Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone see "Big Medicine"?

Has anyone watched the show that comes on afterwards? All the people are in the hospital from being overweight. One man had a huge tumor the size of

a basketball related to obesity and yet he was still sneaking food into the

hospital. The dr. on that show really seems to want to help obese people.

It's great show too.

Yes. That's Brookhaven. I watch that, too. Wasn't that gross? It was huge. And he, too, is one of the cheaters. Man. I don't know what it has to take for some people. I guess he just hasn't had his light bulb/defining moment, yet. That's all I can figure.

I'm totally addicted to both shows now! I love the Dr.'s on Big Medicine, too! :)

One thing that frustrated me about Brookhaven the other night though, was how they stressed that the lady that wanted Gastric Bypass wanted to "take the easy way out" by having the surgery.

I know I don't have to try and convince anyone here, but the perception of weight loss surgery has got to change. How would having a surgery to prolong her life instead of dying from extreme obesity be the easy way out? I think they're not giving her credit for wanting to change her life. I mean, as others have stated here.... many of the other patients on the show are sneaking food in and not improving their health anyway. At least she's being proactive!

I'm totally addicted to both shows now! I love the Dr.'s on Big Medicine, too! :)

One thing that frustrated me about Brookhaven the other night though, was how they stressed that the lady that wanted Gastric Bypass wanted to "take the easy way out" by having the surgery.

I know I don't have to try and convince anyone here, but the perception of weight loss surgery has got to change. How would having a surgery to prolong her life instead of dying from extreme obesity be the easy way out? I think they're not giving her credit for wanting to change her life. I mean, as others have stated here.... many of the other patients on the show are sneaking food in and not improving their health anyway. At least she's being proactive!

right. it seems to be OK for people to blaim the obese person for some kind of character flaw. maybe one day in the future it will be politically incorrect to blame an obese person for his/her condition, but for now...:straight

Mert how was the whole experience with your surgeons? Garth seems like the sweetest Dr. in the world. I wish I would have know about him in March 2007 when I received my lapband!

Garth Davis is fantastic. He wasn't my bariatric surgeon, but I knew him very well when he was training at UM, he was a good friend of mine and one of my all-time favorite surgical residents. What a great guy!

Did you guys watch Big Medicine tonight??? Did you see the surgeons' daughter/sister has the LapBand and was having problems? She was vomiting and the ER where she was didn't know about the band and couldn't unfill her!?!?!?! What's up w/that? She had to fly home to have them unfill her a little. I'm gonna call my local hospitals to see if they're familiar w/the LapBand.

The lack of awareness, knowledge, and skill scares me. Something so simple...wow.

I wonder where she got her lapband. If she had a problem, looks like they would have contacted him.

It's not on here yet, but I am waiting for it. Both of those shows are my favorites and i wait all week for them to come on.

Those people that think that gastric bypass is going to end all their problems have some big surprises in store for them. Without the band, their pouches stretch. I know someone that had gastric bypass and was 450 lbs on her surgery date. She got down to 140 and is now at least 300 again.

I think the band with the option of getting it tighter or loosened definitely

beats having your insides rerouted. There are a lot of gastric bypass people who are now getting banded.

She was in Ohio. It looks like Dr. Currie or Curry who posts here could have fixed her. He's noted to be a top band surgeon. I can't even imagine that she had to get on a plane and fly to Texas. That's just crazy!

I just watched that episode about Dr. Garth's sister too. I was really shocked that she had to fly all the way here to Texas to get help. I live a little north of Houston and I am having my first seminar visit with Dr. Garth next month. I am nervous and excited too, not sure if I can get approved though. My BMI is 34 so it looks like I'm right on the borderline of being able to get this approved. I have some health issues though so I'm hoping that it is enough to get me approved for the surgery.

I have Big Medicine on DVR, and I just hope hope hope it taped! My DVR is on crack sometimes. I love the show, though, and if I lived closer to Houston, I'd really love to have Garth as a doc. Alas, I'm a ways away. And I don't think my ins will cover and I can't afford self-pay. But all that aside, whoever said that the psyche would like to see everyone denied is so right! She annoys me a lot!