Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello Bandsters,

So I have some questions. I got banded on 3/5/15 and had my first fill on 5/4/15. My Dr gave me 4CC for my first fill and told me I had about 0.5CC in my band from the surgery bringing my total fill to ~ 4.5CC. Since being filled my appetite has been severely diminished. I can get full very easily now. I can also eat whatever I want without fear of a stuck episode. At first the weight was flying off but the last month and half I have been losing 1-2 pounds a week. I have lost almost 30 lbs since my pre-surgery liver shrinking diet so nothing to scoff at but the weight isn't flying off either. So my question is should I just live with the 4.5CC or I should I get another fill? The Dr wants to give me another 2CC if I see him again. I am really afraid of having stuck episodes but I also want to lose weight a little quicker. I am considering just living with the 4.5CC or asking the Dr to just give me 1 more CC. I am really torn lol. Any advice?

I am currently consuming about 1200-1500 calories a day. Before the band I was consuming in excess of 3000 calories a day. My exercise routine is severely lacking as I have been dealing with a couple of stress fractures in my foot.

Thanks,

Rizzle01

Men do usually lose a bit faster but 1-2 lbs a week is what is usually given as an expected speed of loss after the initial faster loss.

Hi there you are doing great! There are a couple of links in my signature below that helped me understand how the band works and how to work the band. It is not about restriction, it's about the transmission of signals between your esophagus and your brain. Chewing is where it's at. If your appetite is dimmed it sounds to me like you're in the green zone. For me I'd be there then would lose weight and drop out of the zone and need a little fill. My surgeon was of the small frequent fills school of thought, which I think was good as I needed the time in-between to address behavior modification like slowing down, etc. every one is different. I kept all of my appointments even if I wasn't getting a fill -- that contact really helped me, having a partner in the process. No need to rush your weight loss and risk being overly-tight -- people gain weight in the red zone. No sliders, that's my policy.

You may find that you go in and out of green over the first year. I did. Your weight loss each week is impressive. I don't advise too tight either but listen to your doc about why he wants another fill. My NP talked me into two tiny tiny fills I didn't think I wanted and she was right. I also have found that, a year out, I cannot lose while eating or drinking more than 1200 calories per day. And I have started exercising. Middle age sux.

I can also eat whatever I want without fear of a stuck episode. ....... So my question is should I ... get another fill? The Dr wants to give me another 2CC if I see him again.......Any advice?

I am currently consuming about 1200-1500 calories a day. Before the band I was consuming in excess of 3000 calories a day.

Congrats on being off to a good start!

I'd refer to parts of your post:

Recently banded.

You can eat whatever you want.

Your Doctor wants to give you a fill.

You're currently consuming 12-1500 calories compared to 3000 pre band.

Since you asked for advice/opinion,

Being recently banded, you've got that strong desire to lose....WILLPOWER to the max!

Anyone who wants too can successfully diet for a couple of months. I've done it several times myself....as I'm sure most on these boards have.

Your willpower is described in the part of your post where you say you can eat whatever you want....but you're only consuming 12-1500 calories vs 3000 pre band. Can YOU continue to do that longterm?

You trusted your surgeon to do your surgery. I'd trust his opinion on needing another fill. Willpower only last for so long.

Best wishes on your continued success!

Ok, let me clarify, my Dr. Wants to give me another fill if I don't feel any restiance from the 1st fill. I most definetly feel the resistence in that I get full easily (I can eat 1/2 medium sandwich for lunch instead of a full large sandwich with chips). I still find myself wanting to snack about 3 hour later but I try to wait until the next meal. I don't always wait though. I almost always have a mid-day snack anything from a string cheese to a P3 Protein pack. I also usually have an evening snack of sugar free pudding or similar. The Dr doesn't really want to have to snack very much but I feel like I am keeping the snacking to a minimum (amount of calories). I can't stress how afraid of having stuck episodes I am. I am leaning towards asking him for another 1CC. I think that might be appropriate? He is also of the mind that it is easier to manage more frequent small fills than overshoot it.

Ok, let me clarify, my Dr. Wants to give me another fill if I don't feel any restiance from the 1st fill. I most definetly feel the resistence in that I get full easily (I can eat 1/2 medium sandwich for lunch instead of a full large sandwich with chips). I still find myself wanting to snack about 3 hour later but I try to wait until the next meal. I don't always wait though. I almost always have a mid-day snack anything from a string cheese to a P3 Protein pack. I also usually have an evening snack of sugar free pudding or similar. The Dr doesn't really want to have to snack very much but I feel like I am keeping the snacking to a minimum (amount of calories). I can't stress how afraid of having stuck episodes I am. I am leaning towards asking him for another 1CC. I think that might be appropriate? He is also of the mind that it is easier to manage more frequent small fills than overshoot it.

We all do it our own way, some would say just go for a fill; my own way was always never go for a fill unless I was 100% sure, if I was asking - I waited!

What you describe is my "norm". I eat a sensible amount, don't feel hungry for a few hours. Head hunger turns up if I am bored. If I am busy, it doesn't.

Some like a very tight band; I am paranoid about being too tight!

Fills can be as small as 0.1 cc.

My last three fills were 0.1 cc each.

Wow! Thanks guys. You have given me a lot to think about.