Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Ariel Ortiz at the OCC

I was wondering if the Injury chicken broth tasted anything like bullion cubes? I haven't had surgery yet but the cubes really gag me.

I've tried emailing OCC asking questions but haven't gotten a response back yet. How long did you have to wait for a response?

What email address are you using? Initially I filled out their online form requesting info (you can specify if you want to communicate via email or phone) and got a generic reply from coordinators@obesitycontrolcenter.com. I worked mostly with Carolyn at carolyn@obesitycontrolcenter.com but also dealt with Lori when Carolyn was on vacation.

Give them a call - they were very helpful and low pressure when I originally called them. Unlike some of the other docs, they won't pester or bother you. They just give the information. Good luck!

I've tried emailing OCC asking questions but haven't gotten a response back yet. How long did you have to wait for a response?

I was wondering if the Injury chicken broth tasted anything like bullion cubes? I haven't had surgery yet but the cubes really gag me.

It takes just like chicken Soup broth :) Nice when it's cold. It surprisingly doesn't taste like Protein.

Hi again group!

Ok I finally got my pre-op stuff and settled on a surgery date of April 15! Yeah!

I also think this is the best place for me to ask questions and update, as we are all Ariel Ortiz/Martinez patients.

I have read through most of these posts and LOVE the knowledge and support of people like Kindle and B2B ..... Thank you for staying in these forums to help some of the newer ones like me :)

I am a failed Lapband , placed by OCC in 2009. It never worked as advertised on me and after many fills and unfills, the port got perforated and I had to go for port repair.... Crap!! After that I was too afraid of getting fills so have just had it sitting there doing nothing!

The main reason I got Lapband ( sleeve was an option at the time) was the reversible nature of the surgery..... So the idea of cutting away 80% of my stomach....permanently gone .... Is VERY scary for me especially thinking about the "what ifs" of complications..... I have to just not go there!

I also have learned a few things along the way and recognize some of the things I did wrong last time. One is I thought I could "do it alone" and told NO ONE... Also was not on forums.

Not this time....

I also know about head hunger, the importance of following ALL the rules, slider foods and high calorie drinks, and how all that can defeat ANY bariatric procedure !

So I am VERY open to any and ALL suggestions and ideas from this wonderful group as to what you felt most contributed to your success and helped you get through the tough parts.

Thanks!

Ok me again. :)

HoosierGirl ! Also thanks to you too for answering some of my questions...

One more from another post... What is the 5:2 trick for stalls ?

Thanks

Just realized that two months to the day I will be getting my sleeve. I'm still excited and overjoyed. I lay in bed at night just thinking about the new life I'm gonna lead and how its going to be such a transformation. I'm actually going to love ME again!!!

Had a consultation with Dr Jimenez. He was concerned about my previous DVT and my seizure condition . all is good. I feel safe about the surgery and looking forward to it. Oh and he speaks great English..lol...THAT eased a lot of my fear.lol

OK I know I'm going crazy posting for now but I'm sure everyone here had that one particular thing they wanted to do or wear when able to.....Well I want my husband to take me to see the Dallas Symphony Orchestra. I want him in a tux and I want to wear a blue sequined, floor length, spaghetti strap evening gown. I've dreamed of this for so long but never went because of being fat. 2014 I declare you the year my dreams come true !!

Ok me again. :)

HoosierGirl ! Also thanks to you too for answering some of my questions...

One more from another post... What is the 5:2 trick for stalls ?

Thanks

Once you are getting closer to goal and it's taking longer to lose small amounts of weight, I learned about the 5:2 diet on this forum. There is more information on Bariatric Pal if you want to check it out, but the general idea is that 5 days a week, you eat as a "normal" sleever. Then you select two days per week to limit your calorie intake to 600 calories or so. These are called your "low cal" days or "fasting" days. The evening before your "low cal" day, you stop eating by 6p or so and "fast" until noon the next day when you have a light lunch and then dinner.

My experience was very positive....I was able to kick-start my weight loss again and break through a months long stall. But the BEST part is the wonderful restriction after I fast and then start eating again.

I only had to use the 5:2 diet for a 2-3 weeks to end a stall and finally get to goal. Definitely not for the weight loss phase, but a trick to help you hit your goal.

OK I know I'm going crazy posting for now but I'm sure everyone here had that one particular thing they wanted to do or wear when able to.....Well I want my husband to take me to see the Dallas Symphony Orchestra. I want him in a tux and I want to wear a blue sequined, floor length, spaghetti strap evening gown. I've dreamed of this for so long but never went because of being fat. 2014 I declare you the year my dreams come true !!

Curiouslyhopeful - when you get to wear that dress....and I KNOW you are going to get to wear that dress....please be sure to post a picture of it! You are going to do awesome because you are taking the long view and you have a great long-term vision! So excited for !

Had a consultation with Dr Jimenez. He was concerned about my previous DVT and my seizure condition . all is good. I feel safe about the surgery and looking forward to it. Oh and he speaks great English..lol...THAT eased a lot of my fear.lol

I really liked Dr. Jimenez. He sits down and goes over your health survey in person and he does your ECG. I was wearing a packer jersey the day of my surgery and that sparked quite a conversation because he is a Vikings fan.

How critical was the spirometer thing... Did they actually have you use it?? Don't remember this from my Lapband Surg at OCC before

I could really use some positive words right now. My surgery is the 11th and my mom was going to go with me (hubbs is staying home with the four kids) but my sister was just diagnosed with stage 4 ovarian cancer so I insisted my mom go to be with my sister as she begins chemo and has surgery. That leaves me heading to Mexico alone and I'm super nervous. Would really appreciate some positive experiences and advice from those of you who did this solo.