Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Ariel Ortiz at the OCC

I had my sleeve surgery Nov. 30, and I'm still unable to tolerate MOST foods, and some liquids. To this end my doc has been great about prescribing anti nausea meds, but lately has been reluctant to give me refills. I'm taking over the counter antacids, and it seems to help for a couple of hours, then wears off. Sad thing is, I'm hungry. My hunger hasn't gone anywhere. But when I eat, the nausea is crazy! Has anyone else experienced this??

I too had food intolerance for 6-8 months after. Plus, I was hungry sometimes - like crazy hungry. The hunger was helped by acid reducers. The hunger Is better now, but not gone.

For most of my first year, my diet was exclusively tuna, veggie burgers, eggs, chicken breast and green Beans. At about 8 months, I was able to add in other foods, but still get sick after eating any type of potato. It's bizarre.

Wonder why they won't prescribe anti nausea meds? I was taking over the counter omprezole twice daily and it got me over the hump. All I can say is that the hunger/nausea does change and improve over time.

I'm so sorry you're having troubles with eating still, Indigo. What typically are you eating daily that your sleeve doesn't like? I hope it at least will tolerate the basic Proteins. My doctor refused to give me more nausea meds saying she didn't want me taking them long term, so I had to come up with something else. After eating, I either brush my teeth and/or use those little listerine breath spray things to get the taste of food out of my mouth. It helps to keep my mind off of thinking about vomiting too. I keep one close at hand all the time. I really hope you feel better soon. I was miserable for a couple weeks then I turned the corner :) I'm here if you need me

Hi everyone.. :) I am having surgery march 5th with dr. Ortiz.. I have been to every pharmacy looking for a spirometer and no pharmacy besides Walmart had it and they said I need a prescription for it. Where did you buy yours at? I don't want to spend a lot either since it will only be used for shot time.

Hi everyone.. :) I am having surgery march 5th with dr. Ortiz.. I have been to every pharmacy looking for a spirometer and no pharmacy besides Walmart had it and they said I need a prescription for it. Where did you buy yours at? I don't want to spend a lot either since it will only be used for shot time.

Got mine on Amazon. Around $17.

AirLife AirX Incentive Spirometer, Air incentive Spirometer sold by CAREFUSION SOLUTIONS on Amazon. Under 9 bucks and free shipping. They honestly didn't ask me about the IS while at the OCC, but I had it with me.

Hi everyone. Can anyone tell me if you can wear makeup,deodorant,perfume,etc the day of surgery? Dumb question, probably? All I've heard about the day of surgery is to be down in the lobby at 6:10. Help!!!! I'm here and surgery is tomorrow. Oh and yes, I fast after 11:00 and take a shower.

Same, Amazon around $20

Hi everyone. Can anyone tell me if you can wear makeup,deodorant,perfume,etc the day of surgery? Dumb question, probably? All I've heard about the day of surgery is to be down in the lobby at 6:10. Help!!!! I'm here and surgery is tomorrow. Oh and yes, I fast after 11:00 and take a shower.

Don't bother with any of it :) I'm here now, had surgery on Monday. Going to have Soup with my friend in the restaurant at 6pm If u would like to join, i can help with any questions :)

I got up the day of surgery showered, deodorized and laid on that makeup! No stinky woman with a pasty face showing up to meet Dr Ortiz! No sir-ee!! Haha!! You should be fine doing your normal routine.

I got up the day of surgery showered, deodorized and laid on that makeup! No stinky woman with a pasty face showing up to meet Dr Ortiz! No sir-ee!! Haha!! You should be fine doing your normal routine.

Lol I didn't put on my make up because I knew id wake up with black rings under my eyes...I did put deodorant on, but he definitely saw my pasty plain fact hahaha

I am taking Zantac once a day. I am thinking I'm going to bump that up to twice a day for a while to see if that helps. It's been a struggle. I don't get the recommended Protein, the recommended Water, and some days very few calories. I am trying though. Thanks for all your suggestions. Good to know this phase will eventually pass!

I'm taking prescription prilosec starting this week.  I was spending $42/mo buying over the counter, it's only $10/mo to run it through my insurance.  My doc here suggested an endoscopy sometime this summer to check on my acid situation to make sure scar tissue isn't returning.  

I am 2 months out and do most foods within the guidelines fine.  Taking my prilosec 2X per day seems to help me a lot.  If I miss a dose I sure know it.  Even when I take it I still I wake up with wicked acid once in awhile, so bad I get up and chew down a bunch of tums.  The day after those nighttime flameouts I am a little nauseated for most of the day.  That is the only time I have problems with nausea.  I live on premier shakes, cottage cheese, turkey breast, tuna salad, baby bel light cheese, eggs.  I found a place near work that sells small portions of tuna poke which is a nice treat. Quest bars I'm finding (a few a week) help keep me regular.  I'm back at Zumba but have realized just how much muscle I've lost.  I find my muscles fatigue long before I get winded.  I have yet to break a good sweat.  

Indigo, I am SO sorry that you are having a rough time.  I saw a post you made back in December and wondered how you were doing.  Right after surgery I found that a liquid antacid worked better for me, have you tried liquid?  Also, Zantac and Prilosec have different active ingredients, have you tried both?  

Good to hear from everyone!  

You mentioned something I forgot about...nighttime acid. There were several times early on that I would wake up literally choking on stomach acid. I would say months 2-5? Happened maybe 6-8 times. But, it did go away. In hind sight, I believe there is a likelihood the pre op diet, followed by liquid diet and a restricted diet may have also contributed to acid. At least changes to gut bacteria that might influence acid production?

Indigo - hate to hear you are struggling with this. Your idea of increasing meds is good. And I hope it helps! This whole sleeve does change and improve over time. (Since we all went to MX I have also wondered if things like nausea are checked on during follow ups with Bariatric docs for those who had surgery locally? Don't know.)

did you guys struggle at all with the full liquids period from days 4-17? im stuck because im currently in california today until next wednesday....allowed to have Protein Shakes creamy Soups and drinkable yogurts...but its hard being on "vacation" after surgery.... wondering if i should find a food store somewhere and look for some shakes? today when out to lunch, i ordered cream of cauliflower cup of soup...i didnt even realize when i was eating it that it has tiny broccoli bits in it.=, like it was pureed...and i ate it! then i was drinking out of a straw without even realizing it....now im all nervous that ive messed up so much and im only 5 days post up! feeling a little defeated, and this is only the beginning! Geez!