Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi,

So my time frame on this WLS journey was short, my 1st consult was 3/4, my surgery is on 4/28. Just after my first consult I'd interviewed for a position (same company I work for now, just a different dept). I hadn't heard anything back, and when I followed up they said they were still weighing their options. I assumed I didn't get it.

Well now I've been offered the position. I need the extra $$, and the idea of starting off in a 'new' place post WLS seems exciting and a great way to kick off the 'new me' thing.

I'm also on day 3 of the pre-op diet-- based on how I'm feeling now (low-energy/ somewhat weak), and knowing having a major surgery will further deplete me-- I worry about starting a position with so many questions over how I'll feel, heal etc. I need to have my 'A' game in a new role.

I'm taking two weeks off post surgery, and had told my current boss if I didn't feel ready, I would take more time. But if I accept the new position, I'll feel obligated to come back soon, no matter what.

So many good things happening for me right now-- but they just conflict with one another!!

Any thoughts/insight?

Take care of yourself and if you need to take more time I would recommend doing so even if it is a new job. Rather take the time you need to be healthy than to start a new job when you can't perform at your best. First impressions are critical. If they frown on you doing what is best for you that would be a major red flag for me. Just my take.

@@dhrguru

congrats on getting your new job

coinciding new job/along with new weight loss

kindof sounds cool but rotten timing :angry:

your new job starts Monday??

2 weeks later is surgery??

its good that you've already told new boss about pending surgery

did you tell her you are having WLS?

how did she react ?? :huh:

pre-op you "should" be able to work

i would try not to take any time any off before WLS

save that time for PO

taking a couple of weeks off is frequently enough PO :)

don't automatically think you will need more time off

i have read many times that people go in and out friday back to work monday

i think that is a little extreme,

it does happen

hopefully you "only" have the minor common side effects of surgery

gas, tiredness etc

if you still aren't feeling the best

but you know you could/should start work

ask your boss now, "just in case"

if you could work 1/2 days for a week or so after your 2 weeks is up

if the reaction is not the best....

move your surgery date back a couple of months :(

I wouldn't love that

but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do :wacko:

but jeopardizing your new job???

you wouldn't want to do that either :(

hard choices :mellow:

weigh your options carefully

you'll come to the right decision for you

good luck with surgery (work too) :)

speedy recovery

kathy

Take care of yourself and if you need to take more time I would recommend doing so even if it is a new job. Rather take the time you need to be healthy than to start a new job when you can't perform at your best. First impressions are critical. If they frown on you doing what is best for you that would be a major red flag for me. Just my take.

very good point. I doubt they'd frown on it... I'd just be to uncomfortable to ask. (But if my doc thought it was necessary, I'd get over it fast)

@@dhrguru

congrats on getting your new job

coinciding new job/along with new weight loss

kindof sounds cool but rotten timing :angry:

your new job starts Monday??

2 weeks later is surgery??

its good that you've already told new boss about pending surgery

did you tell her you are having WLS?

how did she react ?? :huh:

pre-op you "should" be able to work

i would try not to take any time any off before WLS

save that time for PO

taking a couple of weeks off is frequently enough PO :)

don't automatically think you will need more time off

i have read many times that people go in and out friday back to work monday

i think that is a little extreme,

it does happen

hopefully you "only" have the minor common side effects of surgery

gas, tiredness etc

if you still aren't feeling the best

but you know you could/should start work

ask your boss now, "just in case"

if you could work 1/2 days for a week or so after your 2 weeks is up

if the reaction is not the best....

move your surgery date back a couple of months :(

I wouldn't love that

but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do :wacko:

but jeopardizing your new job???

you wouldn't want to do that either :(

hard choices :mellow:

weigh your options carefully

you'll come to the right decision for you

good luck with surgery (work too) :)

speedy recovery

kathy

My new job wouldn't start till after surgery on the 28th. Ideally 5/11. My current boss knows it's wls, she is very supportive and excited for me.

I'm not moving the surgery... I refuse to go backwards on the pre op diet lol. I like the idea if part time for a bit if needed.

Thanks for the insight!

Congratulations! First of all. I had the bypass and I was back to work in 2 weeks. I would say if possible stay as long as you can in the hospital and let them manage your post-op pain and see that you can tolerate your new diet. I stayed in the hospital 3 nights and 4.5 days. I napped a lot when I got home. I did not do a lot of chores. But I was absolutely fine going back to work then." A" game and all. For about a month, I would get home, see about my kids and then I was in bed at about 8:00pm. Just imagine how on your A game you will be when that weight starts dropping!! Your new employer will see your confidence at its highest! Good luck to you!

I just want to say congratulations -- all good things are coming your way. It's the same company but a different department, right? If something comes up and you need more time then you will do that. Try not to worry too much. Pre-op can bring up so many thoughts. Pat yourself on the back for choosing yourself and your healthy future -- and for this advance in your career. You go!

I felt pretty good at 2 weeks. By that time your body is more adjusted to the lack of calories. Assuming you have been with your company for more than a year, file for FLMA. That will prevent them from replacing you while you are off.