Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Today was the day, and I feel great

Had my sleeve done today by Dr Teel at Miami valley hospital in Dayton OH. Let me just say how wonderful this experience has been, I was mentally ready for this and that's what has helped me through.

Had my surgery at 7:45am, surgery complete at 8:30, spent one hour in OR, within another hour I was on my feet walking the halls and have done all day. They use foot markers here with signs every 25 feet, well because i feel so good after my surgery I have walked over 2000 feet, I'm really happy, I have no pain from the surgery just some gas discomfort.

If anyone is worrying about this surgery then please don't. My advice is get mentally prepared, do your research and once its done get on your feet.

I'm doing so well that at 5pm they changed my diet to full liquids instead of tomorrow, still here for the night but will go home knowing this was the right thing and a great experience so far

Edited by EnglishDan

Awesome I had mines Friday and the only problem I'm having is getting all my liquids in but I'm a little jealous your on full liquids already lol but keep up the good work

Hi Dan!

Congratulations! Happy sleeve day!

I must say that reading your post really helped me with some of my anxienty. My surgery is scheduled for this Thursday, June 4, and I know I am so overly well prepared for this, but I'm still feeling a bit anxious. Almost like a feeling of "I think I forgot something..." and it's been driving me crazy. Your advice really helped me realize that the thing I forgot was really here all along: my mental preparation. I have everything packed and ready to go and I feel good. I just need to keep reminding myself that I am ready, physically and mentally.

So thank you for this post. Am glad to hear you are doing so well! I'm hoping to bounce back just as quickly!

Please keep us posted on your progress and any further advice you may have down your road to recovery!!

:)

I'm sure you will bounce back fast, I've just been for another 20 minute walk and it makes me feel so much better so please make sure you get on your feet as its a major benefit.

My girlfriend is also having he same surgery and she is just waiting on her date. She to was anxious and nervous but seeing me today has pit her totally at ease.

Good luck with your sleeve and enjor your journey

Dan

@@EnglishDan - I had my surgery on the 6th of May and was walking as much as they would let me. I had a reaction to the anesthesia and was being monitored because of tachycardia (rapid heart rate). I was suppose to go home the following day. I didn't discharge until late that night after my doctor felt confidant that the tachycardia was not being caused by a clot. I ended up doing xray, MRI & cat scan to make lungs, heart and legs were clear. walking is a must!

Well done and I will remember your advice.... keep walking :-)

Kate

im on my 3rd day since the op, i got released the day after my op on Wednesday, i was great until i was the passenger in a car to get home, that night my gas pains was awful, had to sleep in a recliner. My advice if this happens to you is take your muscle relaxer, it really helps with the gas pains and makes you very mellow. Get some Gas X disolveable strips (they really do work, but dont take more than 8 in 24 hours i took 3 at once my night of pain and it worked). Get some peppermint tea, buy it now before your op, peppermint is fantastic at getting rid of gas, i hate tea of any kind but i would have drank engine oil if it gave me the same relief the pepper mint tea did. Keep taking your pain meds, today i need 3 of the possible 6 allowed. and again walk as said this is the 3rd day since my surgery and today i have walked after each shake or meal if only for 10 minutes each time, you do that 4-5 times a day thats almost an hour of exercise and it really is great for dissipating the gas.

Today i feel no gas pains, if i get a twinge i stand up or sit forward and that solves it, my incisions do not hurt neither.

Another good tip when you have gas pains is where the velcro body brace they give you, will support you when you feel weak.

Today i had Tomato Soup with fat free milk and it tasted like heaven lol basically 1 can is going to be 5 meals for me so eating is cheap.

powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury Protien powder in my opinion is the best tasting ive had and ive tried a few, mix the chocolate with almond milk and it tastes like store bought chocolate milk except its got almost 30 grams of protien in one shake, thats half to a third of your daily need

Last night when i went to sleep i weighed 296lbs, this morning i was 289lbs, i know a lot of that was due to bloating and fluids but still it put a huge smile on my face knowing that in under 3 weeks iver gone from 309.5 when i started the pre op diet to 289 today, its a good feeling

i will update here every couple of days, ill make it like a small journal just in case you want to pop in and see where im up to and you can tell me your experiences. Its good to talk to others going through the same process as they truly understand..

And good luck @ im 100% sure you will be fine, sounds stupid but enjoy this life changing moment

This was about 15 mins before i was taken in to the operating room, all happy and silly and everyone laughing at my smiley face cap lolfFpiWiv.jpg

Edited by EnglishDan

• EnglishDan - I think we may have been on the same day! June 2? I also had to sleep in my chair as the hospital bed was way, way higher than my bed and I strained one of my incisions trying to get into bed at home last night (my first night home). I think I'll stay in the chair again tonight. Congrats on the pounds lost - I haven't weighed yet and think I might not until my appt on June 12. We'll have to see if I can hold out!l