Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Ariel Ortiz at the OCC

I had surgery with Dr. Elias Ortiz on May 16. Dr Morales that assists with the surgery is wonderful as are all the nurses. I can't say enough wonderful things about the whole experience. The cleanliness of the hospital, the attentive care you get, and every fear that I had about Mexico being put to rest. A lighter me is the company that I went thru and I am very impressed! If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. Good luck with your journey.

Would love to hear feedback from any and all sleever's who surgeon was Dr. Elias Ortiz. I am scheduled with him June 29 in TJ Mexico and the time is getting close. Reassurance would be sooooooooo welcome!!!!!! Thanks :-)

I am looking to use him also !, PLEASE keep me posted? I want to schedule in July.

mayday 16,

Thank you so much for posting a reply. Wow your not even 2 weeks post-op yet...how are you feeling?

This is the first time I've heard of Dr. Morales, but, glad to know his and the rest of the staff are good and that you had a great experience.

Did you have a lot of pain after the surgery?

How is the after care instructions?

Any specifics have to share would be greatly appreciated.

I hope your recovery  is fast.

Edited by mrsbshe

Surgery tomorrow. Can anyone tell me what Dr Ortiz post op diet is like.?

You will get a folder with detailed diet instructions and the dietician will sit down and go over everything with you. I actually had them email it to me ahead of time so I could be prepared. Basically 3 days Clear Liquids, days 4-17 full liquids, days 18-27 puréed food, day 28-40 soft food and day 40 anything you want (with a few restrictions like nuts and seeds and other crunchy stuff till 3 months)

Have a great trip. You will do great!

I'm a little over 3 months out- I think I've hit a stall. Been going up and down the same 1lb for the past 2 weeks. Anyone else experience this when u were that far out? Suggestions for breaking stall? I am exercising (ran a mud run on Saturday and a 5k this morning!), eating all my Protein, getting in most of my water...any other suggestions?

I had Dr Elias Ortiz on the 16th of may too. The whole group of health care professionals were great.  Dr Morales does most of the talking but all are great.  the nurses were very gentle and attentative.  Over all it was a very positive experience.  I feel great. I have no acid reflux either.  A light me rocks. all involved provided excellent care.

I had a month long stall between weeks 6 and 10. In fact I gained 3 pounds. Ironically that was when I was taking flagyl for my C. diff infection. It made me very nauseous and I was barely eating or drinking anything. The stall broke once I was off the flagyl, felt better and pretty much doubled my food and Water intake. So not sure what to suggest for you. The other thing I found was that I lost a whole pant size during that month of no pounds lost, so maybe your body is changing in ways the scale doesn't show.

I didn't have a lot of pain after surgery. The aftercare so far is wonderful. A lighter me has Ronda that sends a lot of very helpful information and has even called. I do have a primary caregiver that I have already seen since surgery, just for a followup.

Starting to plan!!! Did any of you go alone?? Did you stay any extra days? Were you surprised by anything? How hard was the preopp diet?

I had surgery with Dr. Elias Ortiz last August. I went alone and had a very positive experience. Not one time did I really even feel alone through the whole process. A couple of tips, though...

If you can, add the Google Translate app to your phone or Ipad. That was nice to have. I could communicate on a better level with the nurses. They understand basic care English, but there may be some things that need to be expressed that are not so basic. Also, Netflix. The television has a few English stations in the hospital and hotel, but not many.

You will need some cash, small bills like 5s or 1s to tip your driver and bell hop with.

Don't be shy! I made a few friends at the hospital and hotel that I'm still in contact with today. It's soooo nice to have friends who are traveling this road at the same place as me. We compare notes, chit chat and have gotten pretty close.

Please don't hesitate to ask questions. Not just from me, but this is what this forum is for. :-)

I had surgery with Dr. Elias Ortiz last August. I went alone and had a very positive experience. Not one time did I really even feel alone through the whole process. A couple of tips, though...<br><br> If you can, add the Google Translate app to your phone or Ipad. That was nice to have. I could communicate on a better level with the nurses. They understand basic care English, but there may be some things that need to be expressed that are not so basic. Also, Netflix. The television has a few English stations in the hospital and hotel, but not many. <br><br> You will need some cash, small bills like 5s or 1s to tip your driver and bell hop with. <br><br> Don't be shy! I made a few friends at the hospital and hotel that I'm still in contact with today. It's soooo nice to have friends who are traveling this road at the same place as me. We compare notes, chit chat and have gotten pretty close. <br><br> Please don't hesitate to ask questions. Not just from me, but this is what this forum is for. :-)

Thank you!!

In the paperwork it said that anyone over 250 lb would need to have a consult with the nutritionist, but so far I haven't heard. Am I supposed to initiate that, or am I jumping the gun? I'm not booked till July 2, but I have some concern that if I don't get started asap, I won't loose the required amount pre-op.

Can anyone advise on how soon after booking /or how long before surgery they had the consult?

My hubby had his sleeve May 7. He was supposed to have a consult (over 250 lbs), so I told him to email the nutritionist. She just basically checked in over email to make sure he was losing the required amount of weight. I think it was 15-20 lbs. So as long as you have the pre-op diet and follow it, you should be able to just email the nutritionist or she will likely call or email you if she hasn't heard from you. Just to make sure you are doing okay and don't need more help.

I remember that requirement and I remember asking about it when I paid my deposit.  I called the nutritionist right before I started my pre-op but never heard back.  I didn't have a consult with her (keep in mind that particular nutritionist is longer there) until the day of surgery.  I was pretty worried about not losing the required amount too, but the pre-op diet is pretty dang effective.  I started at 280 and was 262 two weeks later the day of surgery.  I was so surprised that it worked so well.  I used Premier Protein shakes 3 a day, had miso broth daily, drank a lot of Water and had a bag of steamer brussel sprouts or brocolli w/salt and pepper nearly every night.  I didn't exercise.