Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Decide

I have struggled with so many things during my life mostly my weight and my finances, but those two things combined have led me to some pretty dumb decisions over the course of the past thirty years. I have managed to just be complacent in my misery and poor decision making which has kept the disease of depression in full gear.

I have had to do some soul searching over the past couple of weeks when I received the call that I may get to have WLS paid for by my insurance. I was literally in a lottery drawing for a year waiting to be called. My first thought was pure elation, like I had actually won the million dollar lottery. But quickly that elation changed to anxiety, fear, and depression as I began to learn more about the surgery and the process and talk to others about their experience. I had done enough research to know already that WLS was not a quick fix even though that is really what I wanted, a quick fix. But the more I learned the more I was awakened to all of the emotional baggage that I needed to let go of if the surgery would ever be a success. You see I do not eat because I am hungry, I eat because of everything else, boredom, loneliness, happiness, sadness, and every emotion in between. It was going to take hard work, just like any other diet or lifestyle change. It was only a tool, not a cure.

At my first appointment in this long process, I asked a lot of questions. Just hoping that someone would say this was going to be easy, but no one did. Everyone said how much work it would be, and how strict they are about the process and following the guidelines provided by the doctors, even prior to ever having the surgery. But my nurse named Gretta told me I needed to just DECIDE that I was going to do it. She talked to me about how she was finally able to quit smoking and it just came to her one day that she needed to just decide not to do it. She has not had a cigarette in nearly 3 years. So is it really that simple. Just decide. So it seems that everywhere I have turned this past week I keep hearing the word decide, from scripture, in my devotionals, from other people. It sounds simple, so that is what I am going to do. I am DECIDING today that I want to have WLS and I am DECIDING that I will follow the rules and I am DECIDING that I will lose weight, and I am DECIDING that I want to be able to do so much more with so much less of me (physically). So I say to you, if you want to overcome obesity and change your life, just DECIDE. Let’s do this together.

The bible says, “Be diligent in these matters; give yourself wholly to them so that everyone may see your progress.” 1 Timothy 4:15

It is possible to rise up, do battle with our issues, using the Lord’s strength in us, defeat them – spiritually, physically and mentally – to the glory of God. ----From Made to Crave Devotional.

Some Quotes:

“Whatever you decide to do, make sure it makes you happy.”

“Decide in your heart of hearts what really excites and challenges you and start moving your life in that direction.”

“Once you’ve made the decision to move on, don’t look back. You will never find your future in the rear view mirror.”

“I am NOT a product of my circumstances. I AM a product of my decisions.”

“You will know you made the right decision; you feel the stress leaving your body, your mind, your life.”

“Every accomplishment starts with the decision to try.”

Great post! I love your attitude, it will serve you well on this journey.

This quote struck a cord with me, “Once you’ve made the decision to move on, don’t look back. You will never find your future in the rear view mirror.”

It's a major life decision. Getting the sleeve has helped me in so many ways. This is a life change and it's not so bad. It will help you fight the demons and may you find yourself happier with this gradual change. I am a happier person with so much awe as I keep losing weight.

Congrats!

I absolutely LOVE your post! Ida's also encouraged. It's wonderful to encourage others as you encourage yourself...it's a nice "extra" incentive! The best to you!

stacy I don't know if you watch tlc but the 600 lb life series is truly motivational. I watched in amazement how some of those patients who are 600 lbs or more have to jump thru hoops just to get their surgery and we're talking losing 100 lbs in a month on their own no surgery once that is accomplished they get the surgery. and it's not the easy way out as some people think. they have to be conscious of what they are eating, they have to break life long habits such as soda and fast food, some don't even know how to cook. I am so happy to see their transformation and I know you can do this. Think of your life ahead if you don't do it. I know it's scary, I am 68 and had my surgery at 66 so it was either surgery or a future with bad health. I had diabetes which was getting worse , high blood pressure and high cholesterol. my mobility was almost to the handicap cart stage I have to say the surgery was the best thing I have ever done. I am no longer on any medications and I feel like a million bucks. I am enjoying life and eating good healthy food. I will pray for you and keep us posted. There are many people here who would love to help you.

I also DECIDED to have the surgery. Has it been easy, Hell No!!! but I've not regretted a single day. Wednesday I'll be 1 year out and I'd do it again in a heart beat if I needed to, but I DECIDED to make it work and to take my life back. I don't hide from my emotions anymore. If someone makes my upset, I tell them. If they make me sad, I tell them. No more keeping my emotions to myself for fear of upsetting someone else. I've found that those who matter for the most part didn't realize they were hurting me and have been more cognitive of how their words can hurt or upset. I DECIDED that a positive attitude was detrimental to my success so I'm no longer allowing negative thoughts and people to influence me and I've succeeded. Overall I'm down 94 pds from my highest weight and 87 from surgical weight. I originally thought that 125 was a good goal weight but I've leveled off at 130 and I'm good with that and so is my surgeon. You're going to do great. Keep positive and make it work.

Your post was outstanding. Very motivational and oh so true!

After I was diagnosed with stage 3 kidney disease I DECIDED to take my life back and I have not looked back once. I thank god every day for providing us with excellent doctors who have learned so much about obesity and have figured out a way for us to cure ourselves so we can get our health back.

I wish you the best of luck with your upcoming surgery, I will say a prayer for you for a speedy recovery so you can get on with your new life. Every day is exciting!

Thank you for this motivational, wise post. I'm a year out and 100 pounds down. The real work of dealing with why I eat has just started. Why and what to do instead. It's hard but I'm worth it. So are you!

I agree- decide to do it and then"own it"

This is hard to understand after a history of failed diets that this really is different. It is a chance, not a guarantee, but a fighting chance to finally get the obesity disease under control.

I had many doubts..many...but once committed I focused on"success" -reading inspiring stories, looking at before and after pix etc. At that point I stopped reading the doubt filled posts and just"went for the gold"

You can do this.

I agree with you and the above postings. Once you've made the decision to have WLS it seems like you are catapulted toward your new life and the benefits of weight loss. Best of luck to you, in no time at all you will be on the "loser's bench." A great place to be!

I love the quotes. My son is suffering with depression and alcohol abuse and has recently decided to seek help. I sent him these quotes as they are relevant to so many life decisions. Thank you for sharing.