Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did your surgeon/nut say no alcohol? If so, for how long? And how long did you wait before your first drink?

Mine said none for a year (I knew that would be hard) because of the added stress on the liver. I had a glass of wine 6 weeks post op while on vacation-it took me 3 hours to drink one glass because I was nervous of the potential effects. It did hit me more than before surgery(as expected). I used to drink 3-4 glasses a week prior to surgery. I would not advise doing it all the time(I hear many bypass patients become alcoholics post surgery). This is where my tastebuds have changed post surgery -wine just doesn't taste as good as it used to.

I drink and have pretty much since right after surgery. Beer bothers me now, which sucks cause I love beer, but I drink low cal drinks whenever possible, I was never advised against it.

I was told 1 year and have not touched a drop. I am 7.5 months post op so I figure I can certainly wait another 4 months to try.

My brother is an alcoholic and he like you can't resist "just one" drink at the risk of his own health. Everything I have read has said that there should be no alcohol consumed for the first year. Just as your doctor has advised. I think rather than asking "please when can I?" (When you already know). The question you should be asking yourself is "why do I want it even at the risk of my own health?"

I don't say these things from a judgmental perspective. I say these things from a third-party perspective having watched my brother destroy himself. Your need/want for alcohol has nothing to do with VSG. But then you already know that.

Mine said 3 months.

I was told at least a year and then to have my first drink at home because it will affect me totally different t from before surgery.

I was advised not to drink again. I rarely drank anyway. But there were a few reasons... because it will affect us differently because of the size of our stomachs . i.e. you'll get drunker, much faster. I know the no carbonation thing, but the bigger reason my NUT and Surgeon both had for not drinking after surgery, is that the likelihood of changing out addictions is high. food can be exchanged for many other things....gambling, alcohol, drugs, smoking, spending, etc.

Edited by carolm1965

@@innwtitdtity I am from the the same surgical group as you, Dr Krueger is highly respected. I had Dr Collachio. I am 9 days post op, so only completed the Psych Classes last month. We were given a very firm discussion on the practice "rules", which as you know, said no drinking for 1 year. Our Psych then went on to discuss, rather emotionally the increased possibilities of alcoholism after our surgery. She even went so far as to recommend not drinking again, ever. Apparently a former patient had just died that day, as a result of drunk driving, and our Psych was very affected. But she also explained many other patients who were also struggling with drinking after surgery. I understand that struggle all to well as I am a recovering alcoholic, sober 11+ yrs. In fact my research on the co addictions had kept me from exploring surgery sooner. I like to think that I have a healthy fear. and I feel knowledge is ammunition. Just research Alcohol and RNY, there are lots and lots of cases and evidence to help you make an informed choice. For me, I know that if I do not choose the first drink, I will never have to worry about any others. just my two cents. ;)

This is from the ASMBS :

Misconception: Many bariatric patients become alcoholics after their surgery.

Truth:

Actually, only a small percentage of bariatric patients claim to have problems with alcohol after surgery. Most (but not all) who abuse alcohol after surgery had problems with alcohol abuse at some period of time prior to surgery. Alcohol sensitivity, (particularly if alcohol is consumed during the rapid weight-loss period), is increased after bariatric surgery so that the effects of alcohol are felt with fewer drinks than before surgery. Studies also find with certain bariatric procedures (such as the gastric bypass or sleeve gastrectomy) that drinking an alcoholic beverage increases blood alcohol to levels that are considerably higher than before surgery or in comparison to the alcohol levels of individuals who have not had a bariatric procedure. For all of these reasons, bariatric patients are advised to take certain precautions regarding alcohol.

If you're someone who occasionally partakes, there is really no reason not to continue to do so. Telling patients to never drink again is absurd and completely unnecessary. Yes transfer addiction can be a concern but there are many things besides alcohol that are risky. I for one more less became a whore after I lost 100 lbs. Thankfully it wasn't long lived and I came to my senses before I ruined my life and my reputation !

Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate your feedback and insights. By no means will I be drinking in excess (not a practice of mine-ever) but I am a social drinker and will make an informed decision should the situation arise. I did speak to my practitioner prior to going on vacation and she said she would not advise it and I had 10 more months to go before the year was up. I am not hiding anything from my surgeon and when I go to my 3 month follow up I will mention that I had a drink. I know a few RNY patients that drink and do not have any problems-moderation is key I am sure.

This is from the ASMBS :

Misconception: Many bariatric patients become alcoholics after their surgery.

Truth:

Actually, only a small percentage of bariatric patients claim to have problems with alcohol after surgery. Most (but not all) who abuse alcohol after surgery had problems with alcohol abuse at some period of time prior to surgery. Alcohol sensitivity, (particularly if alcohol is consumed during the rapid weight-loss period), is increased after bariatric surgery so that the effects of alcohol are felt with fewer drinks than before surgery. Studies also find with certain bariatric procedures (such as the gastric bypass or sleeve gastrectomy) that drinking an alcoholic beverage increases blood alcohol to levels that are considerably higher than before surgery or in comparison to the alcohol levels of individuals who have not had a bariatric procedure. For all of these reasons, bariatric patients are advised to take certain precautions regarding alcohol.

If you're someone who occasionally partakes, there is really no reason not to continue to do so. Telling patients to never drink again is absurd and completely unnecessary. Yes transfer addiction can be a concern but there are many things besides alcohol that are risky. I for one more less became a ***** after I lost 100 lbs. Thankfully it wasn't long lived and I came to my senses before I ruined my life and my reputation !

I find the wording very interesting in that statement. "Actually, only a small percentage of bariatric patients claim to have problems with alcohol after surgery." Claim, well...I know plenty of alcoholics who won't "claim" they have a problem with alcohol. The closest to me was my own mother, she'd never "claim" she was an alcoholic, but she died of advanced cirrhosis of the liver, due to her drinking. I fail to understand why we are given such wide and wildly different advice from a group of professionals who are all giving us basically the same surgeries. I wish they would get their stories straight. :) It makes me nervous. Why are things so different for so many of us?

Edited by carolm1965

Regarding the differences among each surgeon I am glad they are taking each individual into consideration when providing their guidelines-it makes me feel like they are considering the person and their situation and not just "this is what is done". Not everyone is the same...as we all know...

There is a thread going called "Keep this post going :) things I look forward to not food related".

I love a good glass of Moscato and I love a good piece of cheesecake and jelly and poptarts and snickers. But when I have my surgery on June 15th I choose to give up those things. The thread I mentioned is a great read when you are tempted. It drives the point home what we have all deprived ourselves of being overweight. We chose fat and food over playing with our kids and crossing our legs and riding roller coasters. I choose roller coasters over fat.

There is a thread going called "Keep this post going :) things I look forward to not food related".

I love a good glass of Moscato and I love a good piece of cheesecake and jelly and poptarts and snickers. But when I have my surgery on June 15th I choose to give up those things. The thread I mentioned is a great read when you are tempted. It drives the point home what we have all deprived ourselves of being overweight. We chose fat and food over playing with our kids and crossing our legs and riding roller coasters. I choose roller coasters over fat.

Regarding the differences among each surgeon I am glad they are taking each individual into consideration when providing their guidelines-it makes me feel like they are considering the person and their situation and not just "this is what is done". Not everyone is the same...as we all know...

Iv never known this to be the case and Iv worked in bariatric surgery for years. Yes, every surgeon has their specific beliefs and guidelines however that from what Iv seen is for all of their patients and not an individualized plan unless there would be some very serious health issues to consider or some extenuating circumstances.