Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

WHAT DID YOU CHOOSE RNY OVER VSG?

I have my surgery scheduled for RNY on 5/26/15 and although I started this journey wanting to do the sleeve I did change my mind after talking to some nurses at the doct. office..... the thing that got to me was when she said alot of people that do the sleeve come back in and regret it and wish they would of just done the RNY to begin with. Ive read others that feel this same way... but now I wondering am I making the best decision for myself... I just want to do this right ... anyone change there surgery during the pre-op?

Edited by WAEE01

I really struggled to decide between the 2 options as well. I have decided on having gastric bypass for several reasons.I like that bypass has been around longer and although the sleeve is less invasive the fact that surgeons have been doing RNY longer brings me comfort in knowing that they have more experience with this procedure. I also like that gastric bypass does statistically have a little more of a long term success rate than VSG (I feel like I could use all of the help I can get). I have heard from a few sleevers that they have experienced dumping syndrome where as it will most likely definitely happen with bypass. I think of this more as a pro than a con. I like that I will have some extra accountability. Of course there are other factors to think about as well. If you have certain co-morbidities for example some people choose bypass if they have diabetes because it is known to help this immediately. You really need to think about what will be best for you health wise as well as the personal and emotional piece. You need to live with this for the rest of your life so make sure that whatever choice you make that it is for you and not for anyone else. Best of luck to you on your journey!

My surgery is June 4 and I went in asking for sleeve and ended up at RNY mostly because I was having BAD acid reflux that day and she said with the sleeve that reflux can get much worse. I wasn't willing to do RNY in the beginning but 4 months later, I think I am finally ok with it. 1) Acid reflux / GERD elimination; 2) Type 2 Diabetic and RNY will resolve (mostly); 3) Longer track record; 4) My surgeon does A LOT Of sleeve to RNY revisions. She just said that many sleevers end up revising. I don't want to do this twice...

Diabetes, I'm on three types of Mede two are insulin so the main reason is to hopefully decrease or get rid of it

I was looking at getting the sleeve also. I decided on the gastric bypass though because my BMI is so high and because of diabetes.

I picked gastric sleeve over the bypass because it was less evasive. I also picked gastric sleeve because I have friends who have had the bypass who have gain some weight back.As well as sleeved friends who have gain weight after 3 years. No matter what you choose you must do the work such as eat healthy and work out. Good luck blessing to you all

I chose bypass ( done on 4/28). I didn't have diabetes, but with a strong family history for it, I wanted the procedure that would keep that out of my future. I also felt like sleeve had a greater likelihood of causing GERD, which I didn't want to deal with at all. I also preferred having the detached part of my stomach remain in my body, in case something is needed in the future.

I also have close family who've had sleeve and Lapland, I kind of wanted to be the outlier, having RNY.

I chose RNY because the stats show more weight loss over the long haul with it over the band and VSG. Or at least those are the stats that I've seen from my surgeon and elsewhere. I just really want to lose as much as I can and maintain it as much as possible.

I chose RNY because I needed the metabolic fix. I am pre diabetic (PCOS w/ insulin resistance) and it has been proven to resolve insulin issues. Also, RNY has more published research than sleeve, and a longer proven track record. Research also shows that those that have the RNY surgery lose more weight than those that have the VSG surgery. And lastly I think dumping syndrome will keep me honest and on the right track.

I went with my dr advice. He said it was the best option for me. I just want to do this once and many come back to get R&Y after the others failed. Not that they fail for everyone! Just his opinion.

I am still in the beginning process of the journey. I had my first appointment on May 4 and I went and wanting the sleeve. I told him upfront about A lot of my indigestion and belching issues. I wonder if it's the cokes and if it will go away once I quit drinking them? However, he said based on the indigestion that he would advise that I do the bypass and explained why. I walked out with a frown, however I'm going to do what the doctor suggestion.

And lastly I think dumping syndrome will keep me honest and on the right track.

I feel the same way.

Louise

I chose the sleeve originally but told myself I would be open to the bypass if my surgeon could calm my concerns about it such as the multiple connections being more risky for leaks. I also use NSAIDs for pain which is not good for the gastric bypass pouch but since talking to my surgeon I've been taking Tylenol more and am hoping my knee pain and menstrual pain improves with my weight loss. My surgeon told me that he believes that both the sleeve and the bypass would work great for me its just the bypass is a bit more powerful, so over the following month and a half to two months of my program there I thought about it and I decided on the bypass and recently signed my consent form for it.

Thanks everyone for the response! I have done alot of soul searching and I am definetely going with the RNY... i feel this is best for me and my future!!! On the count down.... 8 days left till a new me! 5/26/15