Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Ariel Ortiz at the OCC

Yes Kindle I'm thinking it's super cool too! I'm gonna be ok with the Mexico thing...I think it's more my hubby and then it kind of spooks me too. Thanks for all the advice, I greatly appreciate it! When did you have your sleeve at OCC?

This last December. The very last surgery before OCC closed for Christmas! Dr. Ortiz took off for a winter vacation in Yellowstone National Park the next day, but Dr. So took very good care of us postop.

Ok so I have to push out my surgery by a few weeks for work. Does anyone have any input on having the surgery done on a Firday? Is there support over the weekend? I'm sure there is but I just wanted to see if anyone had a weekend experience?

19 days!!!! So excited!!!!

Hi Niecybelle! You can call them up and ask what the prices are and they will tell you right away.. You pay a deposit and that goes towards your full price... There is a pre-op diet. They say everyone's is different. They want me to start doing Atkins right now but I haven't. I'm just going to do the 2 week liquid diet with Protein Shakes as my meal replacements... I had originally planned my surgery with a different surgeon here in California and he said since my BMI is lower that I really only need to do a 1 week of the liquid pre op diet.. I guess each surgeon is different on what they want. I've been eating like crap lately so I'm planning on following the liquid diet strictly for the last 2 weeks. My other doctor also said you have beef Jerky in addition to the Protein shakes, SF Jello, SF pudding, and SF popsicles so I bought some of that the other day. Just trying to get ready for the pre and post op diet! I'm excited but it doesn't feel real yet! Hope that helps! :)

Ok so I have to push out my surgery by a few weeks for work. Does anyone have any input on having the surgery done on a Firday? Is there support over the weekend? I'm sure there is but I just wanted to see if anyone had a weekend experience?

I actually scheduled my surgery on a Friday on purpose because I knew there would be no other surgeries to occupy the doctors and staff for the next two days. And not only was it a Friday, it was right before Christmas so OCC was actually closed for the entire week. The five of us that had surgery on the 12/20 pretty much had the place to ourselves after surgery. We all went to the Marriott on Saturday, back to OCC for a bandage change on Sunday, after which Joel, the driver, took us shopping. Then back to OCC on Monday for our barium flouroscopy and drain removal. Dr. So, who is the primary followup doctor, and a couple nurses took very good care of us. Dr. Ortiz left on vacation but Dr. Martinez was available if there had been any issues...which there weren't. The office manager even came in on Monday to make sure all of our travel plans were squared away and she made us all chicken broth and have us bottled Water to sip on the way to the airport.

I was sleeved September 4 with Dr Elias Ortiz and have nothing but abundant praise for him, his assistant Dr Morales, and the anesthesiologist Dr Malagan. Even the hospital internist whose name I sadly cannot remember was wonderful, competent, and thorough. Mi Doctor Hospital was satisfactory and many of the nurses were caring and lovely. The Tijuana Marriott was absolutely gorgeous. Now, as for A Lighter Me, there's not much to say that the word AWESOME doesn't cover! Very, very positive experience all the way around.

As for my after care, Ronda from ALM sends out rather detailed emails with all sorts of info and my first post-op visit with my regular NP is tomorrow afternoon. He's one of those who is stern and as serious as a heart attack yet he was supportive of my decision to have the VSG done in Mexico and has expressed that he will continue to be supportive of me in my health endeavors and goals. I am also fortunate in that we have a local bariatric surgeon who will accept 'adoptees' should I ever need his expertise. Am not anticipating any problems though getting in my daily Water requirement has not been easy.

I am very thankful for these posts - they really help to set my mind at ease. I am following this group with great interest!

My surgery is Sept 27th with Dr. Elias.

I am to start my pre-op diet in a few days. I am nervous about this because I think I eat too often without even thinking about it. My friends and family think I am crazy but I am feeling more and more confident that this is the right thing for me.

good luck to those with upcoming surgery dates.

Hello friends!

Thank you for sharing your experiences with OCC, it made my decision simple.

I've paid the deposit, flights are booked and scheduled to be sleeved on November 10, 2014. Anyone else going to be around? :)

I have a couple worries, that I won't lose enough weight in time...

For the most part I'm pretty excited though... I've been overweight my whole life, I've never known what it's like to be skinny....

Hoosiergirl, I can't find your blog.... Could I please have the address?

Much love to everyone!

Hello friends!

I've paid the deposit, flights are booked and scheduled to be sleeved on November 10, 2014. Anyone else going to be around? :)

For the most part I'm pretty excited though... I've been overweight my whole life, I've never known what it's like to be skinny....

Much love to everyone!

That was my big worry as well. Trust me when I say that if you follow the 15-day pre-op diet, you will lose a lot of weight in those last two weeks. I still had over 6 pounds to my maximum goal weight (meaning losing the MINIMUM the nutritionist wanted me to) when I started the pre-op and then I blew right past that goal by my surgery date. Just don't ease up on diet and exercise before your pre-op. If I hadn't lost those 7 pounds prior to starting my pre-op diet, then I wouldn't have made my goal before surgery.

Hello friends!

Much love to everyone!

I was so nervous about not losing my preop weight, too. So much so I started my preop diet 2 days early. I ended up losing 22 pounds instead of the 12 they wanted me to! Just stick on the plan and you will do fine.

BTW... www.Hoosierfatty.wordpress.com

Edited by Kindle

I'm heading there on Saturday for surgery on Sunday with Dr. E Ortis. Barngirl and Sashasmom both had theirs done with him in the last two weeks and said it was great, without any complications. 

Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum. I'm scheduled for gastric sleeve at Obesity Control Center (OCC) on OCT 01. Like most, I'm full of emotions, little anxious, excited, but determined. Anyone else going at the same time?

Hi Brenda! I will be arriving at the Marriott on SEP 30 for surgery on OCT 01. Did you ask which surgeon you will have? I haven't been notified.