Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Marijuana and Life after Bariatric Surgery

I am a medical marijuana smoker. I use it for insomnia and chronic pain. It does work miracles. Since I am in the process of preparing for WLS I am gradually weaning myself off.

Hi Keysharenee1

Thank you for sharing, I find that this subject is controversial but important to know about as it is very real for many.

Can you let us know:

Do you find that marijuana works better than other options of pain medication? How about the side effects? Do you also find an increase in hunger with the use of marijuana?

Hi Keysharenee1

Thank you for sharing, I find that this subject is controversial but important to know about as it is very real for many.

Can you let us know:

Do you find that marijuana works better than other options of pain medication? How about the side effects? Do you also find an increase in hunger with the use of marijuana?

It does work better than other pain meds. I have been prescribed everything from ibuprofen to oxycontin. I get real bad side effects with them. Medical marijuana (usually an Indica strain) helps literally numb my pain and relax my body long enough for me to go to sleep. Hunger can be a side effect based on the strain. It isn't with all of them.

Other side effects (if you're not used to it) excessive giggles...which I had when I first began using it. You may be sleepy (depends on strain) happy, hungry (depends on strain), touchy, relaxed....you do get a high feeling. I suggest not driving

I don't have a problem with smoking... I use to smoke and never got the munchies. But if you know that it affects you that way I would make sure you have health options around and if you are anything like me when you crave something you will go get it hide your keys lol. Basically you know your body far more better than anyone on the forum so if you have that self control more power to you!! take a puff or two for me :)

Actually I have found that it doesn't cause hunger after surgery ???? I smoke marijuana for chronic pain and fibromyalgia. I had my surgery in Feb and that part seems fine. I have to have a bypass over sleeve next week I will try to find this again and update you after my upcoming surgery ????

Marijuana is very effective for pain and nausea. My PCP and my surgeon both know I use it in place of narcotics and are supportive. Not all causes munchies. I don't use it all of the time, only times when you might use a prescription pain killer. Cannabis makes more Fiber, fuel, food and medicine than any other plant on earth. This isn't a medicinal source to be ignored.

It's funny when people say, "It's a drug. Plain and simple." What do you think that little button you are pushing in the hospital to give you a dose of pain relief is? It's a chemical made up in a lab- you are taking drugs every time you push that button or take that prescription.

So, please do your research and be a bit more open minded. Cannabis was here long before we were and far longer than any of todays "medicine."

Sorry trying to delete

Edited by purrfctangel

Marijuana isn't addictive IMHO. Never seen anyone go through detox on it. Same category as alcohol but even less danger. Nobody ever beat their family on pot. Never seen a bunch of stoners in a bar brawl.

However even medically it's used to induce increased appetite. If i hadn't quit (other than the rare once every couple years) I would probably steer clear on that aspect.

So forego that weekly joint, you heathen pothead lolol!

Marijuana isn't addictive IMHO. Never seen anyone go through detox on it. Same category as alcohol but even less danger. Nobody ever beat their family on pot. Never seen a bunch of stoners in a bar brawl.

However even medically it's used to induce increased appetite. If i hasn't quit (other than the rare once every couple years) I would probably steer clear on that aspect.

So forego that weekly joint, you heathen pothead lolol!

Edited by purrfctangel

I don't use marijuana, but I do know that it not physically addicting, but it can be philologically; then again so can soda, Peanut Butter or and thing else that a person might obsess over. There is a lot of ongoing research on how to use marijuana more effectively as mainstream prescribed medication. I wish we'd just get the legalization process over so the we (tax payers) stop wasting money on enforcing the existing laws, and legitimize reliable sources of distribution so that the drug cartel suppliers take a hit in their bank accounts. Not to mention the tax revenue that can be put to work for us all. In my opinion, everyone who wants to smoke/consume pot are already doing so.

Wow.. Hot topic

Seems to be a real individual decision on useage.

There is no doubt it can be used for fuel, Protein (seeds) material, rope and other items so it seems ignorant to not explore the possibilities. I believe it also grows at a very fast rate so sustainability is in play.

As for smoking, people have and will continue to use it. Just be a tad cautious, as the newer strains are NOT what some of us more ... Ahem... Mature adults grew up with

Glad to see there is more research for pain relief, nausea and insomnia . I have witnessed first hand how much relief seriously ill cancer patients can get. Also anecdotally MS, and HIV patients can gain relief I read

Now remove the hunger strain and I could see more widespread use in WLS recovery!!!!

Ps without transfer addiction!!????

And tax it at a high rate for more research and development

Hey guys 6 days out still not getting the munchies lol but it does help with the pain and nausea. Hoping the indigestion hoes away soon I'm so uncomfortable ???? how are the rest of you doing?

Two weeks out, no pain, no nausea, no problems getting liquid in. scale has stalled but it's been one of my easier surgeries.

I agree with the smoking is just like an occasionally glass of wine. I used to do once in a while for pain long ago but I'd say up to you