Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

“The larger I got, the smaller I felt”

I had a gastric bypass on 5/5/2015. I have been overweight since the age of 3, I have no clue how to be anything else. Due to this I have never been able to have kids. PCOS, Hidradenitis Supportuvia, Cauda Equina Syndrome, Diabetes have reaked havoc on my body and mind. I have always worked full time, consider myself successful and an overachiever because my talents have to speak louder than my looks. Fat girls have to try harder right? I could lose 10% of my bodyweight, and I did it many times over, always on a diet. Can't believe I am done with this cycle!! My surgery just caused me to be sore and uncomfortable, no biggy, so is being 125 lbs overweight. I consider this surgery to be EXTREME because of the changes in eating. I am one month in and doing really well. I have lost 30 lbs, but I really don’t know that, or feel that. I’m still pretty tired and weak. Right now I am on a soft dental diet. No Protein drinks, I HATE them! So, a typical day for me consists of soft eggs for Breakfast, tuna pouch snack, lean protein lunch, and lean protein and soft veggie for supper. I am a “foody” and love to cook and bake. Has this stopped, NO. I hate it when people say they cheated. Cheated? How about just eating a serving or less, now that is a win to me. I believe everything in moderation, but have never lived it. I think now I have a chance. My ultimate goal is to be able to go hiking, ride a horse, be able to fly comfortable, to never apologize for my weight and to be healthy, (oh yeah, and to get clothes from the regular sections!).

I live 2000 miles from home, have not told anyone that I have had surgery, not sure if I’m going to. Anyone else do that? I am flying home over Labor Day, this gives me a big incentive. Would love some support friends, I don't have anyone! Good luck to you! ~Kelli

Good luck on your weight loss journey. After my RNY surgery, I lost my hunger. It wasn't difficult to lose weight when hunger is not constantly gnawing at your bones. I am 2 years post-op and my weight is fairly constant. I am at the lowest weight thus far and am more concerned about dropping any lower than the possibility of gaining a few extra pounds. Some people say that they gain more energy after the operation. I would describe it more in terms of stamina (the ability to perform physical labor). I am 66 years old and the surgery restored my stamina to the point when I was in my 30's. Last year I moved 100,000 pounds of gravel by hand and 50,000 of concrete blocks. And I am at it again this year.

Thanks James. Glad you are doing well, and have improved stamina, I need some! I love being outside myself and had to plant flowers in 30 minute increments, because of my energy levels. But, I did not eat inbetween, which is a first! LOL I hope I can do as well as you in 2 years, I am so ready for this change, way overdue! Cheers!

Hi, Kelli7603. Your comment about living 2000 miles away from home, coupled with the fact that you seem to be doing well post surgery is comforting to me. I live a thousand miles away from all my family and haven't said anything to them even though my surgery is scheduled for next month; also, like you, not sure if I want to. I am married, however, so obviously he knows, but I want to go through everything without asking for a lot of help (he just started a new job), so this gives me hope that I should be able to. Maybe I missed it or you don't want to reveal, but which surgery did you have if you don't mind my asking?

I had a gastric bypass. My husband was with me during surgery, but has to be one of the most non-sympathetic people on the planet, which makes me stronger. I went back to work after 6 days and would have been fine alone after getting home. I guess the main reason I have chosen not to tell anyone is because this is my journey, no one else's. I didn't want to second guess my decision by negative energy from my family. I didn't want to be the topic of the day. I just don't need that. Instead of focusing on my family and friends and what they will think, I am being selfish and focusing on myself for once in my life. How amazing to be able to finally make plans for your future as a healthy human being! I've signed up for my first 5k... I've started going to the pool, and that is just the beginning. You will do amazing, as long as you are positive and can see past the surgery part. Like I said, it is uncomfortable, but not as uncomfortable as being so overweight. Enjoy your journey!

Good luck on the 5k! Was curious whether you got the Roux en y or the sleeve and whether it was laparoscopic or open surgery. Really excited to get back to swimming and a good workout routine, but I hear it will be about 8 weeks until I should even begin to think about doing anything too physical. We shall see... You know, my husband saw a statistic that indicated that of marriages where one of the partners is post gastric bypass, 85% of them end in divorce - he's been on his best behavior ;) Just sayin :)

I had the Roux en y, and it was laproscopic, which are you having? Don't get me wrong, I am slowly walking the 5k, and Water walking and stretching at the pool. Nothing too strenuous! LOL... I have always hated exercising! But, I want to work myself into loving exercise, maybe wishful thinking, but I'm sure going to try. I will probably keep my hubby. According to everyone I talk to, there are no good trade ins!

keep working it out you are doing good good luck you can catch me here off and on all day if you need to talk

I'm scheduled for the roux en y, but my surgeon prefers to do the open surgery. Maybe I can talk him into doing laparoscopic I find that "exercise" is easier for me to do when I don't think of it as exercise. For example, hiking with a group or walking the dog, mowing the lawn, just generally staying active. I agree with the no-good-trade ins ☺