Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First rejection at a restaurant. So annoyed :[

I know that each restaurant has the right to refuse a kids meal to an adult, I get it. But this owner was outright rude and wouldn't even glance at my little medical card that I have to show waiters to prove that I've had gastric surgery. Like, is it really worth the extra couple dollars that you'll get from me to just toss the rest down your garbage disposal? I did not want to take home leftovers at this particular night (I've got enough at home!) It's been bothering me ever sense. Oh well, move on I guess. Definitely won't be going back.

Either way, I am not going to leave a nice review on their Yelp. Maybe if he had been a little more compassionate. But this guy treated me like I was trying to rob the damn place.

UGH. [/vent]

Anyone else have this happen to them?

I haven't used my card yet just because I haven't been to a restaurant that has a kids menu I could eat. I have had meals that lasted a week lol. If someone is rude to you for a request then do as you would for poor customer service and speak through your money. Good for you for not going back.

yeah any place ive been the food on the kids menu is way too bad for me to touch, grilled cheese sandwiches and hot dogs mostly. Not worth my time.

Where do you get this food card you speak of?

I don't order off the kids menu generally because the food is gross, lol, however if a place offered a decent kids meal, I would totally order it. If someone gave me a hard time about it I would not only blast them on Yelp, but on any other site that also mentioned their business. I don't feel I should have to provide a reason as to why I want a smaller menu option and the fact that someone was that rude about it is totally unacceptable, especially since you showed them your card (speaking of which, I've never heard of that, so also interesting).

I try to go to places that let you order a la carte or do tapas so then I'm not stuck with a giant pile of food. Often though dinner becomes lunch/dinner/lunch for the next day or two.

Thanks everyone! I got my card from my dr, it just basically looks like a business card and says my name and requests that I be able to order a kids/senior portion, and has the dr's signature at the bottom. But I had to ask for it! I recommend having it just in case.

This was at a local Mexican food restaurant. Just wanted one enchilada at my bday dinner. Was cheaper to order a kids version vs the a la carte (bigger portion I guess), which ended up being what I ordered anyway *shrugs*.

I have one of those cards, too, but haven't used it. It looks like a business card from the hospital and says:

Certificate

This person has had surgery and is required by doctor's orders to restrict the quantity and type of foods consumed. Please allow him/her to order a smaller portion or make a seletion from your childrens' menu.

Thank you for your cooperation

It could be that the waitstaff has never encountered a legitimate request like ours and then acted like pricks like we read about airline personnel all the time. I would educate the management with a letter or email, copied to their owner or corporate office. That usually gets results and maybe coupons for free food in the future.

I can spell, but I cannot type. The card should read: selection.

And it was your birthday, that somehow makes it worse. I never used my card. The only place I've ordered a kids meal at is Qdoba (their kids meals are just smaller versions of the regular meals). I typically stick with a side salad or Soup which makes it easier.

Most kid menus aren't healthy anyway. I just find something on the regular menu.

Where do you get this food card you speak of?

I received mine at my last preop class..there bariatric card..Iv never used mine..we either split or I get a to go box and eat later..

Red Robin has grilled chicken sticks on their kids menu and you can get fruit, veggies or a salad with it. I've never been refused there. Also Texas Roadhouse has kid steak bites. I always check the kids menus and sr menus. IHOP let me order kids eggs and bacon. I can't believe anyone would refuse to let you. Call the store owner or if its a chain, the headquarters. I'd check to see if there are any laws protecting wls patient.

Cracker barrel has a great kids menu. Grilled chicken strips, shrimp, etc. And theirs says "for kids of all ages" :-)

Thanks so much everyone! Unfortunately it was the owner who took our order and was the rude one. Kinda makes me feel like there wasn't much I could do in that situation :/. Yelp it is!

Depending on which restaurant you chose sometimes appetizers broiled instead of fried will work just fine. Just ask them to bring it when they bring the other main dishes. If a manager of any restaurant was rude to me for any reason I would have got up and left at that very moment.