Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 week post op protein problems....

Isopure got me thru the clear liquid phase but did taste bad as did everything that went into my mouth.

After the clear liquid phase, the only Protein drink I could do was Sytax fuzzy navel. I love it and still drink it daily. It's tasty and not thick. (Thankfully someone told me about it on this site. Saved my day!)

Sorry you have to go back to work so soon but get it. Take care.

Hi all. I am five days post op and I am getting so tired of broths and creams of Soup. I have been trying hard to sip throughout the day but I feel so "full". The one thing I can't get over is the noise my pouch makes with every bite I take. Help with any suggestions please.

I am 7 days out and my pouch is very noisy as well. I am certan this is something that will correct itself with healing. I am actually surprised you are allowed to have "cream of" soups! I am still Clear Liquids until tomorrow. I am only two days ahead of you so all I can say is hang in there I am certain it will get better

The one thing I can't get over is the noise my pouch makes with every bite I take. Help with any suggestions please.

That will get better with time, I promise!

Im 1 week post op today (surgery 3/2) and i am totally able to get in my 60oz of Water and i am also able to have my yogurts and puddings and ice pops! Im worried im able to do too much! Ive even began adding cheese and some pureed soups!! Am i doing something wrong? Everyone seems to have issues with eating and liquids and my tummys grumbling

Did your doctor actually tell you that you had to get 60 g of Protein only a week after surgery or did they say that is what you would eventually aim for? Do they know you're trying to go back to work so soon? My doctor wouldn't agree to the surgery if he even remotely thought I was lying about taking at least two weeks off.

I swear by the Isopure and I did drink that post op when I started feeling weak but I was on a clear liquid diet for a week post op so I had no choice. Also, broth is a good way to get Protein. Just watch your sodium level with that.

They said I am to "work my way up to it" but when they called to check up on me Friday they were REALLY pushing the 60g thing. I will have hubby pick up some Isopure on the way home from work tonight. He is going to GNC anyhow to pick up some Protein powder for me. I have shied away from Isopure because I have heard so many people DON'T like it. But these Protein shakes are just too much. I also was on clear liquid a week prior.

My surgeon's office says for this procedure your amount of time off obviously depends on the type of job you do, but given I have basically a desk job they said I should be ok at a week to two. Of course me being me, I set my goal at the shorter end of that. I guess we will just have to see what he says tomorrow.

Isopure flavors are definitely different than your average kool-aid so you gotta try them all before ruling them out (my favorite is passion fruit and least fav is grape cause it taste like smelly feet). Also, because of the high protein content, it's a bit like drinking paper. That's the best way to describe it. You get used to it. I'd take that any day over some of the sickening sweet milky Protein Shakes out there. They make me gag usually. I can do the Oh Yeah shakes and the GNC Total Lean Mint layer cake only when I have a sweet craving.

I also have a desk job and my doc still refused to do the surgery when he thought I was going to take off less than two weeks. But I also had a walking program in place at the time of surgery to hit my 10K steps and I escaped my desk at work to hit that goal every day so maybe he was more worried about that.

Im 1 week post op today (surgery 3/2) and i am totally able to get in my 60oz of Water and i am also able to have my yogurts and puddings and ice pops! Im worried im able to do too much! Ive even began adding cheese and some pureed soups!! Am i doing something wrong? Everyone seems to have issues with eating and liquids and my tummys grumbling

You aren't doing anything wrong (except maybe moving to soft cheeses and purees before you are cleared to?). Some people have more trouble than others with liquids and swallowing post-op. It's all about how your stomach tissue reacts to the trauma of surgery. Some people have a lot of swelling that makes even getting liquids in difficult. Some people have temporary damage to their nerves which make them just not feel full even when they are. We all end up in the same place a few weeks out, once things have healed up.

@@JamieLogical

Well said Jamie. You are logical.

My surgery is not for a few more weeks, but my doc and the nutritionist stressed that getting fluids was the first priority during the first week. The NUT also said that some people like to add Water to the Isopure since it is a little "thick." I tried a few flavors of the Isopure so I would know what to get for postop, and it wasn't thick exactly, but there is something different about it. I did not like the orange, but I did like the apple melon. The NUT also said that you can have unjury strawberry sorbet mixed with Water or mix some of the unflavored Unjury with water + crystal light or broth. I am lactose intolerant, so I use Unjury pretty much exclusively for Protein shakes.

I have a question if anyone can advise me I'd appreciate it I had the sleeve two weeks ago today was discharged two days later had follow up on the monday six days after surgery i lost 15 lbs in a week surgeon says way too much come off clear liquids and on full liquids and puréed which I did I lost another 15 lbs this week I feel awful since the Sunday after surgery I woke up feeling extremely weak and shaky can't seem to drink enough fluids Water tastes like metal anything with artificial sweeteners tastes godawful have no trouble eating of course not eating much but haven't felt nauseated or thrown up I'm using GENEPRO Protein Powder I put in all food and Hot Drinks doesn't seem to dissolve in cold drinks has anyone else felt this way? How long does it last does it get better? I can't even imagine trying to go back to work I can't drink every minute and do my job not that I could work in this condition tried calling drs office yesterday was put on hold for 10 mins no one came back on the line I hung up even if they asked me to come in at this point I don't feel strong enough to walk from where parking is to the building where the office is

@@shellyd88

Shelly, you describe pretty much how I felt. First, it does get better. My doc said to just focus on healing and getting liquids in. I also was weak and shaky. I had diarrhea and had a very hard time getting liquids in. Yes, everything tastes terrible but just sip and get it in. I did get dehydrated and had to go to the ER for fluids and I felt much better after that.

Keep in contact with your surgeon, it's very important.

Complications are really rare. You just had major surgery. I know we read on here how some sleevers feel great right away and can eat anything. It is an individual experience, everyone is different. Just pay attention to you.

One thing my doc said to watch for was a high temperature (101+), racing pulse, chills and sever abdominal pain which could be a leak. I know, you just had surgery so of course you abdomen hurts but a leak is the major complication they are concerned with. If you don't have a fever, chills, or a racing pulse you are probably fine.

yep try the Syntrax fuzzy navel, ( i love the Cappuccino as well but thats with milk for m so its thicker,) but the fuzzy navel pink grapefruit and cherry and the apple even ( not the grape) all mix with Water and you can mix them with ike 5 ounces of Water and do a scoop and a half of mix, so you get 39 grams of Protein in one 5 to 6 ounces serving so its much easier to fit in your little sleeve!. if you go the Isopure ready made clear drinks, go with alpine punch and orange frost, and the black tea with lemon those are the good ones.

GENEPRO is a joke. its a lie they tell you to use much less Protein saying that their blend is like getting 30 grams of Protein but they are saying that as if you cant absorb protein which isnt true so genepro right of is a very very bad idea it doesnt give you anywhere near enough protein which is probably why your body is starving itself along with dehydration. please do not rely on the GENEPRO or at least put in three to four times as much as it calls for.

If using GENEPRO, I would only count the 15g of Protein that are physically in a serving, not the 30g they claim. But I personally steer clear of it entirely, because it seems like a bunch of junk science to me.

Edited by JamieLogical

The first week I failed miserably on protein.my taste changes were so radical. I couldn't eat anything with artificial sweetness. I wanted to gag. I loved the Bariatric Advantage shakes before surgery now I can't even. My dr said don't worry this week just get the Water and some broth. This week is better and I find the Quest shakes are less sweet. I'm getting better every day