Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Ariel Ortiz at the OCC

Did you have a hard time finding a doctor to see you I the states after your sleeve?

Had surgery Saturday 5/24 at Hospital MI Doctor with Dr. Elias Ortiz. It has been a wonderful experience. The doc's were kind and compassionate! The nurses and staff were great as well. Never once did I have to ask for pain meds or anti-nausea. Everything was brought to me on schedule and on time! The pain has been minimal. The worst was the gas pains for the first couple of days, but nothing a few Gas X strips and some walking couldn't handle. Overall I've felt great and have not had any trouble drinking or any bathroom issues.

Did you have a hard time finding a doctor to see you I the states after your sleeve?

I have not had any issues. I have seen my general family doctor since I've been back and they were not shocked or condescending at all about Mexico.

Talked to a doctor yesterday... He will follow up on my care ! He WAS concerned about me having my sleeve in Mexico:(

They all are! Even the supportive docs/providers have a bit of a pre-conceived notion of what a hospital/doctor might be like in Mexico. While my provider was very supportive, she was also very much more concerned but on the last day I saw her, she said "Trust your gut. If you feel like something's not right, don't be afraid to say no and scrap the surgery." And that is exactly how I approached it because I signed up to do all of mine, blood work, EKG, meet the docs, surgery, all in the same day. I had no impending feelings of doom, everyone was super nice, very knowledgeable and Dr. Ortiz was able not only to explain everything to me in Spanish, but to my mom who accompanied me to TJ and isn't bilingual, in excellently spoken English. So let your primary doc worry, but don't you! You'll do great if you decide to come to Mexico!

They all are! Even the supportive docs/providers have a bit of a pre-conceived notion of what a hospital/doctor might be like in Mexico. While my provider was very supportive, she was also very much more concerned but on the last day I saw her, she said "Trust your gut. If you feel like something's not right, don't be afraid to say no and scrap the surgery." And that is exactly how I approached it because I signed up to do all of mine, blood work, EKG, meet the docs, surgery, all in the same day. I had no impending feelings of doom, everyone was super nice, very knowledgeable and Dr. Ortiz was able not only to explain everything to me in Spanish, but to my mom who accompanied me to TJ and isn't bilingual, in excellently spoken English. So let your primary doc worry, but don't you! You'll do great if you decide to come to Mexico!

Thank you! Can't wait to get it all started!!

Thank you everyone for responding to my post, it has helped put my mind at ease and I am really excited now...less than a month out for my sleeve yay!!!!

I choose Dr. Ortiz for many of the reasons you have stated. While plication is still an investigational procedure, I like the preliminary studies I have read. I noticed that some people take about the gerhilin? sp. receptors remaining in the stomach with the plication, but not with the VSG. My only thought on that is, I honestly can not remember the last time I was hungry. That is why I am fat... LOL. I am going down in July. I cant wait!

Does anyone know how many surgeries Dr. Ortiz has done?  Checked his website and even asked Lori, the coordinator, and can't seem to find an answer.

Trying to decide between him and another surgeon in TJ.

I asked Carolyn when I had my surgery in December. She said over 10,000 bariatric surgeries which includes bypass, Lapband, sleeves, plication, and conversions. Of those, both Dr. Ortiz and Dr. Martinez had done about 1200 sleeves. I think they average about 20 surgeries/week, so you can probably add a couple hundred sleeves to December's total.

I had surgery with Dr. Elias Ortiz on May 16. Dr Morales that assists with the surgery is wonderful as are all the nurses. I can't say enough wonderful things about the whole experience. The cleanliness of the hospital, the attentive care you get, and every fear that I had about Mexico being put to rest. A lighter me is the company that I went thru and I am very impressed! If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. Good luck with your journey.

How are you doing? Any tips?

I am planning to have VSG by Dr Elias Ortiz in Tijuana in September using A Lighter Me coordinator. The comments here make me feel that much more comfortable with my decision. Thank you!

I have some questions I've been wondering about. Is a Protein Drink considered "drinking" or "eating"? What about Greek Yogurt? How long do you wait to drink before and after meals? Did anyone have Hair loss? I didn't think I would have a problem with it but it has started. I am 3 1/2 months out, just 4 days after Covatila84. I got to meet her as she was getting her drain out and I was going in for my surgery. Covatila84 you are doing Fantastic!!! Can anyone give me any examples of some daily menu's to see how you get ALL of your Protein and Water in, in a day????  Please and Thank you!!!

Does anyone know how many surgeries Dr. Ortiz has done? Checked his website and even asked Lori, the coordinator, and can't seem to find an answer. Trying to decide between him and another surgeon in TJ.

Dr Ortiz is the best & he has done hundreds if VSG's. He is rated one if top Bariatric surgeons in the US & had been on Dr. Oz, The Doctirs, Night line, Dateline & many other programs. I was sleeved in February & had excellent card & no complications or Pain nausea or vomiting & feel great

Good luck!