Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-op Diet! successes? struggles?

So my surgery is scheduled for April 6th! (ah! its coming up quick & I'm super excited & nervous :rolleyes: !!) and so Monday I started my 2 week pre-op diet. It consists of 3-4 Protein Shakes a day and one meal with 4 oz Protein, 1/2 cup starch, and a veggie. Ive read a ton online about the different diets people are told to follow, or that some dont have a pre-op diet at all! So I just wanted to hear peoples experience with it I guess. Im on day two & I'm struggling a little bit, but am trying to follow the diet strictly! I need to get used to fitting in a lot more Water in my diet for sure! How has everyone else done on their pre-op diets?!

My pre-op diet was high Protein, low carb in order to "shrink" my liver. My surgeon said he does that to make finding the stomach easier and reduces the risk of "accidentally" nicking the liver during surgery. I only had to do one week, but every surgeon is different. I didn't need to do Protein shakes, just keep my meals/snacks high Protein.

I admit that I didn't do that great on my pre-op diet, but had no surgical complications. I think some surgeons actually want patients to lose weight during the pre-op diet before they will do the surgery. Luckily, my surgeon wasn't that strict since I didn't loose a pound that week.

Katie,

We have the same surgery date and it looks like the same pre-op diet. I did great the first day, yesterday I had a piercing headache all day long. I have a bit of a headache now. I think this is because I was a diet soda addict before. I am realizing how awful my diet used to be and how much better I believe I will feel once I get back to eating healthy and once some of this weight comes off.

I'm right here supporting you. :-)

-Melissa

I was only allowed 4 Protein Shakes , SF Jello, SF popsicles, and broth. It gets easier as time passes. I never cheated. Just stay strong and motivated.

I have the same date and started my pre-op diet Monday as well. Generally, I have to keep the carbs under 100 grams, no sugar, no fruit. It's 3 - 4 Protein shakes a day, and non-starchy vegetables, broth, cream Soups, plain yogurt, sf popsicles. I can have up to 6 ounces of chicken or fish once each week. The NUT said that salad with regular (not fat-free - too many carbs) dressing. I too had the piercing headache on the second day because of caffeine withdrawal. The NUT said that a little caffeine from tea was okay, but definitely none after surgery. So I bought some crystal light iced tea, and I put a little in my Water. Trying to taper down to no caffeine next week. It's not easy, but I've been mixing one scoop of Protein powder with plain Greek yogurt for dinner. It's pretty filling (and about 40g protein) and helps with the cravings. Good luck!

Heidi

I am totally struggling on my pre-op diet. I feel really hungry. I am supposed to be eating under 1500 cals a day. I don't know if it's true hunger or just because I know I can't have certain things but it's been difficult. 4 days and counting til d-day. lol

Mine is under 800 calories a day. Two shakes, then 2-3 cups of raw veggies with 4oz lean Protein. I'm not a huge eater and have been hungry! I've added a bit of cheese, yogurt, salsa, guacamole, bacon bits, hummus to the huge salads while still doing the gym. Surgery is Monday! I think the diet is 90% to get you used to it.

There were healthy (and less healthy) Desserts for our staff meeting at work today. So tempting, but I just munched on my salad and drank my Protein Shake and pictured my healthier self after surgery. :)

My pre-op diet is 2 Protein shakes and 1 meal with 3oz of lean Protein, 1/2 cup of starches, 1/2 cup of vegetables.

My doctor only requires it for 1 week, but I started a week early just in case I had trouble adjusting to it. Had a headache for 4 days straight and was really hungry. Didn't cheat though. Thanking myself now because I'm 9 days in and I feel much better... not craving anything either.

I'm scheduled April 7, started my pre op diet on Monday which consists of 3 or 4 Protein Shakes mixed with almond milk or skim milk, then clear liquids only! SF Jello, SF Popsicles, chicken broth Water and all the crystal light I can stand. I wonder why the variations in all the diets, because right about now I would love 2 ounces of chicken!

That is what I am on :) - I want the one where I can eat chicken and veggies !

Hi everyone! Hope you're all doing great.

My surgery is 2 weeks from today - April 10. I started my Pre-Op diet today. My diet consists of 2 Protein shakes + 1 healthy meal (4-6 oz. of lean meat plus 1 cup of non-starchy, green veggies) with 1 cup of fruit (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, cherries or apple) and either 1 sf popcicle or sf Jello per day for a snack. I can also have coffee, tea, broth and sf drinks like Crystal Lite, etc. and lots of Water.

I felt loopy today, in the afternoon, and realized that it was the same way I felt before, a few years ago, when I made the switch to low-carb eating. It was rough for about 3 days, then I felt a lot better and even got a little extra energy. So, holding out for Day 4. LOL

I'm going to bed early tonight. I remember my nutritionist at True Results telling me to just go to bed early, after my last Protein shake or snack, when I went on the pre-op diet.

Good luck everyone! I'll post back in a couple of days. Hopefully, I'll feel much better.

So I've been following my pre-op diet for 6 days. I have 3 - 4 Protein Shakes a day, non-starchy veggies, low-fat cream Soup, and plain yogurt (I usually mix Protein Powder with plain Greek yogurt for my last Protein shake). I can have sf popsicles and Jello. And 4 - 6 ounces of lean chicken or fish once each week. My calories have been between 1000 - 1200 every day, carbs less than 75g (have to be less than 100g), and protein at least 80g. The NUT said the one to really watch was the carbs, so I have. I was doing okay, but for the last 2 days I am so tired and achy. I know I'm not getting sick, because I have no other symptoms. Anyone else experience something similar? I'm drinking my Water, and planning to email the NUT, but probably won't hear anything until Monday. Thanks!