Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OK SO I HAD THAT ROUGH patch A FEW WEEKS AGO WITH NAUSEA, COULDN'T EAT OR DRINK, INSOMNIA, ANXIETY AND DEPRESSION. WELL ALL IS GONE EXCEPT FOR A TAD BIT OF THE ANXIETY. I WENT TO THE DR TODAY TO GET MORE OF THE ANXIETY MED WHICH I TAKE AT NIGHT TO HELP ME TO sleep AND TO NOT HAVE SUCH BAD ANXIETY IN THE MORNING. I TOLD HIM I SHOULDN'T NEED ANY MORE AFTER THAT BOTTLE BECAUSE I'M WEANING MYSELF OFF. HE TOLD ME THAT ANXIETY MEDS ARE HARD TO GET OFF OF NOW I'M SCARED TO DEATH! I DON'T WANT TO BE DEPENDENT ON A PRESCRIPTION. HAS ANYONE BEEN ON ANXIETY MEDS TEMPORARILY AND GOTTEN OFF THEM SUCCESSFULLY? I'M DETERMINED TO DO THIS. I WANT TO BE NORMAL AGAIN.

He may be right about that, but do you WANT him to be right about it? I am a firm believer in taking control of myself, especially emotions. I HAVE TO, I am married to a cop. Things for me can get really out of control in a hurry. So, first thing for me to rely on is my faith. Second is me. I can handle this. I CAN. Find a hobby that you can go to and DO when things start to get rough. Make it a FUN one, one you can look forward to, that gives you a peaceful feeling when you do it. I crochet. I love the way the yarn feels, stitching calms me down. It gives me something to focus on that has absolutely NO negativity associated with it. IT CALMS ME. Calm is good. You CAN do this, You can wean yourself. You CAN do this! Talk to us, we're here for you!

Thanks so much. I really think I can, it just makes me nervous to think I'd have to feel that anxiety again. But I'm doing half a pill tonight we'll see how night and morning goes as that is when I experienced it. I'm praying about it too :)

You can always write when it gets bad, someone is bound to answer! I usually check this site in the a.m. and p.m., just let me know! We ARE here for you. Now, go to the craft store!

I've had a script for anxiety meds for years. I take them maybe twice a year. There are many different meds depending on your type of anxiety that can help in conjunction with therapies.

My problem is mostly with one scenario and unfortunately not one I can write or crochet away. But there are other methods. Get a good therapist and work with them on coping activities like @@CanyonBaby said. Ask you doc about other medications. Good luck!

I have times in my life when I do/have taken anxiety meds. I've never had a problem coming off of them. I usually only used them a couple months at a time. The hardest ones were xanax tho. Those things are the DEVIL. Lol for me they're really great while I'm taking them but once I stop omg lock me in my bedroom and throw chocolate under the door. I become the most meanest snotty beotch EVER! I swear it's like I look at myself from outside my body and shake my head. I just wanna slap myself then I cry for 2 days and I'm good. Yeah it's not pretty

Edited by kyrickchick64

What are you taking and how much? Have you been taking them every night for more than a few weeks? If so, you might need to taper down a little - either start breaking the pills in half, or go without for a night or two. The most common anti-anxiety meds (valium, ativan, xanax, klonopin) can be tapered down like this pretty safely, but having more information is always helpful :)

klonopin .5 - I took half last night and I will do half tonight and none tomorrow night, that way Saturday morning if I have anxiety I won't be having to go to work...i'm going to do this. I just don't see why I ended up with anxiety after this surgery. I don't understand. I wake up in the mornings and worry about anything and everything that comes to my mind. It's awful.

I'm a nurse and I personally haven't had to wean off of anxiety mess but know several ppl that have. It's normally done by decreasing the med very slowly. You can even get the mess compounded to half/quarter/eighth/ and sixteenth the strength. Just remember that cutting it out cold turkey is very dangerous!!!

Meds not mess! Ugh

klonopin .5 - I took half last night and I will do half tonight and none tomorrow night, that way Saturday morning if I have anxiety I won't be having to go to work...i'm going to do this. I just don't see why I ended up with anxiety after this surgery. I don't understand. I wake up in the mornings and worry about anything and everything that comes to my mind. It's awful.

I'm no psychology dr but imo you don't have you're old anxiety coping mechanism...food to comfort you when you anxious. Try to find things to calm you or keep you occupied. Especially now, that hopefully most of us have seen the last of the really cold weather.

No I haven't, which would help anxiety?

I take anxiety meds "as needed". It helps a great deal with my eating disorder & keeping the obsessive thoughts at bay. I have klonopin 1 mg and the script is 1-2/day as needed. Some days I take 1, some days I take 1/2 , some days I take 2 & some days I take none. It really just depends on how I'm feeling. If you have any proclivity to addiction, you may want to try something else. For me, it works, but I make a point to not take it regularly bc I don't want to become dependent.