Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So i had my surgery on March 16th. I had a hiatal hernia repair while they were in there. First day I was npo the whole time except ice chips. 1 medicine cup every hour. I slept alot this day and didn't have much gas. My surgery took about 2 hours. Second day I could have 2 medicine cups of liquid every hour and I was allowed broth and watered down apple juice. I mostly drank the juice and Water. Didn't have an appetite at all. Started to get gas this day. It hurt a bit. 3rd day I really had gas pains and they hurt alot. In my chest and my back up between my shoulder blades, but I'm up and walking around as much as I can and was still allowed just 2 med cups an hour. Still didn't have an appetite. So now it's day 4 and the gas pains are minimal and i still haven't had a bm yet. I feel a little pressure each time I drink. I still don't know my fill point yet so I don't take in much at a time. Still don't have an appetite for any broth or anything like that but I have drank almost 11 ozs of my premir Protein Shake and almost 64ozs of water. Last thing I want is to get dehydrated. I got to walk around outside 2 times today then it started raining. But my room is upstairs so I've had to climb stairs and I walk around the house too. When I went into the hospital I weighed 351. When I left the hospital I weighed 358 from all the Fluid that they gave me. Today I weighed in at 345 whoopeee!!!!! I really don't want to eat any of the broths or anything the thought of it and the smell of it makes me nauseous. I do feel like I could eat other foods but I have to wait 2 weeks until I get to the doc to see what he says. For some reason I just feel like I could eat some green Beans and chicken lol. I guess something that has some texture to it since I have been doing liquid for so long. I'm hungry, just not for the foods that I am allowed to eat. I have meds that I have to take and I've had to crush them up with a little applesauce and I tell u what, that has been horrible!!!! Makes me want to throw up with this one med that I have to take because it's so big and it tastes like death!!! So until then I guess I am stuck with water, juice, and Protein Shakes. How is everyone else doing that has had thier surgeries? Are our situations similar?? Hope you all are doing as well as I am!!

Popcycles really helped me a lot...being able to chew a bit. It's great you are doing so much walking.

Sounds like your right on tract. I agree with Crosby Popsicle are great at this stage. Water and Protein are good to focus on now. Good luck!

Edited by mickally

I also had surgery on the 16th. I was in the hospital for two days and have been home for three. Was allowed 1 ounce of Fluid every 15 minutes in the hospital, now that I'm home I'm sipping Clear Liquids all day long. I'm not supposed to start the Protein Shakes until Sunday but I did sneak half of one in today and was thrilled. You can also try some sugar-free Jell-O. I had one today and found myself chewing it. It was very exciting. I am currently down 6 pounds from surgery day and I plan to start exercising tomorrow a little. It sounds like you're off to a great start you just have to find what you can stomach right now. Good luck and Id love to hear updates

I'm supposed to have 1 oz of Fluid every 15 minutes during waking hours with a goal of 48-64 oz a day. They really want me to get 60-70 g of Protein a day but Water is soooooo good right now! I hadn't had a BM either and the surgeons nurse recommended Dulcolax. It actually made me get extremely hot and pass out. Thank God my husband heard me call him because he got there in time to keep me from falling to the floor. If you have to take a laxative please be careful @@GraceysMommy09

Wow that's terrible. I actually just went and thought I was going to die. But at least that's over and maybe from here on out will be much easier. I'm still not able to stomach much. Even Water is starting to get nasty to me. Sounds weird but what I really want is some food!!!! I'd be happy with a salad some green Beans anything like that just something hot besides broth. I'm not big on Jello. I've kinda got a nauseous stomach going on so if I don't want it I don't try to stomach it because I know it will make me sick. I can't wait until April 1st and the surgeon moves me to something besides liquids. Ughh I want food!! What about yall??

So i had my surgery on March 16th. I had a hiatal hernia repair while they were in there. First day I was npo the whole time except ice chips. 1 medicine cup every hour. I slept alot this day and didn't have much gas. My surgery took about 2 hours. Second day I could have 2 medicine cups of liquid every hour and I was allowed broth and watered down apple juice. I mostly drank the juice and Water. Didn't have an appetite at all. Started to get gas this day. It hurt a bit. 3rd day I really had gas pains and they hurt alot. In my chest and my back up between my shoulder blades, but I'm up and walking around as much as I can and was still allowed just 2 med cups an hour. Still didn't have an appetite. So now it's day 4 and the gas pains are minimal and i still haven't had a bm yet. I feel a little pressure each time I drink. I still don't know my fill point yet so I don't take in much at a time. Still don't have an appetite for any broth or anything like that but I have drank almost 11 ozs of my premir Protein Shake and almost 64ozs of water. Last thing I want is to get dehydrated. I got to walk around outside 2 times today then it started raining. But my room is upstairs so I've had to climb stairs and I walk around the house too. When I went into the hospital I weighed 351. When I left the hospital I weighed 358 from all the Fluid that they gave me. Today I weighed in at 345 whoopeee!!!!! I really don't want to eat any of the broths or anything the thought of it and the smell of it makes me nauseous. I do feel like I could eat other foods but I have to wait 2 weeks until I get to the doc to see what he says. For some reason I just feel like I could eat some green Beans and chicken lol. I guess something that has some texture to it since I have been doing liquid for so long. I'm hungry, just not for the foods that I am allowed to eat. I have meds that I have to take and I've had to crush them up with a little applesauce and I tell u what, that has been horrible!!!! Makes me want to throw up with this one med that I have to take because it's so big and it tastes like death!!! So until then I guess I am stuck with water, juice, and Protein Shakes. How is everyone else doing that has had thier surgeries? Are our situations similar?? Hope you all are doing as well as I am!!

mine was on the 2nd and we were at about the same weight. It's weird it's only been the last few days that my meds(from before surgery) have bothered me. I feel like crap after I eat for about an hour. I'm tired allot but my doctor says it's normal so I have to take that as word.

I had my surgery on April 23rd at 7:30am. Of course my friend came on the 22nd which sucked since you wear a tampon. I was out of surgery around 1pm. I have been in ICU since Thursday afternoon. My doctor said I will be in here until Monday, Tuesday the latest. Monday, he is going to do the stomach test to see if everything is working properly. I won't have anything to drink or eat until Monday.

Prepost weight 274

14 days of liquid diet, cheated twice

Day of surgery 258.4

I am not sure how much I weigh now and my body is swollen from the gas that they fill your tummy before surgery and the fluids that are going into me 24/7.

I'm so happy that u were able to have surgery. It's very hard for about the first month. I'm slowly getting better. I can't eat anything fried at all. If its greasy my stomach will not tolerate it all. Some foods still bother my stomach and I don't know until after I eat it that my stomach doesn't like it. Like yesterday I had a frozen egg roll that I heated and I ate about half of it, made it halfway to town before I was throwing it up. I'm finally drinking more Water. My stomach is tolerating it much better. I hate it that u have to deal with ur surgery and the fact that ur period came on, that's just torture. I hope u get out of the icu soon. U must keep me updated on ur progress. I'm on fb as shanda singletary if u guys want to find me!!! I would love to be friends so we can keep in touch. I am finally down to 319 in a little over a month and a half. I think I'm progressing pretty well. And thank God I'm on real food now. That's the hardest part by far!!

Oh and the Protein Shakes I am NOT able to stomach those at all!! I'm eating the absolute zero Protein yogurt from oikos that has 15 grams of protein bam!!! Lol so I eat about 2 of those a day and get the rest of my protein from meats that I eat. I try to stay away from carbs especially noodles and bread. My stomach doesn't like them too well. I'm occasionally able to stomach them but they don't have protein so I don't try to fill up on them. Let me know how things are going with the rest of u guys