Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you do your meals?

I'm officIally on my 3 week foods tomorrow. I have no idea how to get my self on a schedule to where I'm not eating every two hours. I still need 2 Protein Shakes a day to get my 60g of Protein in. Can someone give me an example of how to start eating right. I have tuna Beans eggs grits sf pudding carrots green beans yogurt applesauce and bananas. I'm so confused. I also haven't lost a pound since I had my surgery on 4/27. HELP!!!!

First of all, don't worry about weight loss at the moment. You have had a major op, and are eating in a peculiar manner! Loss will happen!

It is hard for anyone to tell you how to eat at three weeks as you are still in the early post-op stage and how you eat must be according to your own doctor's plan.

But, once again, don't worry yet about eating every two hours. You are still not on real, solid foods and so the band is not working properly yet.

Edited by KateP

What type of weight loss surgery did you undergo?

I am 24 months post-op on RNY. The requirements are similar to sleeve. The first thing to understand is food is not very important in the early stages after surgery. Your body is converting the stored fats into energy to drive your body. As a result, you lose weight. The most important thing in this stage is making sure you meet your Protein, Fluid and Vitamin daily requirements.

In the beginning, you must rely on Protein shakes to meet your Protein requirements. I do not like to drink protein shakes; they taste awful. To me they imply somehow that they are like a milkshake. This they are not. The goal is to find a Protein shake that you can tolerate. So experiment. There are a variety of types available. If you go with the Protein powder, I suggest you use an electric blender (such as a Ninja single serve blender) to get the proper consistency. That also allows you to blend in a banana which will generally improve the taste.

I promise the loss will come. Just keep focused on liquids and Protein and follow the plan your doctor gave you. It was probably 2 weeks before I started dropping and then it came very fast.

Now seven months later I fight for every single pound.

I have some drinks that I love so Protein ain't my issue. I just didn't know if I was screwing up. I'm 13 days out and haven't lost an ounce

After the operation, generally they pump you full of fluids. So that you actually gain several pounds in the hospital by the time you return home. So you may have gained some weight and then lost it in the past 13 days.

Your body is in a heal mode at the moment, and I wouldn't be too concerned about weight loss at the moment.

Even at 17 months out I still eat every 2-3 hours because that's when I'm hungry. And I still have a 30-40g / 24-32oz protein/fiber smoothie to get in all my Protein and fluids. (I add insoluble Fiber to keep my BM's regular) For meals/snacks I shoot for Protein first, but also try and get veggies, fruit and good carbs in every day.

Just concentrate on making good food choices, creating new healthy habits, and stay off the scale for awhile. Enjoy the NSV's

The same thing happened to me. I was a month out and only lost 10 lbs. I was PISSED. I griped and moaned, "how can this happen? I'm not eating anything! Am I one of those special cases where the person has a weight loss surgery and doesn't lose not one pound?"

For me, the issue was Water retention, and I wasn't having regular bowel movements. That can sort of disguise any weight loss as a stall, or even create a 'false' weight gain (meaning it's not fat weight) on the scale. As the weeks go by your body will have no choice but to let go of that fat. You've got two things working in your favor.

1) you can't physically take in anything to slow down weight loss

2) at some point your body has to give up the fight to hold on to the fat.

It's inevitable, and I know as each week goes by it seems like nothing is happening but it is. By the end of next month you'll see a difference. Just focus on healing and getting in your Protein and fluids.

That's how I feel...like my surgery didn't "take" lol. Now I feel as though I'm eating to much when in reality I'm maybe eating 600 calories tops. I'm really just one of these who get obsessed over it. Drives me nuts lol.