Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fear of STRETCHING Sleeve!

Jfc all, you all wrong, some doctor good, some bad, he'll- they don't even know what causes cholesterol, are we really giving them the credit they deserve?

Huh?

Hi everyone, I am new to the post-op board. I spent a lot of time on the pre-op even after my surgery. I was sleeved Jan. 21st, and am excited that I am on my 3 month sleeve-versary! I am getting about 90-100 grams of Protein per day. A Protein shake in the morning sometimes with Peanut Butter, and Isopure Protein Water (40grams) in the afternoon. I barely get food in, because I'm focused on my protein, I might have a small salad, or 1/4 of a half of sandwich at lunch time, but by 3:30pm I start sipping on the Isopure and it normally takes me until about 8:00pm or 9:00pm to get it all day. I have yet mastered the art of sipping slowly because I'm always thirsty, but I take large sips...not gulps. And chewing...am I the only one that hasn't mastered the art of chewing slow and taking 45 minutes to eat? Am I the only one that doesn't take 30-45 minutes eating?

I often have nightmares that my stomach is stretching. I am steadily loosing, and have lost about 32lbs since surgery.

I've been told by post op patients, and others that your stomach will stretch eventually, but my fear is will is stretch this soon.

Does anyone else have the same concern? How would you know if it is stretching? Would it stretch this soon? Would I feel it? These are the questions that haunt me!

I worry about this too. I reached week 4 this passed Monday. I have noticed that I can actually drink and not just sip. I was scared that I too had stretched my sleeve. But apparently not. I ate 3 small turkey meatballs, cutting them down into tinier (barely) chews that night and felt my usual sharp stomach pain I used to feel when I had drank too quickly. So that pain was a clear indicator that my sleeve is fully intact. But i am mindful of how I should drink opposed to how I can drink. Another example, after i left the rec center the other night I was so thirsty. I had left my water bottle in the car. When I got to it, the thirst made me want to chug the Water down. Two consistent drinks made me realize that i can't do that. The sharp pains in my stomach hit me again!

I had my sleeve one week ago today, April16, 2015. And I am already worried about stretching my sleeve! I have no problem drinking 16 oz in 30 minutes. I couldn't even do one oz an hour the first three days. What happened?! I've only had fluids. Is that why I have no problem? But if so, why was it so hard the first few days?

I had my sleeve one week ago today, April16, 2015. And I am already worried about stretching my sleeve! I have no problem drinking 16 oz in 30 minutes. I couldn't even do one oz an hour the first three days. What happened?! I've only had fluids. Is that why I have no problem? But if so, why was it so hard the first few days?

Swelling. As the swelling goes down,the sleeve holds more. Simple as that :)

What they told us in our Support Group is that two things can cause stretching: Carbonated drinks and Alcohol. We are not talking once in a blue moon but on a continuous basis. Otherwise not much else will stretch your stomach.

I found i can eat a bit more that when I started after surgery but that is due to the stomach healing. I am now four months post-op so I am sure it has healed as much as it is going to.

Alcohol stretches your stomach?

I don't really think that's true. Never ever heard that before.

How?

Has anyone actually watched the video Babbs put up here?

What they told us in our Support Group is that two things can cause stretching: Carbonated drinks and Alcohol.

How would one liquid be more likely to stretch your sleeve than any other, say.... Water?

That's preposterous.

I heard the same thing in support but I never bought that jive. Alcohol and soda and crap will put weight on a person but actually stretching a sleeve is, from what I've read, nonsense.

It's the swelling going down; rarely it's due to some sort of dilation.

Anyway ultimately it's what goes into our mouths.

Edited by tomi71

What they told us in our Support Group is that two things can cause stretching: Carbonated drinks and Alcohol.

How would one liquid be more likely to stretch your sleeve than any other, say.... Water?

That's preposterous.

I heard the same thing in support but I never bought that jive. Alcohol and soda and crap will put weight on a person but actually stretching a sleeve is, from what I've read, nonsense.

It's the swelling going down; rarely it's due to some sort of dilation.

Anyway ultimately it's what goes into our mouths.

Corrrrrrrrrect!

I seriously think some doctors/NUTs/NPs use scare tactics and some people fall for them.

I am with you. It bugged me when I heard some of the folks in group support make unsupported claims to $h-t like that because I felt like my intelligence was being insulted and time was being wasted. If it's true then give me some evidence of how/why so I know which pitfalls may be looming in the future!

My doc and NUT thankfully stick to evidence-based stories where people gained by eating poorly or due to inactivity or illness....thinking the sleeve will automatically fix things.

If, like me, you are genetically predisposed to gain and you couple that with a bad environment then chances are weight management is going to be a problem. Hell, a skinny person can gain a ton of weight and become obese given the right circumstances. I've seen that in my own family.

One thing I learned is to not obsess. Best tool I ever got out of this surgery...to not obsess. ????????????

I was so happy to see the question because stretching is so scary to me. I have my surgery on May 6th. I've lost 10 lbs. in preparation as directed by my doctor. I was only eating Protein and a low carb veggies. Now I am only having 4 drinks a day. It is very hard for me, but I've been perfect!

I love carbonation. I don't need a soda; am happy with carbonated Water. I am really struggling with not being able to have it. So, hearing that some of you do consume carbonated drinks is so cool!

I am very nervous about this operation changing everything I know about food. I love to eat and am determined to love me more.

Thanks for your information!!!!! I LOVE THIS WEBSITE. Lindemat

I love carbonation. I don't need a soda; am happy with carbonated Water. I am really struggling with not being able to have it. So, hearing that some of you do consume carbonated drinks is so cool!

If you do decide to have carbonation post-op, I do think it's best to wait until you are at least a month or two out and your sleeve has had a chance to heal. You will see that gas is a real problem in the early days even without carbonation, so I wouldn't introduce any more gas than is necessary until you are all healed up.

I do carbination too but it's a sip here and there. It helps my stomach settle...Dt. Pepsi, that is....but I definitely don't make it a habit.

Water, water, and more water! ????????☔️