Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fear of STRETCHING Sleeve!

Whether it stretches (dilates) or not at end of day what matters is what goes into our mouths.

Yes, I agree completely, however if It was just that easy, why would anyone have had surgery to begin with ? We obviously needed a tool and I can only speak for myself but when mine stretched out I had NO tool to help me at all.

I am sorry you are having these challenges.

Yes the sleeve is a tool but the control center for that tool is the brain which is why at least for me, all the counseling I go through and mindfulness I practice helps my brain keep my sleeve in line (not that you didn't do everything right.)

It does stink that there's an issue of the fundus dilating as there's no 100% guarantees on this thing. I had an acquaintance who had bypass and she is back at ground zero again.

At the risk of sounding optimistic (I am so not an optimistic personality, lol) I'll say focus on your triumphs and keep it moving.

Best of health to you and everyone! :)

Excuse me LL, i didnt insult anyone i made a generalization about people who act like they somehow possess knowledge that the entirety of the medical community does not. This person stated that her sleeve stretched and she could verify this because she failed at losing weight therefore the sleeve stretched, which is like saying mcdonalds made me fat not my unhealthy eating and lifestyle.

Yes as you know this kind of thing is infuriating to me. I am on a mission to stop ignorance and misinformation from being spread about WLS, and to see this happening directly here of all places, where people try to make a haven to help others, is simply abhorrent. Worse is people take what is said to heart so there are now people who believe the sleeve will fail them rather than they failing themselves. It gives people an excuse to fail, it is an enabler to allow them a way out.

I'm sorry but, you yourself have had some famous run ins with people outside of here and expressed your displeasure shall we say , at their ignorance. Well this is me doing the same. If people come on here promoting spurious half truths and outright ignorant advice that could cause people to either fail or make it more difficult to succeed, they can expect to be taken to task for doing so.

Excuse me LL, i didnt insult anyone i made a generalization about people who act like they somehow possess knowledge that the entirety of the medical community does not. This person stated that her sleeve stretched and she could verify this because she failed at losing weight therefore the sleeve stretched, which is like saying mcdonalds made me fat not my unhealthy eating and lifestyle.

Yes as you know this kind of thing is infuriating to me. I am on a mission to stop ignorance and misinformation from being spread about WLS, and to see this happening directly here of all places, where people try to make a haven to help others, is simply abhorrent. Worse is people take what is said to heart so there are now people who believe the sleeve will fail them rather than they failing themselves. It gives people an excuse to fail, it is an enabler to allow them a way out.

I'm sorry but, you yourself have had some famous run ins with people outside of here and expressed your displeasure shall we say , at their ignorance. Well this is me doing the same. If people come on here promoting spurious half truths and outright ignorant advice that could cause people to either fail or make it more difficult to succeed, they can expect to be taken to task for doing so.

You absolutely insulted someone IMO.

As for my "famous run ins"? First, there is nothing "famous" about me. I'm a boring old mom. Second, as you can see from this thread, I (along with many others) am able to disagree without making personal insults and innuendos.

Yes, your style and mine are COMPLETELY different and I can't help but shake my head at your need to come into a good AMICABLE debate/discussion and throw gas and a match on a fire that doesn't exist. That floors me.

It's my OPINION that one should debate the argument, NOT the opinion holder.

I never in any way said I could verify this because I failed at losing weight ! I said I could verify this because I had xray pics which I provided of not only my personal pouch but of others as well.

There is NO ignorance or misinformation here, there has been a discussion about the information provided by personal experiences and by the medical community.

And, since I am a glass half full kind of person, I assume people take this information and use it in a positive way to be more adamant about making changes, exercising and not taking risks with their sleeve instead of "giving people an excuse to fail." Which btw, since you don't know me or my situation have no right to make those statements about me. I lost over 100 lbs with the lapband and maintained it for 6 years, the sleeve has been a Detour for me yes, but "failure" I'm sorry, that word doesn't now nor will it ever describe me. Have I gained some weight ? Yes, but have I stopped trying or pursuing my goals ? Hell no !

I truly hope that no one out there experiences their sleeve stretching or losing their tool, it's not an experience I would wish on anyone but I will hold with my original opinion, the sleeve can stretch ! We've seen it with every weight loss surgery out there and IMHO to go around believing you are "safe" from that happening is a disservice to anyone who has had surgery because the simple fact is we don't know for absolute certainty that it won't.

@@Babbs ...

Thanks for that video about post-VSG stomach stretching / not stretching. Very clear. Very simple.

It makes great sense to me regarding VSGs that were done *standardly* (the new stomachs were shaped using small-enough bougies, e.g., 34-36F) on *normal* shaped / sized stomachs (that aren't misshapen or injured or unusually long or short).

Our eating and drinking choices and behaviors are critical to our future (short- and long-term) success. However, it all begins with and depends on the skills of our surgeon to give us sleeves that will be a good tool going forward.

Can some VSG patients suffer from outlier / very unusual circumstances? Surely. But I assume that the vast majority of us just need to do what we need to do post-op: Make good eating and exercise choices / behaviors long-term.

@@Band07 ... I hope you get your own situation resolved and fixed to your satisfaction with a good result. Best wishes.

Just be wary that the 90-100 grams of Protein can be detrimental to your kidneys. If your nutritionist says so then so be it. I could never get that much...60- 75 grams is what I aim for.

You should do a little research on the matter, before offering your "expertise":

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/high-protein-safe-for-kidneys

And, btw, even most of the people who claim that Protein is bad for the kidneys wouldn't consider 100 grams too much, depending on the person's weight.

^^^^ Very interesting study, @@Jamie Logical ... thanks.

Spoiler alert -- high-Protein (HP) and resistance (weight) training (RT) increases weight loss (pounds lost) by nearly 70% and nearly doubles the amount of body fat lost.

Just be wary that the 90-100 grams of Protein can be detrimental to your kidneys. If your nutritionist says so then so be it. I could never get that much...60- 75 grams is what I aim for.

You should do a little research on the matter, before offering your "expertise":

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/high-protein-safe-for-kidneys

And, btw, even most of the people who claim that Protein is bad for the kidneys wouldn't consider 100 grams too much, depending on the person's weight.

I in fact did my little research before posting... Take a look...

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/09/03/too-much-protein.aspx

I in fact did my little research before posting... Take a look...

Protein.aspx" rel="external nofollow">http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/09/03/too-much-protein.aspx

That article is an opinion piece, not a study, and is written by one doctor, hosted on his website full of pop-up ads trying to sell me his books and supplements. Sorry if I have a hard time taking it as gospel. Even he says 40-70 grams a day and more for people who are aggressively exercising or pregnant women. He doesn't specifically mention bariatric patients, but it is a commonly accepted that WLS patients also fall under a category that has a higher Protein requirement. He says these groups need 25% more protein than normal, so that would mean 50-88 grams. And this is coming from a guy who is clearly anti-protein!

I in fact did my little research before posting... Take a look...Protein.aspx" rel="external nofollow">http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/09/03/too-much-protein.aspx

That article is an opinion piece, not a study, and is written by one doctor, hosted on his website full of pop-up ads trying to sell me his books and supplements. Sorry if I have a hard time taking it as gospel. Even he says 40-70 grams a day and more for people who are aggressively exercising or pregnant women. He doesn't specifically mention bariatric patients, but it is a commonly accepted that WLS patients also fall under a category that has a higher Protein requirement. He says these groups need 25% more protein than normal, so that would mean 50-88 grams. And this is coming from a guy who is clearly anti-protein!

Okay Jamie, you can believe anything you like. I am only taking the approach that makes sense and that is a balanced diet. It works for me and I am happy with that. I saw an article a while back stating a woman who over did her protein intake had kidney problems but who knows if she was a diabetic? I wished I remembered where I saw it but it does not matter anyway, you have your own opinion with your scientific article. I will stick with my own realistic opinion. Carry on.....

A couple of points:

1. FYI, right now I'm eating on average 100 grams of Protein daily. I'm also eating about 100 grams of healthy carbs (colored veggies, fruits, whole grains -- not lots of starches or sugars) daily. So at my daily 1,200 calorie budget, that means I'm eating about 400 calories each of Protein, carbohydrates and fat. That's "a balanced diet," right?

2. The only trouble with "common sense" is that it may be common, but it may not make sense. After all, we only need to eat less and exercise more to lose weight and maintain our weight, right? That's only common sense, right? Uh, yes. But apparently it doesn't work that neatly.

Research / science helps us learn which of our instincts / common sense are correct.