Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone see "Big Medicine"?

Its a new show I think on TLC and its about these 2 baratric surgeons father and son who perorm mostly gastric bypasses (I havent seen any lap bands done yet). But I was just wondering if anyone saw this and whether or not you thought this was a good idea this show? I mean does it inform or glamorize these procedures? Will it have a positive or negative effect? Will people think these surgeries are for just anyone? Chime in please!

Hi tink

I saw the show advertised during the INSIDE THE BROOKHAVEN OBESITY CLINIC marathon I watched on Sunday. I think it's an interesting concept. I worry about the people being objectified and perhaps used for rating purposes. I think it just depends on how the information and subjects are presented.

Of course, just my two cents.

Nathalie

Hey great name you have, its mine too! except I spell it Natalie. Yes my concern too was perhaps the exploitation of the subject of obesity, but I do think that they so far have portrayed these people as normal honest good people like all of us. However I am concerned that they do not drive home the fact that these people have tried dieting for years unsuccessfully and that the surgery was their last hope. I am afraid this might glorify the operation and many people will think this is a quick fix.., Anyone?

I watch the show. Like the doctors. It appears they only perform bypasses. I feel it's time for a show about Bandsters. Alot of people aren't as familar with the band as bypass.

I watch the show. Like the doctors. It appears they only perform bypasses. I feel it's time for a show about Bandsters. Alot of people aren't as familar with the band as bypass.

:clap2: I TOTALLY agree! It's time for some publicity for the lapband. Yeah, I've seen some advertisments, but it would be great to get a mini-series documentary on the lapband...follow a few patients over the course of a year and watch their journey! Now THAT would be good television! hehe

The daughter/sister of the surgeons is a member of OH, and she says that there is at least one lap-band episode coming up.

I love Big medicine. I htink they do a good job but i really want a lap band episode. I hate the show INSIDE THE BROOKHAVEN OBESITY CLINIC. I was watching it the other day and they had 2 people that had decided to get GB and the narrator said well they hace opted for the fast easy way out unlike like _ who will be working hard and doing it without surgery. How can a show about obesity be so negative towards bariatric surgery? I was afraid that Big Medicine was gonna be like that but i was really happy with the show.

Yes, I watch Big Medicine and I like it, so far. I, too, wish they had more Lap Band coverage. I think GB is just too invasive. Why don't we make it happen w/the Lap Band series???

Ariel: Wow. I didn't catch that comment on the Inside Brookhaven. I'm really disappointed b/c I've been watching this show, too. :) I agree. How can they be so negative towards bariatric surgery? I'm a bit confused by that one. ;)

I could kick myself. My PCP told me about Garth, but I didn't go with him because I couldn't find anything about him doing lapbands. He does do lapbands. His father and him and now Dr. Spiegel are operating out of University General, a new hospital here in Houston. Five star establishment.

The two Davis's are a hoot and bring some refreshing comedy to a subject that has not always been funny. It is a 10 episode show with them so I'm sure they will have lapband surgery in there.

I was glad to see the profiles of the plastic surgeons because I wanted to know more about Rappaport featured in the first episode.

We've got to hope that more will be said about lapbandsters as there are more and more of us. I try to put all these shows in perspective, but I do learn something from each of them. If nothing, it keeps the whole thing real for me. :)

I love Garth, knew him when he was just a little resident.

I haven't seen the show, I need to try to catch it, there is another thread around here about it.

They are finally going to show a lapband patient on next weeks show. Also on this week episode a lady was having a revision and they said her first surgery was a malina band? What is that?

I love BIG MEDICINE. I have it on Tivo. I like the fact that they are showing real cases--where everyone doesn't get approved and the public gets to see that it's a real political, emotional, and financial struggle just to "get to the operating table"

I CAN'T STAND the lady psychiatrist....If it were left up to her, everyone would be screwed up and no one would be eliglbe for surgery!!

I love this show too... Can't wait for next week because they said they will have a band patient but there will be trouble because her husband doesn't want a "skinny woman"... Hah!!

I would like to know what the Melina band is too... I wish they would have said, the patient said that it was 10 years ago; maybe it wasn't adjustable?

Great thread!