Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Ariel Ortiz at the OCC

Covatila...I would try to swing by a Walmart to get some microwaveable cream Soups, shakes that are premixed and drinkable yogurt. You will have less worry and be "set" with your food. Then while at restaurants you could sip iced tea or Water. Would be rough trying to vacation on full liquids! Good luck

Day one of pre-op diet...need I say more? Ugh I don't know how I will do this! I don't want to pig out or anything, but I'm genuinely hungry lol :(

Day one of pre-op diet...need I say more? Ugh I don't know how I will do this! I don't want to pig out or anything, but I'm genuinely hungry lol :(

Yep, I was hungry the whole time. Just keep your eye on the prize and seriously, you'll barely remember preop. You can do it!

After day two, it does get easier. I had to make meal by meal decisions to stay on the diet....After awhile, I finally decided "I am going to kick the crap" out of the pre-op diet!

You can do anything for two weeks...just keep on doing your thing. All that weight you lose now counts! You are on your way!

The first three days were the worst for me, then the next 9 days were ok... But the last 2 days before surgery were murder for me! Just remember your goal, and the more weight u lose in pre-op the less u have to lose post op ;)

The first three days were the worst for me, then the next 9 days were ok... But the last 2 days before surgery were murder for me! Just remember your goal, and the more weight u lose in pre-op the less u have to lose post op ;)

That's almost identical to me! First 3 days and last two days were the worst. How's your vacation going?

did you guys struggle at all with the full liquids period from days 4-17? im stuck because im currently in california today until next wednesday....allowed to have Protein Shakes creamy Soups and drinkable yogurts...but its hard being on "vacation" after surgery.... wondering if i should find a food store somewhere and look for some shakes? today when out to lunch, i ordered cream of cauliflower cup of soup...i didnt even realize when i was eating it that it has tiny broccoli bits in it.=, like it was pureed...and i ate it! then i was drinking out of a straw without even realizing it....now im all nervous that ive messed up so much and im only 5 days post up! feeling a little defeated, and this is only the beginning! Geez!

Hey, Rachel is that you? I knew you were staying longer & I didn't get to tell you goodbye. I hope this is you, but, regardless , don't be too hard on yourself about the Soup. If it didn't make u sick, count your blessings & move on. Drinking from a straw can add air to the pouch which can be uncomfortable & we just have to try to do the best we can. I've had my screw ups too. But , I think of it this way, we are eating & drinking a lot healthier than we were before!!!!

You are going to do well. Your determination, independence, & motivation was inspiring. You got this !!!!!

I going shakes at Wal-Mart (silver package with blue writing) that are good. (Not so much the strawberry, but the chocolate - yes. I 'm still walking often, but I'm not over straining myself. I think we can tend to forget that we just went through major surgery & our bodies are in shock & adjusting.

Anyway, I REALLY hope this is you or I'm going to feel silly. I made it back to Nebraska & trying to get in the swing of things.

I'm excited for the journey we are on. I have to remember to take measurements & pictures so I can document my progress.

Take care.

J. Pestel - Nebraska

That's almost identical to me! First 3 days and last two days were the worst. How's your vacation going?

Vacation is going good. Been in San Diego since Friday, going whale watching tmw then heading up to Los Angeles for 2 days before flying home Wednesday :)

Feeling better and better each day. Hard to believe I just had surgery sometimes! My incisions bother me sometimes when my pants or shirt rub against it too much. And I've got is sticky crap on my from where he bandage over my drain was... I can NOT get the stupid stuff off of me!

Ate ok today, but only 30g of Protein. 1 shake ( monster milk), 1/2 c veg broth, 1c apple juice, and 1/2c drinkable yogurt.

Hey, Rachel is that you? I knew you were staying longer & I didn't get to tell you goodbye. I hope this is you, but, regardless , don't be too hard on yourself about the Soup. If it didn't make u sick, count your blessings & move on. Drinking from a straw can add air to the pouch which can be uncomfortable & we just have to try to do the best we can. I've had my screw ups too. But , I think of it this way, we are eating & drinking a lot healthier than we were before!!!! You are going to do well. Your determination, independence, & motivation was inspiring. You got this !!!!! I going shakes at Wal-Mart (silver package with blue writing) that are good. (Not so much the strawberry, but the chocolate - yes. I 'm still walking often, but I'm not over straining myself. I think we can tend to forget that we just went through major surgery & our bodies are in shock & adjusting. Anyway, I REALLY hope this is you or I'm going to feel silly. I made it back to Nebraska & trying to get in the swing of things. I'm excited for the journey we are on. I have to remember to take measurements & pictures so I can document my progress. Take care. J. Pestel - Nebraska

YES MA'AM!! It's me :) I know, I didn't get to say goodbye to most ppl! Glad u made it back safe! I will be home on Wednesday. On our plan now, we r allowed to have drinkable yogurt and creamy soup...I'm dying for a creamy soup but can't find any at a restaurant! So I think I will make a stop at Walmart tomorrow to find some ready to drink Protein Drinks and Soups. I think it will be a lot easier once I'm home too bc I won't be eating out everyday! Still, I am definite looking forward tome day i can eat egg whites or some avocado lol

How r u feeling?

Hey all you sleever vets- did you have problems sleeping afterwards?! I don't know what is going on but I'm 1 week post op and for the last 4 days, I fall asleep, stay asleep for about an hour, then I wake up and cannot fall asleep for hours. Last night I was exhausted, slept for 45mins then was awake until 5:15am! Not sure why?! Getting less than 3 hrs of sleep each night!

Edited by covatila84

Covatila, I didn't have any problems sleeping but then again I've always been the girl who loves a good nap :) Also I saw your post about your Protein intake just that one day and wanted to offer a suggestion if you don't already know about it. Unjury makes chicken broth and unflavored Protein Powder, so you can easily get your protein by adding the chicken flavor to your veggie broth or have it by itself and a little of the unflavored to your drinkable yogurt just to beef up protein in the beginning. Since you don't get much in every sip counts :) I made protein Popsicles out of the Isopure drinks from GNC too

BTW- I was sticky for a few weeks before I felt comfy scrubbing that junk off :) I had also put steri-strips on my incisions for added security-safety (I'm a little accident prone) since I'm always bumping into things.

Edited by back2barb78

Hey all you sleever vets- did you have problems sleeping afterwards?! I don't know what is going on but I'm 1 week post op and for the last 4 days, I fall asleep, stay asleep for about an hour, then I wake up and cannot fall asleep for hours. Last night I was exhausted, slept for 45mins then was awake until 5:15am! Not sure why?! Getting less than 3 hrs of sleep each night!

Unfortunately, that's the story of my life. I fall asleep just fine but then wake up and can't go back to sleep. But I had those issues preop, too. It could partly to be due to your hormones being so whacked initially after surgery. I started drinking "sleepy time extra" tea at bedtime and that has helped. And adds another 8- 12oz Fluid for the day!

Hi everyone it's me again LOL I have a question for you I am almost to weeks post surgery. How long does it take you to be eating and drinking enough to meet your Protein numbers? I am having a very hard time getting in much. Today and we had three glasses of Water and one Protein Shake I'm having a hard time trying to force myself to drink and eat. Any feedback or experiences you could provide are always appreciated :-) thank you!

Hello to all the OCC Sleevers!

I just scheduled my surgery for April 7th. I feel like this is going to be the longest 5 weeks of my life! I am so excited a) to have this procedure done; B) to stop procrastinating and start living; and c) that I have found this thread to share with a group of supportive like-minded individuals who have been through the exact same thing!

Everyone's posts here have done wonders to quell my fears and answer pretty much every question I have had. Now if there was something to soothe the anticipation. :)

I'm really looking forward to the coming weeks and months, and also sharing this journey with all of you!

Hi everyone it's me again LOL I have a question for you I am almost to weeks post surgery. How long does it take you to be eating and drinking enough to meet your Protein numbers? I am having a very hard time getting in much. Today and we had three glasses of Water and one Protein Shake I'm having a hard time trying to force myself to drink and eat. Any feedback or experiences you could provide are always appreciated :-) thank you!

I had a really hard time, too. I certainly didn't get 60g/64oz. every day for even the first month. I mixed up the protein shake flavors, drinkable yogurts, and added unflavored protein powder to dilute, strained cream Soups (broccoli, spinach, mushroom, shrimp, celery, asparagus) and broths. Had to drink from the time I got up till the time I went to bed just to come close. Warm stuff like soups and herbal tea went down easier than the cold shakes and Vitamin waters. It actually got harder to drink enough once I got to puréed and then soft foods because I would get so full I couldn't drink for hours. I just took it really slow and made fluids my priority, only eating one solid thing/day until just this week when I've been able to take in more without feeling uncomfortable. No doubt Dr. Ortiz makes a tight sleeve!