Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Marijuana and Life after Bariatric Surgery

@@trackerchik - Congratulations on you WLS and quitting smoking! I am 7 weeks smoke free :)

i legally use medical marijuana to help with my insomnia, depression and anxiety. i consume daily. i either ingest or vape.

my doctors didn't have much of a concern. they mentioned the munchies but left it up to me to have self control and not to mess up this opportunity.

unfortunately most types- no matter how you use it will give you the munchies. The only strain i have found that doesn't are the CBD strains which should contain little to know THC-its all the medical benefits without the high. I use this for my daytime strain and then use a hybrid or indica for night and go to bed before the major munchies kick in.

just going to have to distract myself if i get the munchies. sip some flavored Water, crafts, video games etc etc.

open to answering any questions or concerns.

:)

that is good to know!! pre op still but i am getting sleeved on the 25th of july. I do smoke on occasion but edibles are my jam. Was thinking of trying out tinctures and dab oils since there usually are not sugar free options available for edibles. Living in Seattle does have its benefits

I believe you have to be drug tested or at least here where I live you do! Can't have it in your system 6 months before or you will be disqualified!... And I'm sorry but smoking that stuff kills brain cells in the beginning with why would you do it when you have had a surgery? It's like a death sentence! I wish people would take nursing classes and learn about the body and what things kill.... But no one can stop you if your ganna do it, then don't ask what will happen if you don't believe it will happen to you.... Js and if my comment seems rude it's only the truth and the truth hurts!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I am sorry show me one article or scientific research that backs up your claim " weed kills brain cells." It's better than 75% of whatever the FDA approves. Otherwise why is it LEGALIZED?? Before you blather on with your ignorant comments please show me the facts. Otherwise I can tell my aunt who is going through chemo ( who by the way is legally medically prescribed weed) and eats edibles so she will not throw up all the time " Hey I know you are throwing up but WEED WILL KILL YOUR BRAIN CELLS"

P.S I have BCBS of Illinois and they don't drug test crap. Approved in 1 month

This topic is merely being presented as an educational topic with hopes that there has been experiences in the use of Marijuana after bariatric surgery. I smoke marijuana maybe once a week like having a glass of red sangria to relax after a long hard week. Although I'm not a frequent user, I am wondering if I will be able to use it after surgery. Fact for me is that it does induce hunger and I am sure this would not be condusive to being successful after the sleeve, but let's be real, there may be users out there who give it try. Unfortunately, there are not any concrete studies on this either like there is for tobacco and alcohol users.

So feel free to enlighten and share your thoughts.

Thanks!

I haven't had my surgery yet but from what I've been looking into is that there are some edibles you can get that actually suppress hunger. I'll let you know what i find as i do further research on this topic.

Sent from my SM-N920T using the BariatricPal App

Chemo for what? It's basically a death. While it works on one part of the body it kills another! How about you go do some research! It's not healing her it's keeping a distraction but not like that matters... Go read a REAL background on the drug not Wikipedia

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I am sorry show me one article or scientific research that backs up your claim " weed kills brain cells." It's better than 75% of whatever the FDA approves. Otherwise why is it LEGALIZED?? Before you blather on with your ignorant comments please show me the facts. Otherwise I can tell my aunt who is going through chemo ( who by the way is legally medically prescribed weed) and eats edibles so she will not throw up all the time " Hey I know you are throwing up but WEED WILL KILL YOUR BRAIN CELLS"

P.S I have BCBS of Illinois and they don't drug test crap. Approved in 1 month

I would like to see that research about the brain cells...someone please provide a link. BTY weed is not my thing and I am not advocating for anybody to use it but have never heard that research. I also have BCBS and neither they nor my surgeon required testing for that.

I'm not a frequent marijuana smoker, but I think reading this thread is lowering my IQ.

;)

First off Marijuana isn't a drug interactions know illegal but come on people actually use it for weight loss as well depending on the cbd's u smoke do the research before u judge... for example if I smoke India I get munchies, but if I smoke saliva I don't it just depends on what kind of weed u smoke.... not all weed will make u gain weight.... I'm sure all of u guys are still slipping on u bad habits once in a while! Just saying.... have a good day ????

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using the BariatricPal App

I was wondering about this same thing. I have arthritis in my knee as well as an torn ACL, and I occasionally smoke marijuana when the pains come in my knee. I don't experience having the munchies, I usually eat one thing after and I am all set. What are your thoughts on this?

I know everyone reacts differently when the smoke.. and their opinions are different but if u have smoked it ur self u will know how ur body will react look for Marijuana with. .2% and .3% cbd's that's what controls your appetite and it also give u engery instead of making u lazy and wanting to eat everything... I have smoking for a long time and I only smoke sativa for this reason... try it and u will see... good luck!!????

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using the BariatricPal App