Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fear of STRETCHING Sleeve!

Interesting that you posted this, as I just posted a similar thread on the 'other board'.

My VSG was on 17-Apr, and I am basically 4 days post-op as I write this.

I had no severe pain post-op and was able to start to consume liquid at a pretty brisk pace immediately.

In fact, I can consume 8oz of Premiere Protein drink in only a 3-5 minutes.

Also, I can drink (not sip) Water throughout the day with no discomfort. Not big gulps mind you, but normal swallows. Before surgery, I could drink 8oz Water in only 2-3 swallows, as a reference.

So, my experience, plus those replied by others ... suggests the post-op situation is not 'one size fits all'. Perhaps some of us that had 'cast Iron stomachs' pre-op can adjust quicker than others. I also think that females may be a bit more fragile in their recovery and immediate post-op capabilities.

Thanks very much for your post, as I was thinking "is this just me"!!!

RC

If it can't stretch why do people have to get re sleeved? I'm just curious because I've read both that it can stretch but many say it can't???

Because it stretches :)

A correctly done sleeve should not give much. It will "stretch" slightly with continuous abuse. At least according to the research I've done and the surgeons I've consulted.

We will have to agree to disagree. :D

I will agree many factors can play into stretching, obviously no 2 people (or their stomachs) are alike.

Here is a good video explaining sleeve stretching. He does say it depends on sleeve size and bougie etc....but he also says it may stretch a little but will never stretch too much and never to the original stomach size. Actually pretty informative!

https://youtu.be/Nv8X6H_jLgY

Stretching you shouldn't worry about, you should worry about polishing a large size snack bag of Cheetos off in one sitting without filling a thing. So easy to still eat crap on the sleeve, not so much stretching it

Stretching you shouldn't worry about, you should worry about polishing a large size snack bag of Cheetos off in one sitting without filling a thing. So easy to still eat crap on the sleeve, not so much stretching it

So much this.

Band07 i think you should sure your surgeon, in a decent gastric sleeve the fundus ( i.e.) the stretchable part of the stomach is removed, now you will stretch a little because of the loosening of the sutures and tissue placement but it cant get anywhere near normal, your pics actually dont mean anything because there is no size guide on the pics. i can tell the second pic is much more close up and zoomed in, i had my sister who is a nurse practitioner and has her doctorate in nursing and is a ex rad tech verify that fact so to know how close up the second pic is vs the first, they are obviously not the same angle or distance by far. Heres some doctors who are widely respected in the field has to say on the subject.

The ideal gastric sleeve should be fairly tight at the beginning (usually a 34 fr bougie), should begin about 1 inch from the pylorus (the end of stomach), and go directly to the angle of his right next to the esophagus.
Experience shows that the sleeve will not stretch more than about 5% if kept tight from the beginning. .

Source: HealthTap, https://www.healthtap.com/user_questions/43678

Pouch stretch is a common concern of patients after bariatric surgery. They may worry that their pouches will stretch and they will be able to eat large portions of food again. The good news is that your smaller stomach after gastric bypass or sleeve gastrectomy, will generally not stretch up to the size of a normal stomach. Whenever we perform a CT scan, contrast swallowing x-ray test, or endoscopy of the stomach pouch, we typically find that the pouch is the same size years after bariatric sugery.

How then can people eat slightly larger portions years after weight loss surgery? Part of the answer lies in the "compliance" of the pouch. Compliance describes how easy it is to distend something. Imagine a balloon fresh out of its package. When you first try to blow it up, it will be difficult. But after blowing it up and deflating it 100 times, it will be easier to blow it up the next time. You will not have to blow as hard. The balloon has not really "stretched" per se. When you deflate it, it is still the same exact size as it was when you first took it out of the package. The volume of the balloon is no larger.

The same is true of your stomach pouch. Even though it will still be small years later, it will be easier to fit more food in it if you try. I always tell my patients that just because you can eat something, it doesn't mean you should. Even with increased compliance, I have found that 5-7 years after bariatric surgery people still can't eat as they could prior to surgery. Portion sizes remain limited so you pouches are always there for you, ready to help keep your weight under control.

Carl Lowe, Jr. MD

taken from Carolina Surgical Center

you can search threads here for more answers and links to doctors who will show you the real truth.

sorry i have to stop posting on this thread, its going to get real bad real fast. I cannot deal with people who look at all the medical facts and say they, who arent docotrs at all, know the truth no one else knows.

Band07- so youre saying that it must stretch because you failed? ahh i understand now.

@@Stevehud

Good stuff. Thanks for sharing!

Hi everyone, I am new to the post-op board. I spent a lot of time on the pre-op even after my surgery. I was sleeved Jan. 21st, and am excited that I am on my 3 month sleeve-versary! I am getting about 90-100 grams of Protein per day. A Protein shake in the morning sometimes with Peanut Butter, and Isopure Protein Water (40grams) in the afternoon. I barely get food in, because I'm focused on my protein, I might have a small salad, or 1/4 of a half of sandwich at lunch time, but by 3:30pm I start sipping on the Isopure and it normally takes me until about 8:00pm or 9:00pm to get it all day. I have yet mastered the art of sipping slowly because I'm always thirsty, but I take large sips...not gulps. And chewing...am I the only one that hasn't mastered the art of chewing slow and taking 45 minutes to eat? Am I the only one that doesn't take 30-45 minutes eating?

I often have nightmares that my stomach is stretching. I am steadily loosing, and have lost about 32lbs since surgery.

I've been told by post op patients, and others that your stomach will stretch eventually, but my fear is will is stretch this soon.

Does anyone else have the same concern? How would you know if it is stretching? Would it stretch this soon? Would I feel it? These are the questions that haunt me!

Just be wary that the 90-100 grams of protein can be detrimental to your kidneys. If your nutritionist says so then so be it. I could never get that much...60- 75 grams is what I aim for. No your stomach is not going to stretch unless something so drastic.

Thank you everyone for your comments. I do value everyone's opinions.

@@bellabill

The 80-100 grams of Protein won't last forever. My doctor said eventually he would decrease the grams. I'm going for my 12 week appointment this week so maybe that will decrease very soon!

@@Babbs

Thank you for the video. This was helpful.

sorry i have to stop posting on this thread, its going to get real bad real fast. I cannot deal with people who look at all the medical facts and say they, who arent docotrs at all, know the truth no one else knows.

Band07- so youre saying that it must stretch because you failed? ahh i understand now.

@@Stevehud

This thread has gone on for 8 pages without "getting real bad real fast". If you read the entire thing, you will see that some people are able to discuss/debate/disagree without throwing out personal insults. You are actually the first to do so. :(