Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Ariel Ortiz at the OCC

I feel so bad for you and so sorry for your sister. I had my band done with Dr. Ariel Ortiz and had the most wonderful experience. The health care in Mexico is far better than anything I had ever experienced in the states. I've been back and forth from TJ several times for fills and am going again for a gastric sleeve next week. I have had the option for health care and prefer the level of care in Mexico and the expertise I've gotten down there. I live in California & my family & some friends don't understand but I truly feel it's safer and better than the experiences I've had in the States. I have a history of anxiety issues but have never felt panic stricken or uneasy when being down there. I've always met nice drivers and helpful people to guide you along. Take care and healing for your family , S.

My bad!

Edited by Newloser

I met so many solo people! Actually more alone then with others;) no worries

In hindsight, I would have been comfortable going alone.  I also saw several solo travelers in the lobby.  Don't get me wrong, I was thrilled to have my husband along! 

I went all alone and had a great experience. My mom had to stay home and watch my 3 girls, and my hubby could not get the time off work. Of course I would have preferred to have someone with me, but is was not in the cards. So I just went for it. The clinic staff are awesome - and when I met Dr. Ortiz, they had already given me the happy drugs, so he grabbed my phone and insisted on taking a couple of pictures of us for my husband to see. I would've been way too nervous to think about photos at that time, but I am so glad Dr. Ortiz though of it, because the was the last remaining photo of the old me. The hotel staff at the Marriott were great too. I was extremely freaked out on the night before my surgery - felt like I was waiting for surgery on mars and I really did feel all alone in the world that night - but that was just nerves. Once surgery was done, and I felt great, I loved being alone to just chill out in my hotel bed (which was super comfy) and watch tv, sleep whenever I wanted and head out for a walk on my own schedule. It was nice to just worry about myself. I kept in touch with my family on my tablet through Skype, so they could see me and know that I was fine. It will be over before you know it, and you will do great. I am so sorry to hear about your sister though - terrible news. Hope she gets well soon!

I went all alone and had a great experience. My mom had to stay home and watch my 3 girls, and my hubby could not get the time off work. Of course I would have preferred to have someone with me, but is was not in the cards. So I just went for it. The clinic staff are awesome - and when I met Dr. Ortiz, they had already given me the happy drugs, so he grabbed my phone and insisted on taking a couple of pictures of us for my husband to see. I would've been way too nervous to think about photos at that time, but I am so glad Dr. Ortiz though of it, because the was the last remaining photo of the old me. The hotel staff at the Marriott were great too. I was extremely freaked out on the night before my surgery - felt like I was waiting for surgery on mars and I really did feel all alone in the world that night - but that was just nerves. Once surgery was done, and I felt great, I loved being alone to just chill out in my hotel bed (which was super comfy) and watch tv, sleep whenever I wanted and head out for a walk on my own schedule. It was nice to just worry about myself. I kept in touch with my family on my tablet through Skype, so they could see me and know that I was fine. It will be over before you know it, and you will do great. I am so sorry to hear about your sister though - terrible news. Hope she gets well soon!

Seriously... thank you. I've read your post three times already, will prob read it a few more. Much love!

How critical was the spirometer thing... Did they actually have you use it?? Don't remember this from my Lapband Surg at OCC before

I started using mine three weeks before surgery. (Got it from Amazon for like $10). I had suffered from a bad cough and bronchitis for 6 weeks a month earlier, so I wanted to make sure my lungs were "healthy". I was actually able to increase my lung capacity from 2 liters to 2.5 liters before surgery. I took it to OCC with me and used it daily for at least 2 weeks postop. Easy thing to do to help prevent clots, emboli, etc.

I could really use some positive words right now. My surgery is the 11th and my mom was going to go with me (hubbs is staying home with the four kids) but my sister was just diagnosed with stage 4 ovarian cancer so I insisted my mom go to be with my sister as she begins chemo and has surgery. That leaves me heading to Mexico alone and I'm super nervous. Would really appreciate some positive experiences and advice from those of you who did this solo.

My heart goes out to u and your sister!

I just went to the OCC by myself on 2/17 and had a great experience. The drs and staff r fantastic and u will meet ppl both at the Marriott and at The OCC to befriend. I don't regret my decision at all.

Mom of four.... I'm so sorry to hear of your sisters diagnosis:(

What a beautiful thing for her to support you to go ahead to do something

life changing for yourself!

I hope we can all really bond and keep each other positive in the initial days.

Hugs to you and stay strong

Rhonda

Thanks Kindle.... I will go hunting for one tomorrow... I sing a lot, so maybe my lungs will

be good to go :) but I see the benefit of using something like that after surgery for sure

I could really use some positive words right now. My surgery is the 11th and my mom was going to go with me (hubbs is staying home with the four kids) but my sister was just diagnosed with stage 4 ovarian cancer so I insisted my mom go to be with my sister as she begins chemo and has surgery. That leaves me heading to Mexico alone and I'm super nervous. Would really appreciate some positive experiences and advice from those of you who did this solo.

SoCalMom - your sister and family are sure in my prayers. I had a friend with me the day of surgery, but she left and I recovered and then returned home on my own. It was actually kind of nice to be by myself and sleep when I wanted to. There were a surprising number of folks there having surgery solo. You will be well taken care of by the OCC staff and everyone at the Marriot was helpful. My suggestion is to pay for an extra hotel night - leave all your things at the hotel and locked in a safe. Take only a change of clothes and your room key to OCC. Then, you wont' have to worry about anything. You can make phone calls at the OCC, so you can communicate with your family as needed.

You are going to do great!

I had my sleeve 11-7-13. Lost 60 lbs so far (even though thyroid removed 2-5-14 and my thyroid levels have been off). My husband told me yesterday that he wants to get sleeved now. I emailed Carolyn and we are set to go back to TJ May 6 for my hubby's sleeve. He says his only worry is losing muscle. He is muscular and works in the oilfield. Any men have insight on being muscular and losing weight? Any couples have things to share? I love OCC and am very happy to be going back.

Just booked our flight!! I am SO excited and so is my hubby. First time to fly too (well second actually but I was unconscious the first time so it doesnt count) Im more scared of flying for the first time than I am of the surgery...Im READY READY READY!!!

I had my sleeve 11-7-13. Lost 60 lbs so far (even though thyroid removed 2-5-14 and my thyroid levels have been off). My husband told me yesterday that he wants to get sleeved now. I emailed Carolyn and we are set to go back to TJ May 6 for my hubby's sleeve. He says his only worry is losing muscle. He is muscular and works in the oilfield. Any men have insight on being muscular and losing weight? Any couples have things to share? I love OCC and am very happy to be going back.

I work in the oilfield too (office job). Hope he does well ! Very excited for him.

SoCalMom - your sister and family are sure in my prayers.  I had a friend with me the day of surgery, but she left and I recovered and then returned home on my own.  It was actually kind of nice to be by myself and sleep when I wanted to.  There were a surprising number of folks there having surgery solo.  You will be well taken care of by the OCC staff and everyone at the Marriot was helpful.  My suggestion is to pay for an extra hotel night - leave all your things at the hotel and locked in a safe.  Take only a change of clothes and your room key to OCC.  Then, you wont' have to worry about anything.  You can make phone calls at the OCC, so you can communicate with your family as needed.

You are going to do great!

Thank you so much! I'll be flying to Indy to stay with her during part of her chemo.