Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-op Diet! successes? struggles?

Hello everyone,

I stared the light Optifast diet 3 weeks ago voluntarily. 4 shakes and a meal consisting of Protein and nonstarchy veggies. I lost 8 lbs though I admit I was not perfect on that program. I'm now on the "full" optifast program and struggling. Today and yesterday I was off program however I'm committing to behave until my surgery date which is April 6th. My diet is tough.. 4 shakes and 1 protein bar.. No meals .. Only broth and sugar free Jello between. I do hope that 2 weeks is sufficient time to shrink my liver. I wish the best of luck to all. Please let me know if you want to buddy up for support. ????

Hello everyone. This is my first time posting. I was told to follow the Optifast diet. Where I can have 3 shakes and 2 cups of approved veggies a day. The first two days were very hard, I have really bad headaches however they seem to have gone away by day 3 and now finding the diet faily simple to follow. My surgery date is the 8th of April and getting a little nervous now.

I have my operation on April 7th, I started my pre-op diet on Tuesday March 24th. Oh boy, have I struggled! I am allowed 4 pints of milk a day, 2 pints of clear fluids, 1 salty beef drink like Bovril and 1 sugar free jelly a day. The first few days were awful and I suffered from the most horrendous headaches and dizziness. I don't tend to feel hungry but I did nearly fall off the wagon yesterday when my husband tucked into a massive pizza. I am trying my hardest to keep focused and I have not cheated so far. I keep thinking about the end result and how slimmer and healthier I will be. Reading your stories has encouraged me to keep trooping on. good luck everyone. :)

My Surgery is April 7th too! I am on the same diet as iceciley. The dietitian told me I could munch on veggies but keep my daily calories at 800.

Hello everyone,

I stared the light Optifast diet 3 weeks ago voluntarily. 4 shakes and a meal consisting of Protein and nonstarchy veggies. I lost 8 lbs though I admit I was not perfect on that program. I'm now on the "full" Optifast program and struggling. Today and yesterday I was off program however I'm committing to behave until my surgery date which is April 6th. My diet is tough.. 4 shakes and 1 Protein bar.. No meals .. Only broth and sugar free Jello between. I do hope that 2 weeks is sufficient time to shrink my liver. I wish the best of luck to all. Please let me know if you want to buddy up for support. ????

Almost similar to mine.

Our surgery day is the same, good luck!

Surgery is April 9th, started my liquid only (4 Protein shake) a day diet yesterday.. I'm mentally struggling with it, but so far, so good

@@Katie Bartholomew

Hi Katie. My surgery isn't until May 29th, but I have already done my nutrition class. The diet I will have to follow sounds similar to yours, but it's completely liquid. I'm afraid it's going to be super hard.

I had a two week preop diet. 3 Protein shakes/day and unlimited leafy green veggies. I was required to lose 5% of my body weight (12 pounds) but I lost 22 instead.

I had no problem following my diet plan because I was 110% committed to my decision to have WLS. A couple weeks of being hungry is a tiny price to pay. You can't expect the great results most of us see without at least a little effort.

my surgery is 4/29. Pre-op diet is 4 Protein shakes and raw veggies only. I am mostly worried that the sweet Protein drinks will get old real fast but was happy to know I could at least crunch on something.

Good luck to all!

I am almost at the end of my pre op. I have completed almost to a t. I had 1 boiled egg yesterday and feeling very dishartened that I've only lost 5k. 4 in the first week and only 1 in the second week. Surgery is in 3 days! I'm ready, bring it on!!

@ Jessica.lee91

I had my son hide our scale because I was obsessing with losing weight.

We have the same surgery date, what time do you have to be there?

Good luck and I hope you keep us posted.

Looks like you are all pre-op , how exciting! I am wondering , did anyone have to do 90 days eval w a dietician? When you first decided to do? If so, was surgeon requiring you to lose weight prior to surgery? Is this the point of dietician? Or is the point to know HOW to make better choices after surgery? Thank you in advance for answers

Looks like you are all pre-op , how exciting! I am wondering , did anyone have to do 90 days eval w a dietician? When you first decided to do? If so, was surgeon requiring you to lose weight prior to surgery? Is this the point of dietician? Or is the point to know HOW to make better choices after surgery? Thank you in advance for answers

Hello!

I think the reason for the dietician is to teach us the proper amounts & types of food are best. I myself wasn't required to lose any weight I just had to focus on my food choices and amounts.

My insurance required me to have 6 months consecutive meets with my Bari team.

By reading the forums each surgeon and dietician requirements are different.

I hope everything goes well.

@@meSparkle83

I am unsure what time of the day the surgery is, will find out tomorrow for my pre op appointment with the hospital. I havnt had much contact with my surgeon to be honest. So I do have a lot of question that I'm only able to ask the day before as it has been about 3 months since I have met with him. Good luck to you and look forward to hearing from you.