Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pro's & Con's of gastric sleeve surgery?

Hi, I am considering gastric sleeve surgery, and while I'm not meaning to trivialise WLS (it is a huge thing to contemplate), I would really like to know:

What made you choose gastric sleeve surgery, has it gone as expected etc? (Obviously weight loss is the main aim - so this goes without saying)

Also any regrets, or what has been the worst of it for you?

Everyone is different, but I would really like to know what people think.

My story is that I have a lap band, which I have hated (continually throwing up), the only way I have been able to loose weight is to have it really tight, which makes eating an impossibility. I initially got down to my target weight this way, but I wasn't well (my hair was falling out and I had no energy), I have found it very difficult to strike a happy medium with the fill; where I can eat, but small amounts only. I have gained all of the weight back on and I am miserable! The thought of surgery absolutely terrifies me too. I will be seeing my Doctor in a few days to review my options. In the meantime, I would love to hear from you, ????

There is a forum for band to sleeve revisions you might want to check out.

I revised 3.5 years ago, lost about half my body size and maintaining...

Pros:

I am no longer fat.

I have more energy than I have in decades.

I can do mud runs, zip lines, zumba, ride horses (scared of them, but I could), ride amusement park rides, etc.

I can shop anywhere.

I am no longer the fattest person in the room.

I can grocery shop without feeling self conscious.

I can fit in theater seats, airplane seats, down aisles without feeling squished or squishing others.

I can eat whatever I want, I rarely WANT junk and when I do, I eat very little.

I am a cheap date. (See above.)

food no longer rules my life.
I could truly go on forever...

Cons:

<crickets>

I had the band to sleeve revision in February. I wasn't that successful with the band but have noticed that the sleeve stops me from eating too much because I'll actually get a little nauseous vs. that stuck feeling. As far as the surgery, for me it was easy. No issues and the recovery was very quick but you should go to the Band to Sleeve Revision section and read the experiences that others have had.

9 weeks out, absolutely no cons for me. I already feel like a normal person again, with a healthy relationship with food. Can't wait what the next 60 lbs loss brings!

I'm 3 months out and have had no issues at all. Not even been sick once. I'm careful to watch the carbs and stay within the guidelines of carbs, fats, Proteins and sugars given by my MD. Wt is down 31 lbs today! may not be a lot for some, but for me, it's great. I can't tell you how much difference Ouse 30 lbs have made. I feel wonderful, no knee pain anymore, no apnea. I have no cons. For me it was a great decision

Any surgery No guarantees..for me Iv had over a dozen..this one saved me...have several medical conditions some are gone. Sick and tired of being fat...watching life pass by..no more! Yes it was a little rough first several months..but manageable. I would do it again in a heartbeat! Down over 100 pds in first 8 months (or around there) stuck to protocol..all pros here! ????

I just had my lap band removed and a sleeve done instead 2 days ago. I had all the same issues as you and just could not take it anymore. I have watched several co-workers do the sleeve and watching them closely before I made the plunge. They are doing great and have no issues. I can't tell you how happy I am and that darn port is gone!! Hated that thing every time I leaned on something!

Thank you everyone for replying. I have been reading some stories about lap bands, which have really just made me feel more secure about removing mine. I have mostly heard positive comments on the gastric sleeve surgery. Two negative things I have heard are altered bowel motions and reflux; can anyone comment? Also do you need to take a Vitamin supplement? And lastly any issues with Hair loss? Surgery terrifies me, but I know that I'm very unhappy being the weight I am.....

One more day until I see my doctor, so I will keep you posted.

I had gerd for yrs prior..still took nexium for about 5 months after been off since I use alternative remedies for this and doing fine but I also eat a clean diet, no carbs I eat mostly Protein and use raw sugar if anything along with stevia..it has worked for me..we eat organic as much as possible. I do take liquid supplements where their available..suppliment will be required or at least till you get po and able to eat balanced. I also only use coconut oil and olive oil and my insides Iv not had issues. I eat raw pecans and cashews (not till I was free to expand diet) daily and it has fixed the IBS/constipation issue which I had the past 30 yrs but used Seneca and Miralax in shakes or Water for first 3 to 4 months. I luv my tool the sleeve..no rerouting just body does have to get used to some changes I would do it in a heartbeat best thing I ever did for myself and health! My body thanks me! Lol

I aslo has a revision from band to sleeve. I wish I could have had it done all at once but I had the band removed in January (slipped after pregnancy) so much scar tissue had to do two surgeries. I can say I loved my band, I lost 100 pounds from that band but once it slipped that was it for me. I was sleeved 3/25 and I am down 30lbs. NOW it seems to me I lost weight faster with the band but that may just be in my mind. I am only 9 weeks out and I still have a long way to go. I had my band since 2008 and it did me well. So far I like the sleeve, it's new so I have nothing bad to say about it YET.

Huge pro for me ( other than being down 135 with 1 year surgiversary coming up in June) is they also fixed a horrible hiatial hernia I had. So much better all around. Con Constipation, but given i have Crohn's I welcome the weekly bm vs the 6-7 daily ones. :)

No one has mentioned the hair loss you've asked about. Yes! You do lose hair. From my own experience and from what I've seen from others, lots of hair is lost. I said screw it and chopped all of my terribly thin waist length hair off to an inch and a half long. Good thing I have boobs because you might not know I was a girl otherwise ;-) I do hear that the hair comes back, but I've only just hit a slowing down point in my weight loss 6 months out. I've lost all of the extra weight plus a few pounds so maybe I'll think about growing my hair back out. It'll only take about 10 years :D

I also had quite a few complications with my sleeve and as my doctor said my body was just one of the few that didnt take very well to it. To say the least, my body was pissed!!! No more icu stays or hospital admits since February, so hooray for that! Even now I can't eat more than a couple of bites once a day, but I finally FINALLY am drinking and keeping down Water really well. Getting better one day at a time.

4 months out now, had two really rough months of nausea anxiety was almost suicidal, I've lost 50 lbs and everything is normal now, so very glad I did this.