Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thinking about Band to Sleeve Revision. I'd love your advice.

Hi - I have had the lap band for 2 years and I hate it. Stuck foods, throwing up. Too tight. Too loose. I have lost only 30 lbs. I have adapted bad eating habits (compensating for lack of food with liquids because of fear of eating and getting stuck). I had my band adjusted by a new doctor yesterday who strongly suggested I would do well with the Sleeve. I'd love anyone's thoughts on this subject. Thank you.

Hello, I had a revision on 11/20/2013, I had the same issues with the band, never could get restriction but yet food was stuck constantly. The revision is the best thing ever for me! It does everything the band was supposed to do. I have never had anything get stuck, I can eat anything but just small amounts. I truly love it and finally enjoying life as a fit and healthy person. I'm about 7 lbs away from my personal goal weight, but according to my doctor I am a total success and hit his goal weight within 11 months of having the surgery. Good luck to you on what ever path you choose.

Hi - I have had the lap band for 2 years and I hate it. Stuck foods, throwing up. Too tight. Too loose. I have lost only 30 lbs. I have adapted bad eating habits (compensating for lack of food with liquids because of fear of eating and getting stuck). I had my band adjusted by a new doctor yesterday who strongly suggested I would do well with the Sleeve. I'd love anyone's thoughts on this subject. Thank you.

Our stories are very similar, I had lost only 30lbs before I started having problems. Had to unfill due to reflux and not being able to get liquids down. I have had no restriction since last year and gain all the weight back. Each time I tried to get a fill I would end up going back for an unfill. Never hit the so called "green zone". I'm now waiting for approval to revision to the sleeve. Best of luck on your journey!

Hi my story is almost word for word the same almost 2 years now only about 20 pounds I feel like i could of done this without the lapband the deal with me was My bmi is not really that high now so I'm not so sure they will aprove the revision Dr says he will do it but he is not sure as well

I share a very similar story too! Got the lap band in 2010 and went through two years of fills with no "sweet spot". Lost about 35 lbs total and had problem after problem. Got a complete unfilled in 2012 and still got stuck and vomited weekly.

I researched revisions at the end of last year and was sold on the sleeve. I met with my surgeon and he was all on board with the sleeve. I went for several GI pre op tests and one came back that the band had damaged my esophagus... Because of this my surgeon felt I would be unsuccessful with the sleeve. I'm now 9 weeks post op bypass and loving it! Down almost 45 lbs.

Very long story short, discuss your decision with your surgeon and make sure he thinks you'd be successful with the sleeve.

Hello, I had a revision on 11/20/2013, I had the same issues with the band, never could get restriction but yet food was stuck constantly. The revision is the best thing ever for me! It does everything the band was supposed to do. I have never had anything get stuck, I can eat anything but just small amounts. I truly love it and finally enjoying life as a fit and healthy person. I'm about 7 lbs away from my personal goal weight, but according to my doctor I am a total success and hit his goal weight within 11 months of having the surgery. Good luck to you on what ever path you choose.

I like hearing stories about people like yourself who are successful with the revision. Would you mind sharing what you did that was successful to your "almost" reaching your goal. I'm only 4 months out and worried about failing.

Here is another perspective. I am a little over 3 weeks band to sleeve revisioned (if that's a word). I was very successful with the band and lost 120 lbs., however, it was not all band. I worked my butt off in the gym to get there. I really liked the band and almost 5 years with the band I discovered early enough that my esophagus was in trouble. So far, I can say the sleeve is very different. I really enjoy the fact that I don't have to worry about PB's and stuck episodes. The restriction with sleeve is very different! Of course, I am way too early to be posting anything, but, thus far I don't have any regrets and like what I am experiencing. I am looking forward to sleeve adventures and weight loss. We'll see what tomorrow brings, but, today is awesome thus far! jake

n

I like hearing stories about people like yourself who are successful with the revision. Would you mind sharing what you did that was successful to your "almost" reaching your goal. I'm only 4 months out and worried about failing.

I too worried about failing, my best advice to you is follow the rules, yes you will have slips but that's okay, that's life, just get back on track and follow the rules! Eat your Protein first, this is a big key to success! If you do over eat at a meal, make the next meal a small one, measure your food if you have to to help avoid over eating. Exercise, at least walk doe 30 min a day, you will be surprised how much this will help. It's not a race, it's a journey so take it a day at a time, someone else may lose faster but that's okay, this is your journey and if you donwhatbyour supposed to do it will work!

Band removed & Sleeve done 5/27/15. Mind you I was first Banded in 2010 then Band replaced in 2014. I had success in the beginning with the Band, then the slips & not being able to tolerate food. Also the Band is not a FOREVER thing in which is not told in the beginning. I work in the medical field & 3 Nurses that had the Band for 7 plus years revised to sleeve & the Scar tissue from the band had started attaching to the Liver. My scar tissue wasn't bad at all being that I just had it replaced in 2014. I'm in the healing process but thanking GOD everyday that I not only maintained, but that I'm making it through day by day. Much success to each of you.

I revised 3.5 years ago lost over 160# and have kept off 150 of em. :)

My experience was band relied on restriction /pain...the sleeve less so. my sleeve is predictable calm and doesn't magically toss back "bad" foods. What it does is reduce hunger and capacity ...which combined with following bariatric guidelines achieves weight loss.

The sleeve has been what the band promised but never delivered.

I had a lap band 2004 lost only about 20 pounds. I decided 4 years later to follow-up with my surgeon. At that time found a leak in the port that was changed and I lost 85 pounds and kept the weight off until fall 2013, another problem with the band.. I decided to get a sleeve. I got the sleeve 1/2014 which was unsuccessful. I was always hungry, no restrictions. I gained a total of 40 pounds before I was resleeve May 19th and have lost 12 pounds so far. I feel great, not hungry. I know with the sleeve there wasn't enough stomach removed according to the upper GI series. I had no problems with removal of the band. I am glad the band is gone because of all the food restriction. I couldn't eat salads, chicken, etc without vomiting, feeling like food was stuck. I think the resleeve is working and so glad I had it done!

Yes I was told by radiologist and the surgeon that did my lapband in the U.S. that my stomach was left too large and the reason for always hungry was too much of the fungus was left in place. I feel totally different this time. I am not hungry now and I can only take in 2-3 ounces at a time and feel full. I went to Mexico for the resleeve and not the same surgeon who did the sleeve. He offered a gastric bypass or a band around the stomach that was left. I feel great!

I had the band in 2012 and lost 80 lbs. Then it just stopped and I started throwing up pretty much everything I ate. All the fill adjustments both in and out weren't helping at all. So 2 weeks ago I had the band removed and a sleeve done instead. So far, so good. No more throwing up and everything I've tried has stayed down with no problems. I'm very happy I did it.

That is great. I have done great since I was resleeved. I am not hungry and I feel my restriction this time. I saw my doctor in the states and he could definitely see a change in the size of my pouch. I have lost 18 pounds now. I am glad my band is gone. I like being able to eat all foods just small portions