Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Friends. I went to dinner with my sister last night and made the decision to indulge a bit. We shared a bottle of wine at dinner and I had a mini cannoli washed down with an espresso and a shot of anisette as well. I knew I'd gain weight from this meal but because I knew it, I didn't worry about it..or feel guilty about it.

I do this every once in a while. And as long as I'm compliant today...and I will be, the weight I gained from last night, will come off and life will go on. The wrong thing to do is feel guilty about indulging and then throwing the baby out with the bath Water. No need for one evening to knock us off course. Just get back on that horse and keep moving forward.

I really enjoyed dinner last night...I didn't eat more than I should have...I just drank more than I normally would. And since this was restaurant food, it was likely heavier on the sodium and calories...especially since it was delish. But I like to eat out and I plan for it and after that, I just do the best I can to make as good decisions as I can. We had Italian and I didn't order Pasta...no point as I can't eat a whole portion of it...nor would I want to. We shared a salad, veal parm and lasagna. And when I say shared, I mean I took a band sized portion...not half the meal.

As Alex said...think and act like a thin person. I'm working on it.

Good for you! I'm not in maintenance yet, but, about a month ago I reached my minimum goals in terms of my size. I want to lose more -- and have been -- but I too want to avoid diet mentality and arrive at the ultimate goal already living the way I need to in order to maintain. Furthermore, I lost two very dear people very suddenly about a year ago and was painfully reminded that you have to enjoy some of life as you go because if you put it all off you may never get there. So, I have had a couple of indulgences myself.

Did I eat/drink off plan? Yep. However, NOTHING like I would have before surgery. So, really, even the indulgence was still "diet" when compared to my past normal! I also continue to learn about myself and relationship to eating with these experiences.

Bottom line: I believe mental attitude is the most important part of this process.

Thanks for sharing your experience and keep up the good work!!

I am guessing we all do it once in a while. For me, we are moving states on wednesday. One of the things my husband and I love to do about every 2 or 3 months is go to our favorite movie theater which is a high end movie theater where they have a restaurant and restaurant quality Snacks that you can take into the theater with you.

I was excellent all day long knowing I would indulge in their homemade onion dip and homemade chips. I never eat this kind of junk food and have not had that treat since prior to surgery last September. I made sure I had a good Protein rich dinner before hand so that I would not be able to eat much.

Given we will never go to a movie in theater and have this naughty snack again (it is outstanding), I decided I could indulge a little. It was so delicious but I am proud of myself, I only had a very small portion of chips but of course with lots of this homemade dip on it. I was not disappointed.

This morning I got up and walked 3.5 miles with one of my fitbit tracker buddies and I feel much better about indulging for this time.

Liz you are doing great. I occasionally eat or drink something I don't consider good for me. but, I lik to reward myself once in awhile with something I really enjoy. No Guilt. I love my band because I can do that now and then but get right back on track the next day. What I would have done years ago during one of my many diets, would be to get off the wagon, eat the wagon and then keep rolling around eating myself into a coma.. lol now days it's a new ballgame and I have no fear of getting back into that routine. keep up the good work and keep living.

I do it all the time...I'm not on any diet, nor will I ever be again. I have no plan, no rules to be compliant....

Because of the band, I can eat just so much...my portions are fixed, making it unable for me to overeat. (I've tried)

It's interesting that foods that don't go with the band are also foods high in carbs...like Pasta. So Italian restaurants are out.

All I worry about is Protein and Water requirements. And exercising whenever I can.

I don't think in terms of a single meal, I think in terms of what I did over a 24hr period. A new lifestyle.

I can look back at what I ate yesterday....not bad at all and that included a meal at a restaurant....

My wife and I both work long hours, so we eat out all the time. Not a problem other than finding foods on the menu that will work with my band....no meat, no Pasta, no rice, no things made from flour like breads, majority of Desserts....it can be tough at places like Outback....and I don't trust moist chicken eating out.,.,it is usually over cooked and hard.

I was fat because I ate too much...I am now skinny because of surgery, I eat less...a lot less....it's that simple!

No rocket science involved.

It's wonderful being moderate and a dainty eater. Why not have yummy treats? I love to cook and I enjoy food, just in small amounts now. And I indulge in alcohol -- I even had a tiny piece of a chocolate flourless cake last night after an Indian meal. I spent days cooking that food and hardly ate any of it, but I had a good time. And I love not being on a diet! This morning a four mile walk. The exercise is where it's at for me.