of their excess weight than those that don't exercise. I have not seen these studies. But I would like to have that extra 10% so I'm exercising regularly. So far I've lost 71% of my excess weight.

I really, really force the fluids. It helps that my two toddlers have me up every day at 6AM, so I get a very early start.

My daily menu is extremely boring! By saying, "I only eat protein," what I mean is, I have not incorporated in any type of vegetables or fruit, or even healthy grains of any kind, yet. I'm 10 weeks out and have no food texture restrictions now, but here's how a day typically looks

Breakfast - egg whites with shredded low fat cheese, or a Dannon Light and Fit Greek yogurt or cottage cheese (or any combination of those things, depending on how hungry I am/time of month.)

lunch - any of these things: steamed shrimp, StarKist tuna pouch, grilled chicken, grilled salmon

dinner - usually fish/seafood or chicken again, similar to lunch. Lump crab meat, shrimp, salmon, tuna ...

I'm a creature of habit, so eating the same things for an extended period of time does not bother me. I know at some point it will, but for now, that's how I'm eating. I'm ever conscious that we have a honeymoon phase, and I'm taking full advantage of it. Right now, I am eating 90-100g of protein every day. Again, something I know I won't sustain forever. But, honeymoon phase.

Thanks for responding and for sharing :-). It took me a long time to add fruit to my diet. I ate veggies after the initial soft phase though. I have not had any whole grains. I do have a couple of treats that have processed carbs, but I have stayed away from most processed carbs for the past two years.

Nah, I truly believe diet is 80-90%. I've always worked out a lot.. I only have lost when I ate what I was supposed to do.

If you want to be thin, you eat less. If you want to be healthy, you exercise. If you want to be thin and healthy, you eat less and exercise.

That is stating it beautifully!

@@AussieSam I only eat protein, and I drink 100oz a day LOL. The more you burn the more you require!

Oh got it. You eat incidental carbs and fat, just don't add them to your diet. That makes much more sense! Thanks for sharing. You eat very similarly to the way I did when j was in the losing phase except I still incorporated Protein Shake supplements because I couldn't eat enough to get my goal protein number without them.

I don't want to be a pile of lose skin at the end of this journey. I am putting muscle behind the weight/fat loss. Diet and exercise all fit together for balance. If you play the right games with your self, it is all really fun. If you are a joy hating fun sucker, well you know, there isn't much I can do for you.

I do an hour of aerobic swim three times a week, and walk the lab pup twice a day, maintain a huge vegetable garden and a small orchard, and plan to add some treadmill time on days that I don't swim. I have a treadmill for big guys.

I do this not to lose more weight, but because my body feels better when I exercise. I am no athlete -- was always too fat for that, but two years pre-WLS discovered aerobic swimming and for the first time in my life, got addicted to exercise. The 7 weeks I could not swim were torture, but now, back in the pool! I also purposely got a lab puppy because I know they demand at least two good walks a day -- and boy, does he ever! Love the time with him in our fields.

I can really feel the 50+ # weight loss, much more nimble, can't wait to be a normal weight and see how active I will be with this extra 130# off me!