Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Healthy skeptism versus blind belief it is a miracle cure is a good thing. Others have said this already - it doesn't just "poof work like magic" it is a very powerful tool you can use to manage the disease of obesity but it takes your effort, perserverance and investment in yourself.

Most people experience (after first 2 months of healing and adjustment) "the weight comes off so easy - I can eat anything I want just small portions".... and then they cross into a realization... "darn, I guess I DO need to watch WHAT I eat, timing, frequency etc or I will regain"

I am 3 years and 3 months post op; maintaining for 2 years. My highest lifetime weight was somewhere in the mid 300s (330-350 range). My presleeve weight was 308. I wore 3X tops and at one point 32W slacks - I was a big lady. I spent most of my life overweight, morbidly obese, or super morbidly obese. This morning, I weighed 156 and I wear single digit clothing sizes.

I will never tell you it has been easy but, my life is SO GOOD without carrying around the weight of a full grown man - that was so exhausting mentally, physically, emotionally.

Wow! Thank you all so much for your great responses. I definitely get the picture that it is still very hard work. I am prepared for that. I love all of the suggestions and advice. I will definitely be using them. I plan to stay connected to bariatricpal through my journey. I can't wait for my appointment tomorrow.

It works as long as you have the right mindset and are willing to work at it. It is not magic. If you walk into it thinking I'll eat whatever I want and exercise whenever I feel like it...it's not going to give you the results you are looking for. Consider WLS as just one leg of a three legged stool. The other two legs are diet and exercise. Do your research on this board and others. Learn what makes someone successful and stay at or below goal through out the years. And emulate them.

I think this is a normal and healthy fear. I agree with the sentiment of the other posters - it's a tool, you have to do the work, you feel differently about food in the beginning, and you will see.

I also want to say that at over two years out, I STILL worry that it won't work for me. I live in fear every day that I won't be able to maintain my life and body. I LOVE being thin and every gift that comes with it. I now realize that it can all be gone in a hurry. It's all me now. I still have the sleeve, and it does offer some restriction, but if I let myself, I could eat enough over the course of the day to get back up to 300 pounds. I believe that I've learned enough during the time it took me to lose the weight NOT to let that happen, but I know that I have to stay vigilant.

So, I say all this not to scare you, but to empower you. I am in charge of my weight, and you can be, too. The sleeve bought me a window of opportunity, and I successfully used it to get to a normal weight. So while I fear it could be easy to lose control, t's much easier to maintain that than it is to face losing a hundred pounds or more. I think I learned enough along the way to make the most of the gift of the sleeve. It's not some sort of magic - we have the power in this case.

I can work if YOU work it. I was worried about the same thing pre-op having failed so many times to maintain whatever weight loss I managed, (20, 40, 60 pounds, only to gain it back with interest withing the next year). It's different now because I CANNOT physically over eat. I'm able to eat what I like, how I like it in very small quantities and never feel like I'm on a "diet". I exercise moderately but regularly and miss it when I can't, (WTH?). DO I get hungry? Yes. Hunger returned after about 6 months, but not to the degree I had it before. It's manageable now. I still have to watch what I'm doing. Calories can add up and if I'm not careful I can creep outside my maintenance zone. When that happens, I go back to logging for a week or two until I'm back where I belong. You still have to manage your tool. I just find I manage A LOT better now!

@@glitter eyes

This is such a great thread. I needed to hear this.

I am a recent lap-band to sleeve revision. 10 years with lap-band complications! I am terrified after the sleeve surgery is healed, it won't work because it doesn't hurt all the time like my lap band did. Doesn't help that I've been on a weight loss stall for a week.

Hearing about all of this long-term success, combined with focus and hard work AND the sleeve, I am feeling relieved. My eyes are set on the long-term goal----an active rest of my life time at a normal weight, with daily vigilance about what I eat and staying active. I can do it and it WILL WORK!!

Thank you!!

I didnt read thru all the comments...I had same thoughts! I had been on every diet known possible. This is NOT the magic bullet! you STILL have to put in the WORK of making the RIGHT choices. everyone is differant as far as the feeling of hungry. I still had the "feeling of hungry"afterwards. I also deal with GERD before an after. I was sleeved 8 months ago. its also hard to distinguish between head hunger (cravings an impulses to eat) an REAL hunger. eat Protein first. I still make sure I eat protein first an my snack(s) are also protein. This is a wonderful tool. lifestyle change for life is essential to work. I had a weight problem since I was 18 then had 2 kids yoyo dieted married all together over 35 yrs Iv been through ALOT of situations an circumstances. I ate for every emotion there is. sugar addict. I had my doubts an I even said to myself "what the h*** am I doing to myself!" it was now or never. I was sick n tired of being trapped in my fat suit. I did it! My life has changed for the best I have a wonderful hubs (my 2nd marriage) an I have been given a second chance an I feel like my life at 51 is just the beginning! I am 8 months out it has been a roller coaster of emotions an what a journey! 0ver 100 pds down an its simply amazing!! best wishes! keep us posted :) IT WORKS!!

Good thread. I have the same fears.. that it won't work.. that I wont be able to stop emotionally eating, that I will only lose a few pounds and gain it all back.

I look at the sleeve as training wheels to long term behavior modification. You get this long honeymoon period where your behavior HAS to change, due to physical changes. And during this time you have every reason in the world to learn and implement new behaviors. By the time the physical restrictions become less, your brain will have relearned good eating. I'm only about 18 months out and I still can't finish a full turkey burger patty without feeling "uncomfortable". But the miracle is that my brain knows to only put one turkey burger patty on my plate! No fries! No bun!

You can do this! Let the sleeve do it's job and you do your job. Rethink eating, rethink nutrition. And enjoy the new control you will gain!

Being a band to sleever with no success on the band, I was worried too that I'd be the exception, the one for whom the sleeve didn't work, or that I wouldn't be able to do what it takes. But it IS different and it does work (and I work at it too :> ). For me its slow - I don't feel much of a restriction so I have to be very mindful - but always downward. I am really delighted with the sleeve and extremely glad I was able to have the surgery.

Yeah.... it works. Don't over-think this. It. Works.

Don't waste precious time and energy worrying - that's the one thing I wish I had done differently.

Look forward to all the exciting changes! Best thing I've ever done for me!

Everyone here said it right…it’s up to you to make it work. If you do your part, the WLS does its part. It’s normal and healthy to be nervous, but if you’re committed, it’ll work. Like @@Elode said, “If you do your part it has no choice but to work.” It’s up to you, not to a band, sleeve, pouch, surgeon, or anything else. Good luck!

It works. I am a total sweets addict. chocolate, candy, ice-cream, cakes, Cookies, you name it! Totally addicted! And breads, do not even get me started! I had VSG Feb 4, 2015. Great surgery experience, zero issues afterward and, at 6 weeks out and 35 pounds lost, I have never puked! Winning! Here's the biggest surprise: I have NO APPETITE FOR SWEETS! Zero! My hubby is very fit, and he loves his Snacks. The house is always stocked with treats, and I haven't had a single one! Not one! I just don't even think about it. Even typing this, I have no urge. It's like a switch was flipped. I crave meat. eggs are my favorite treat, scrambled with low fat cheese. I can eat 1/2 of an egg at a sitting and it is like heaven! And I leave the table totally satisfied! I am actually having to track what I eat to make sure I am getting enough food in me. So, what I guess I am saying is this, IT WORKS. It has to. There is no room for junk food. There is no craving for junk food. Your body tells you what you need now. Add just a little activity and the pounds pour off! Do it. Do it for your future, fitter self. I promise, you will not regret it!

It works. I am a total sweets addict. chocolate, candy, ice-cream, cakes, Cookies, you name it! Totally addicted! And breads, do not even get me started! I had VSG Feb 4, 2015. Great surgery experience, zero issues afterward and, at 6 weeks out and 35 pounds lost, I have never puked! Winning! Here's the biggest surprise: I have NO APPETITE FOR SWEETS! Zero! My hubby is very fit, and he loves his Snacks. The house is always stocked with treats, and I haven't had a single one! Not one! I just don't even think about it. Even typing this, I have no urge. It's like a switch was flipped. I crave meat. eggs are my favorite treat, scrambled with low fat cheese. I can eat 1/2 of an egg at a sitting and it is like heaven! And I leave the table totally satisfied! I am actually having to track what I eat to make sure I am getting enough food in me. So, what I guess I am saying is this, IT WORKS. It has to. There is no room for junk food. There is no craving for junk food. Your body tells you what you need now. Add just a little activity and the pounds pour off! Do it. Do it for your future, fitter self. I promise, you will not regret it!

A couple years ago, before I got pregnant, I did a whole 30 plan. I tell you it was so freeing.. I didn't crave anything!

Welcome aboard! I would say you have to really think about what you mean by "will it work". The surgery itself is not what "works". It does take life changes and living within your nutrition/calorie counts...and exercise (the part I haven't come close to mastering). I freaked out about 4 weeks after surgery when the scale wasn't moving AT.ALL. But my husband talked me back from the ledge and I continued to follow the plan and eventually I did start losing. If I measured "will it work" by losing as much as other people have in the same amount of time I would be disappointed and say no, it didn't work. But if I measure "is it working" by looking at what it has done for me (no more heart medicine, ability to walk down the steps into my office without being afraid my knee is going to buckle...) and the fact that I am learning to listen to my stomach when it tells me it is full the first time (hard lesson to learn) then it has worked, will work and will lead me to the healthier life that motivated me in the first place.

Hope this wasn't too preachy...really didn't mean it to be :)