Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm scared I'll be saggy....

It's hard to predict how your skin will react or your body will reshape, but you are very young. That should really help! A lot of it relates to genetics and your age.

Go into it with the best attitude possible - "Things may not be perfect, but I will do my best to get the best results (strength training, drinking Water, Protein, etc."). Doing our best is all we can do. Set your worries free and relax in that thought - doing your best is all you can do.

Focus on goal #1: getting healthy! Worry about the rest later. One thing at a time. High blood pressure at your age, combined with borderline diabetes is very, very serious in terms of heart health. I can't state that enough - the combination of the three things you mentioned are catastrophic, especially as you age. However you lose the weight, you have to get those things under control. (weight, sodium, exercise, lean Protein, low carbs -- don't wait to focus on those things; start right now!) You should be way more scared of that combination than about sagging skin. Sorry to be so harsh.

When I was younger (but still older than you! ~31), I lost 100 lbs and looked fabulous. I am your height and was about 10 lbs less than your weight. I didn't have any skin sag problems when I lost it. I did work out 5 times a week, both aerobic and strength. Unfortunately, eventually, (after I had a baby) I did gain it back. That is why I did the surgery. I don't want to have large ups and downs anymore. I need a more permanent tool to keep the weight down.

I wish you the best! You have a great opportunity before you to turn things around. See if you can find a mantra that will resonate with you to calm your fears. Say it every day, every morning. Our thoughts are very powerful. Best wishes!

I am MUCH older than you, so I expected saggy skin. Is it disappointing to me, yes. What balances that out is the sheer joy of seeing those numbers slide down on the scale. I hope that you make a decision based on your future health, saggy skin can always be dealt with.

I'm saggy right now. I don't care for it that much but here's the deal - You can cover up saggy. You cannot cover up fat.

I'm 5'2'' was at 250 on my surgery I'm about 6 months out 60 lbs lost and only 30yrs old I was extremely worried about excess skin and sagging but I have no problems with it ur age will help make a big difference in the elasticity of our skin as long as u follow ur doctors orders and exercise ull be fine

I'm 5'2'' was at 250 on my surgery I'm about 6 months out 60 lbs lost and only 30yrs old I was extremely worried about excess skin and sagging but I have no problems with it ur age will help make a big difference in the elasticity of our skin as long as u follow ur doctors orders and exercise ull be fine

At 60 pounds lost I had no sagging either. But it's not fair to tell someone they're young so they'll be fine. I'm 29, younger than you, and I've lost 98 since my highest weight and I'm just now starting to see some sagging. If you need to lose 100 pounds or more, you will most likely have some loose/saggy skin.

@@reeny Thank you Reeny for expressing what you have experienced.

Now that I am not typing via my phone and can actually elaborate more on what I was trying to say while not getting my head torn off my other people.....

The dietician explained to me that a lot has to do with age, ethnicity (for the elasticity of the skin. Usually Latinos have better luck with elasticity in their skin, mainly due to natural oily skin), coco butter lotion helps quite a bit.

I am 41yrs old and I am of Spanish ethnicity, so the oily skin is of help with the elasticity. Losing weight slowly rather than rapid weight loss also help a lot as it gives time for the skin to recover. It is going to be perfect? NO. It is there going to be hard work on your part? YES. Will there be chances that skin will sag and you may need a Tummy Tuck? Yes there is always a chance. Nothing is perfect.

I didn't mean to provide "pie in the sky" or false hopes to the original poster. I simply stated what was said to me, and I was limited to go into conversation further as I was texting my reply.

But, nothing surprises me from the kind of feedback I got, with women jumping down my throat assuming I gave false hope or anything of the like. I have seen that type of behavior in many other posts and it is disgusting to say the least.

I am not here to make virtual friends. I am simply here to learn from others, and give feedback on topics that I may relate to in hopes that it helps or brings awareness of sorts.

Life is too short to be bitter and jump down people's throat just because you assumed the opinion of another person not to be ideal.

I am sure you can Google around more information that may be of a positive note and speak with a professional.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/116397-prevent-sagging-skin-during-weight/

Maybe this link will help some as well.

Here are two YouTube videos from women who lost weight and were left with saggy skin. I found these very helpful when making the decision to have surgery.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qYBInhWR2gU&autoplay=1

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wHiq9hckbIQ&autoplay=1

Edited by krisrpaz

I lost 120 pounds with diet when I was 22 and my skin sagged pretty bad. And I was young and hydrated. Over the years I have managed to fill that saggy skin back out and then some. But even as a vain, self-absorbed 22 year old, the saggy skin was exponentially better than being fat. I know that after being sleeved I will have loose saggy skin again but I don't care. I want to be healthy and feel good. I don't need to wear a bikini, I would settle for a sundress or shorts. I see the concern about saggy skin so often and it boggles my mind that someone would even consider staying fat rather than be healthy with some loose skin.

You are young enough that, if you exercise, your saggy skin will likely be little to none. Operative words: if...and ... exercise.

Also, if your doctor recommends (whatever), and it's a doctor you trust, why be non-compliant? If they gave you something like Metformin, it might actually jumpstart your weight loss (as it does for most patients). But check with them re what they Rx.

Saggy skin or no, losing the weight is a good thing to do. It'll be worth it.

PS: Don't be scared you'll be saggy; be happy you'll be healthy!

Please, please reconsider at least the high blood pressure meds and diabetic meds. I was on a diabetic drug for years as an off label use for PCOS. Metformin and Byetta can both help with weight loss. For 10 month prior to surgery I was on meds for high blood pressure. I was able to stop the Metformin the day of surgery as it was not for diabetes and one week after surgery I could stop the blood pressure meds and my blood pressure was normal.

Many insurance companies require you to have a 6 month supervised diet prior to WLS approval. You didn't become diabetic or get high blood pressure from being over weight over night. Take the meds while you work on the diet and before surgery. Make sure you get a blood pressure monitor for home and make sure your doctor monitors your blood sugar, A1Cs etc.. frequently. You can always come off the meds when you no longer have the high blood pressure or diabetes.

As far as the skin sagging, that is cosmetic and much less important than losing the weight so you don't have the high blood pressure, high cholesterol and diabetes. At your age and weight it is less likely that you will have super saggy compared to somebody that was heavier, older and was heavier longer.

I am almost 47. I don't think I will have any saggy skin on my arms, butt or legs. I will likely be left with some on the boobs, belly. It is much easier to hide 10 or 12 pounds of saggy skin than 120 pounds of fat. If in the long run you have some saggy skin and it continues to bother you then you can always save your pennies for some plastics.

Once again, please consider taking the medicines your doctors want you to take. Do not let the thought of saggy skin dissaude you from getting WLS. I was 257 pounds at my heaviest and I am 5'3. I am down to 200.8 pounds and am 3 months out from surgery. I feel so much more energetic and flexible. The WLS was the best thing I could have done for my health and mental well being, sagging skin not withstanding.

Big Opie--

There is no shame admitting that you have low self-esteem. As such, it may feel easier to focus on the scary, dare I say, superficial aspects of weight-loss. But as someone who had high blood pressure, high cholesterol and difficult-to-control Diabetes, (I have Type I--autoimmune diabetes. Mine can't be cured) I urge you put the physical appearance aspects aside for a minute. Your body is sending you strong signals that it is breaking down and will continue to break down at your current weight. Your very life is in jeopardy.

Since my surgery my cholesterol is normal, my blood pressure is normal, my insulin levels have decreased drastically, I have no more sleep apnea, no more A-fib... the list goes on. And in terms of vanity, I love being a size 8-10. I don't care if my belly will always be flabby. You can't see the flab under my clothes, bathing suits, or lingerie.

This is the best decision I have ever made and I hope you make it too!

Every body is different and you will have to wait to see how things turn out with yours. My cousin started out a lot heavier than I was. He's 5 years younger. He had virtually no draping skin after he lost weight. I had surgery at age 47. I started at 230 and dropped below 120 at times and my abdomen and thighs are saggy BUT i've gained and lost a lot of weight twice and I think that contributed.

I agree with everybody else that having saggy skin is far better than being obese and unhealthy. Sure, I don't wear bikinis but I get cute tankini's from Title Nine and I don't think anybody is horrified to look at me. I used to go to work and the supermarket and that was it. Now I'm out doing all sorts of things.

@@Big Opie

I think everyoner has thought about saggy skin and been very nervous about it. I know I have. I started out over 300lbs so i know it is inevitable. I actually love my skin believe it or not. I know this sounds a little crazy so forgive me but I think it is kind of a good thing. I am noticing my body change already its only been 7 1/2 weeks since my surgery. I look at the changes and I am reminded of the nightmare of not being able to bend or the dread of having to walk a long distance. i have more pep in my step and can finally breathe easier. I like my floppy skin. I have thought about possible plastic surgery in the future and I came to the conclusion that its the same skin I have had for my whole entire life and guess what? I love every floppy inch of it. Try to think of your skin as being your friend. its the biggest organ we have and it is our protector. I think once you start looking at your skin with love now you will then be able to love it no matter what it looks like. Now as for that stomach of mine I was glad to be seperated from it cause it would make me do things I regreted....lol. Stay focued on the weight loss first and then worry about the aesthetics later. Health first, Beauty last. After all. we are all going to end up with the same aging outer shell and all we need to worry about doing is getting to that age and that is where your health is key.