Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where are you on your weight loss journey?

Hi my name is Ashley Osgood, living in Colorado Springs CO. I started my journey for weight loss in December 2014. I had my gall bladder out in December by Dr Wilcox. He happened to be the head surgeon for weight loss surgery at Ft. Carson. That was the beginning for a whole new outlook on life then. I took a few months to think about the surgery and its complications. My mother in law lives with my husband and I. She was less than thrilled to hear of my decision for weight loss surgery. She is absolutely against it and is very vocal about it. Praying for our own place away from her very soon. Anyways I have completed my extensive checklist for tricare approval for surgery. I was finally cleared for surgery on 05/14/15, I was so excited I almost bawled!!! I made the soonest appointment with my surgeon June 10, yeah that seems like such a long wait for something you are looking forward to. Hopefully I can be seen earlier if possible. The wait times for actual surgery after you see your surgeon is about 3 weeks. looks like i might be a July sleever.

Ashley....don't worry about what your MIL says. Believe me, I had the most controlling MIL in the entire universe. If listened to her about half of the things she was opposed to I would not be married or have my precious daughter. Stand up for yourself....You have do what is best for you!

I have been very blessed. I am not quite three weeks post op and I have had no real issues...no vomiting, nausea or reflux. Three days after surgery I was up and dressed and driving!

I am 51 and in the super obese category. I knew WLS was an option not never considered it because "I could do this if I really wanted to". When a friend had the surgery and was talking about BMI, I checked mine and it was quite the slap in the face to see I was beyond morbid obesity and was over 50%. It was the eye opener I needed. Funny but now that my eyes are opened I am disgusted by my body. I never truly saw myself as fat.

I don't have insurance so i will be a self-pay so no hoops to jump through. I have taken the first step and have had my pre surgery testing done and am waiting for blood work results to come back. Once I am cleared with that, they will schedule me for surgery. I expect to be a June Sleever.

Good luck with your gastric bypass. I am three weeks post bypass, doing overall well. There is a lot to learn, new skills, and so much information! I agree -- it is tough for my relatives (dozens in the area) to see why I did this fairly drastic step, but they were not there with me during the dozens or hundreds of times I failed at weight loss. Yes, some have judged me but most are very glad I am doing well. Your MIL is just reacting from fear -- she does not want to rock the status quo, but good for you, it is your life and your body!

Thank goodness she does not have Power of Attorney over your healthcare! Isn't it great and liberating to be a woman "fully growed" who can make her own heathcare decisions? You go girl!!! Do what YOU feel is right for YOU. I wish you good luck and good health. Plus having your own place will be amazing, and MIL will just have to cope without having baby boy at her beck and call, won't she?????

I forgot ot mention.....I am 63 and 15 1/2 months out from my sleeve surgery. I am closing in on my goal and insurance will cover a panniculectomy after my two year anniversary in late December. At this point now, the weight is coming off in micrograms instead of pounds, but I will never again be as big and unhealthy as I was. You hang in there. The pre- and early post op inconvenience, discomfort and aggravation is worth it. It's all good - and quite temporary - a right of passage, so to speak.

I just celebrated my three year bandiversary!! I was initially 245 and got down to 180 but now I'm at 200. So frustrated but I take full responsibility. This winter I spent a lot of time indoors and ate a lot. But I joined the gym two months ago and it seems I'm still gaining not losing. And now I barely keep any food down getting stuck often so made appt for xray to make sure my band hasn't slipped. My journey has been good I'm thankful for my health and a successful surgery and even though im at 200lbs in not at 245!!! I need to make eure I never go back but I'm scared and confused. I need help, support, suggestions, words or wisdom. Thanks!!!

Ashley, congratulations on your decision. Maggie, self pay is much quicker. Less than 2 months for me. Miss Mac, you have done great!!! Everfeels, hope they get your band sorted.

Hi I'm Kathy this August it will be two years since the sleeve. Did so well till this year boy im struggling not to eat junk again!!! It's such a battle don't even like them uni I eat and I should be nearly 10kg lighter and I love exercise yet haven't done any for a month so dissapointed in myself and don't know how to get back on track can any one please please help me get back on track please

5 years out from lap band and 9 weeks out from revision! I had the band taken out and had the bypass done. I had nothing but issues with that horrible band and I couldn't be happier with where I am. 45 lbs down and more active than ever! Good luck guys, it's worth it!

FINISHED.....I lost weight, surpassed any goals I set (I'm not on a diet) and continued loosing until my body reached the "Optimal" body fat %...then settled there....have not gained or lost since.

Every Journey has a beginning, and must have an end....otherwise we are wandering around lost.

I prefer to call it a "Process"

Yay B 52! So glad you found your right spot!

There is a group that I am heavily involved in on Facebook called All Things Bariatric. It is a closed group, so tell the administrator that Ashley Cuff Osgood sent you. Everyone there is so amazing, supportive and gives the kick in the butt needed. If you are having struggles both pre and post weight loss surgery, this is THE place to be!!!

Ashley, it must be a secret group as I can't find it on FB. If you can add people, will you add me? My FB name is choosehope Memphis. Thanks!

B-52, you are an inspiration for this 4 mos. post bypass guy. You seem to have it in control and are enjoying life.

THANK YOU!