Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery in Mexico-live in Central Fl

I had the sleeve done in Mexico.....the lapband really wasnt an option for me. I live in Louisiana and I found a doctor that would do the fills for $150 a pop. I dont have insurance.......that is why I went to Mexico

Has anyone had surgery in mexico? If so, did you have a problem finding someone to do fills in the states?

I had my surgery in Mexico, I also live in central Florida but I had the sleeve done

I had the sleeve done in Mexico.....the lapband really wasnt an option for me. I live in Louisiana and I found a doctor that would do the fills for $150 a pop. I dont have insurance.......that is why I went to Mexico

If you don't mind me asking, who did you get to do your fills in Louisiana? I too am having my sx in Mexico and looking for an aftercare doctor. TIA!

Take this for what it is, just my personal thoughts and experiences but that being said, I had a lapband for 6 years, Iv had the sleeve for a year and a half and I worked for a bariatric surgeon for almost 7 years. I LOVED my band, I went from 223 to 139 lbs and I maintained around 145 for years ! However, in order to do that I had to keep the band very tight. I couldn't eat anything before noon or after 6 without pain and suffering. When my body had enough I had shoulder pain and chest pain and never just felt full. I was always dehydrated and ended up with kidney stones twice but i was happy to sacrifice because I was a size 6/8 for the first time in my life ! But live long enough that way and it causes problems (severe reflux) and just misery any time you eat or try too. Of the hundreds of patients Iv worked with over the years, very few (maybe 30/40% ) have kept off weight and been successful long term with the band. My surgeon started offering the sleeve and after years of "selling" the band to others (with my personal success as a witness) I asked him to revise me to the sleeve because everyone said how wonderful it was. Well for many it is but for me I hate mine. It's not always the same for someone who has had prior surgery so as I type this today, I have gained almost 20 lbs since the sleeve and it's a fight (that I'm losing) to not gain more. That being said, if I was starting as a virgin patient today; I would choose the sleeve or the mini gastric bypass (which I'm revising too). We didn't know enough about the band in 2007 when I had mine but we now know there are cases of it fusing to the liver or embedding in the stomach wall and the chances are if you go with the band you WILL at some point have a revision. We really don't have all that long term study on the sleeve and while I don't worry and complications, I do think it will be at risk for regain. Do your research, make your own decision but i at least wanted to share my story.

Band7 I did well with the band, had a revision and has gained 22 pounds since having it. I have had a upper GI and only about 50 percent of my stomach removed. My problem is will do it, trying to decide