Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello Ladies,

I had my surgery on the 22nd Of March 2015 and I know I'm going to be one of the few people whom loose a great amount of hair hence I can't get my protien in and I also have fine hair at present. I was wondering have any of you got hair extensions to make it look has though you have hair?

Have a great day

Prada.

Almost all of my female friends who have had bariatric surgery have experienced hair loss including myself to varying degrees. My hair was very fine and thinning to begin with because of my thyroid. I asked my hairdresser about extensions and she told me until the Hair loss stopped the extensions they would install would come out. Clip ins might work but my hair is so fine the clip won't grab on. Having dark hair makes it more noticeable but coloring it is not an option for me. I have glazed it though. I do also have a wig which I love because it gives me a different look. I am only 38 by the way. I am a year out and I now have a normal BMI. Weight loss has slowed and so has the hair loss. A lot...for now I use wide decorative headband to cover the most bare spots and I love to use the hair Fiber product called Toppik. It's a powder and you can purchase an adapter so you don't have to worry about the mess of sprinkling it in your head you just point and squeeze. It works so good for me.

I knew this might happen ahead of time but my mind was made up and I don't regret it one bit. Just had to become resourceful and creative. Sorry for the long post????

Hi Prada..:)

I hope all is going well with you. As far as hairloss goes, you can take Biotin 5-10.000mcg a day. You can use Nioxxin hair system. It does help growing hair back and keeping it healthy. You can purchase it from a salon. The stylist should be able to tell you which system will work best for you. If you're having very noticeable hairloss...you can't wear extensions because they won't really have anything sturdy to hold on to. You can get hats, scarfs....or maybe get a wig. There are some very cute ones out there. It would be nice to try a new style until the hair grows back...:)

Hope that helps a little.

I take Biotin and my hair is now falling at an alarming rate. I am nearly 6 months past surgery. I was doing well for quite a while but it's rally upsetting right now because I can see the bare spots on my temples.

Beni,

Biotin does not prevent hairloss. It just strengthens hair and nails. Your hair and nails are made up of Keratin Protein. Nioxxin is a haircare system made for people that have problems with Alopecia...( hairloss). If the loss is due to health reasons...ei: nutrition issues, Cancer treatments, etc....then this system will help restore lost hair. It's not cheap...but it does work. Hairloss in our case is due to something lacking in the nutrition package...ei: not enough Protein. Until the hair does come back...you can cover it with scarves, hats or even a wig. Hang in there...it's not going to be like that forever. It will eventually grow back and balance out. Just keep your health up..:)