Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

200 lbs or more to lose?

I am so thankful for this site and everyone sharing their experiences and wisdom - I feel much more prepared for my surgery next week. I just decided to not "hide" my weight from my profile anymore despite my fear of being stigmaized (I already had one person comment on my BMI on this site) because I am ready for this surgery, this change and I do not have the energy to worry about judgement from others anymore. Plus, I was inspired by a few of you who are honest about your weight in your profile.

I am seeking others who have 200 lbs or more to lose and are willing to share how your journey has been and anything you've learned. I am happy for anyone who is ready to make this huge life shift, but I've only seen a handful of posts from people, like myself, who have so far to go on the scale. I am taking it day by day and trying to heal the things that led to my overeating and obesity while learning these new skills to take care of myself and eat healthfully.

What is working for you?

Welcome to the site, and I hope you find the support you are looking for, I think you will! I am not what you were looking for, but I just want to say that no one here should judge you, and shame on them if they do...it's NOT what this site is about. You are here as legitimately as anyone else, and deserve ALL the support you need and/or want. You just ask all the questions you want, someone is bound to answer! You are NOT alone in this, we're here for you! All the best to you on your new journey!

Welcome aboard! I wish I only had 200 lbs to lose... LoL! I had my surgery done one month ago today and have lost 45 lbs as of my last weigh in Monday!

Thankfully I haven't pushed it and have not had any complications or even thrown up once!! I've even been out to costco and Walmart shopping and getting the stuff I needed, which may not sound like much but considering I hadn't shopped for myself in almost three years I consider that an accomplishment!!

Just take it slow and if you have any questions or need encouragement just ask!!

Bravo to both of you who need to lose so much, to be brave and come here and just lay it out on the table. I have noticed that when I came on here to I was a lil bit more on the heavier side and felt self conscious about it but what the heck that is what this site is for. I shouldn't feel ashamed that I need the support or help of others to get my life back since my way wasn't working for me. I hope you guys really enjoy your journey and new life that lays ahead of you. I don't regret it one day and I'm so grateful to the people on this site who have helped me through the tough and emotional days when I had no one else to turn to!

I have lost quite a bit of weight and if I wanted to get to the proper BMI I *still* have 200lbs to lose. I am doing quite well, taking it one day at a time and feeling better with each pound gone. I've never hidden any of my stats.

One thing I suggest you look at now is your relationship with food. Things like emotional eating, boredom eating and family/peer pressure can sabotage all your good work.

The board can be a great source of encouragement. Welcome!

I think you are at the right place for support. I have come here preparing myself for my life post surgery and I feel an enormous kinship with a lot of my fellow sleevers (pre & post).

That being said... "what is working for you" (that you asked) is my sleeve family - here - and YOU being honest about your weight and why you are here.

I don't feel alone.

Welcome! I am saddened to hear that you were feeling judged by some Forum members--the place where you should feel safest. Know that you are not alone!

I am a slow but steady loser. My pieces of advice:

1. Find Protein you like and get your recommended grams of Protein in every day. You will lose faster, protect against hair loss and will feel great! I drink Isopure Zero Carb (I like the orange, grape and fruit punch flavors).

2. Celebrate every 10 pounds. Looking at the "BIG" number of what I wanted to lose was overwhelming but the 10 lb milestones were attainable. My celebrations were a new purse, a massage, a new pair of pants, etc. Not food.

3. Surround yourself with supportive people and accept compliments graciously. You will see some changes before others and others will see some changes before you do. Focus on the fact that you are losing enough for people to notice and you are getting healthy.

4. Find exercise that you enjoy or can at least tolerate.

Last but not least, I am a work in progress on the emotional eating issue that got me to 389 pounds. Now I ask myself, "Am I really hungry or am I thirsty?" "Am I really hungry or did something just happen that upset me?" Stopping to query myself helps focus me and then I make an informed choice instead of just eating.

Best of luck on this journey--it is quite a ride and I am only half-way there!

Welcome! Congratulations on your new journey! I know how hard life has been being at such a high weight myself. My highest was 339! I was sleeved on 3/10/15 and have lost 36 pounds so far. Pre op I weighed 296. I still want to lose 180 more to hit the BMI and weight for my height. It's not the 200 you were looking for, but it's sure close in my eyes lol! I didn't post my weight at first either when I first started visiting this site, but as days went by, and reading all the other posts, my confidence got a little higher and higher. So finally I said what the heck! It's a weigh loss forum and why are we all here? So now, I'm up front with everything.

Right now I'm experiencing the dreaded 3 week stall.. Been on it for a week now :-/ . Trying to stay motivated, I know it won't last, but dang it! It can get discouraging.

So far my little tips that work for me: Never go past 3hrs without eating! I find if I do, I'm desperate for something and eat WAY too fast, and that hurts!

Water water water.. Or G2 Gatorade.. Fluid fluid fluid. I find if I don't get enough fluids, NO ENERGY!

And I try to get all my Protein in the first couple times I eat for the day. I'll do a Premier Protein shake for bfast (30g protein), and then if I'm on the run I have a premier Protein Bar for snack(20g protein). Then when I do eat the rest of the day, I already know I got my protein in for the day.

The gym is a must for me. I go 5-6 days a week. This is new to me. I started a month before my surgery. I find that on days I don't go, I beat myself up. Plus I feel much better after wards, plus I LOVE THE EXTRA ENERGY!

I hope these encourage you. I know it's easier said than done. But I promise I am one to tell you, if I can do it, so can any one! Good luck to you!

I too do not have 200 lbs to lose but I would like to welcome to this site and wish you the best of luck in your journey.

I love having my weight on my ticker, it is so much fun to get on that scale see a loss and get on here and log it in. I do that for me if for nothing else. Watching your weight and BMI go down is an incredible feeling.

My advice for you is to make sure to document in pictures and in measurements along your way. Your weight loss will be fun to watch but for those times when it slows down it is nice to have other ways to measure your successes. I take my pictures in clothes and in a bra and undies every month, I also take my measurements monthly too. I am so gald I have those pics to look back on it really helps to keep me motivated. I see posts on here where people wish they had done that.

Good luck with your surgery and take it one day at a time. Like others have said don't look at the whole picture, concentrate on 5 or 10lbs at a time and go from there. Celebrate ALL your accomplishments even if it is just with a pat on your own back!! You can do this! Use this stie and knowledge here and you will be good!!

:D :) :D :)

Thank you for all the wonderful posts and feedback - you are my inspiration!! I really appreciate that several of you noted emotional eating and the importance of addressing it. I am currently going through a workbook on emotional eating and while difficult, is helping me deal with some of the root causes of my past overeating (yay, I can say past after almost 3 weeks on this liquid diet!).

Thanks again everyone. I am tired of being ashamed of my weight and ready to be proud of my changes and you all are helping me do that.

I started off having more than 200 lbs to lose, my starting weight was 383 lbs with my goal being 165lbs. i may have it hidden in my profile, I'm not sure as i cant see those stats on my iPad only via the website itself. I am now 275.. Woo hoo- and best of all, i'm still losing! Not everyone's journey is the same. I've never not disclosed that information if i was typing out a response to someone and the conversation required me to do so. Ie I'm not ashamed of where i began, as we are all here to lose this weight and to help one another through this journey.

Wishing you all the very best with your weight loss journey :) . there are quite a few of us in the same boat with lots to lose, don't be disheartened, just reach out, we are here to help where we can xox

You are going to be amazed at how fast the weight comes off. I can't stress enough how important it is to listen to your doctor completely. Your mind set needs to be where you can use this tool properly. This is a lifetime change and you need to be committed 200 %. There will be times when you will give in to cravings just remember to get back on track as soon as possible and not give in to old habits.

post-183272-14287575512142_thumb.jpg

I had more than 200 lbs to lose. I am 18 months out and have lost 195 pounds. I still have 35 to 40 pounds to go. The weight loss doesn't come nearly as easy as it used to. The 1st 165 pounds just fell off. I have had to work hard for every pounds after that. If I can do it anyone can do it. U got this!!!

post-183272-14287577717605_thumb.jpg

You are my Sheroe! Hopefully I am as successful as you.

@@butterfly23 Good luck on this journey. For me, posting my stats was important. It helped me to keep things real. Yes, I really do weigh this much, and yes, my goal is also posted too. Every time I edit the ticker down a pound or 2 I have such a great feeling of accomplishment.

Don't worry about how much you have to lose. None of us are here because of a low BMI!