Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does everyone meet their protein goal every day?

Be careful. Your body can only absorb 20g per hour. If you drink one shake fast you'll either have pain, throw up, or not get all your Protein for the day. I think 3 small 20g shakes are easier than 1 big one for three or 4 hours straight!

I talked to my nutritionist about that same thing. She said "ideally" you should get your protein in over the period of the day, however is get 58 grams of protein in a shake and I have had no problems. I have lost 140 pounds and no issues whatsoever. No Hair loss, no stalls, no problems with drinking or eating.

Be careful. Your body can only absorb 20g per hour. If you drink one shake fast you'll either have pain, throw up, or not get all your Protein for the day. I think 3 small 20g shakes are easier than 1 big one for three or 4 hours straight!

I talked to my nutritionist about that same thing. She said "ideally" you should get your Protein in over the period of the day, however is get 58 grams of protein in a shake and I have had no problems. I have lost 140 pounds and no issues whatsoever. No hair loss, no stalls, no problems with drinking or eating.

That's what I do. My big AM shake is usually split in 2. I drink half pre workout and the other half post workout. No Hair loss, no stalls and no problems eating or drinking.

Everytime I read the forums I've come to realize how different each M. D. 's protocol is! Some people are allowed to eat pureed or solids much quicker than others. I am still pre-op waing on insurance probably end of March beginning of April. I can't begin anything but liquids for 8 weeks! Clear, then full, Protein Shakes increasing. Lots of Vitamins.

Does anyone know of a good Protein chart? I need something easy to use to show how much Protein is in different foods.

I don't think I'm getting enough protein even though I have a protein shake every day and put the Protein Powder in my yogurt or Cereal in the morning. I am just starting to notice some hair loss - I'm 3 1/2 months post op. But so happy with the results so far - almost half way to my goal!

Your body can absorb more than 20grams of Protein per hour , 40 grams in your sleeve at one time is about the maximum it everyone's body absorbs differently when I need to I use a scoop and a half of Syntrax products with 5 Olof 1%milk or Water and I get 38 to 39 grams of protein per and it has worked great so far all my labs are great no Hair loss no side effects , so be careful using not true facts please

Thanks Stevehud. I'll still follow my dr's recommendarions and be on the safe side. I guess whatever works is best. Not a one size fits all. I'm more concerned with health than weight anyway.

Does anyone know of a good Protein chart? I need something easy to use to show how much Protein is in different foods.

I don't think I'm getting enough protein even though I have a Protein shake every day and put the Protein powder in my yogurt or Cereal in the morning. I am just starting to notice some hair loss - I'm 3 1/2 months post op. But so happy with the results so far - almost half way to my goal!

Just did a quick search on google and found this useful info

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/whattoeat/a/highproteinfood.htm?utm_term=high%20protein%20food%20chart&utm_content=p1-main-1-title&utm_medium=sem&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=adid-6664203d-a311-4398-9c34-a34f41c3a68b-0-ab_gsb_ocode-4949&ad=semD&an=google_s&am=broad&q=high%20protein%20food%20chart&dqi=&o=4949&l=sem&qsrc=999&askid=6664203d-a311-4398-9c34-a34f41c3a68b-0-ab_gsb

A few more

high-protein-food-chart.jpg

And found a decent chart on this site.. Nb bypass the dieting info as thats not for us.. But his chart is - foods highest in Protein with lowest fat

http://bearware.info/DietPlan.html

I have to supplement my Protein intake with shakes to get enough Protein each day. powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury is my choice for shakes. My minimum for protein is 70 grams daily, and preferably 100 grams. Most days I can get to the 100 grams, but not with just food - have to include at least 2 servings of Unjury.< /p>

I have been getting over 80 into the 100 with my Protein here lately. I still have a hard time on the weekends. I have a bad habit of not eating much ...I'm working on it bad habits die hard! I have found a Protein shake concoction that doesn't make me sick so I drink that in the morning followed by a P3 snack a little later...I started making my own because it's cheaper lol. Then eat some type of meat for lunch (chick fil a grilled chicken nuggets are good) then dinner would be some other meat...I try to eat a lot of protein I can hardly eat that so veggies and fruit are very few, far and between.

oh and I log everything on My fitness Pal....a life saver when it comes to the amount of protein and carbs I intake.

Edited by GenaW828

Yes i get my Protein in 95% of the time..and thats just one or two shakes..plus a bar... some day i just don't feel like having it…but i do…its Water than i have problem with and I've tried just about every brand is hard but i do try...

It can be really tough to get all your protein! What I’ve found really works is actually following what all the surgeons and dietitians say: think Protein first at every meal and snack! If you’re just having 3 meals a day, make sure each has two servings of Protein – no excuses.

Maybe for me it could be egg whites and tofu for Breakfast, cottage cheese and almonds for lunch and two servings of chicken for dinner. Then I build my meals around that – so maybe I’ll have some grapes with my egg whites and tofu, a salad with my cottage cheese and almonds, and broccoli and acorn squash with my chicken. However you do it, it doesn’t matter – but if I can get in two servings of protein at every meal, I can be sure to get in my protein.

But I know it gets tough, especially if you’re recently post-op and still on liquids, or you can’t tolerate or don’t eat chicken! There is a ton of good suggestions on this thread – thanks to everyone. Those Protein shakes and powders and bars can really help out if you’re having trouble getting protein from regular foods.

I'm suppose to get 60-80 grams a day and I never get anywhere near that. I am having a hard time because the Protein Shake make me gag. I don't know what to do?? I'm worried about not getting enough Protein but when I try to drink it I want to puke. I would rather not do that so I just haven't been drinking it. I have been eating Greek yogurt but it only has 14g in a serving. If I could just eat meat that would be great but I'm only 2 1/2 week post-op.

I had the same problem right after surgery. I talked to the Dr about this. Told him I was nowhere close to getting what I was supposed to. He said not to worry about it. Take it as you can, it'll improve, but work on getting as much as you can and make sure you get plenty of fluids to not get dehydrated. I'm 6 weeks out today and still don't get all mine in. I try to get at least 40-45. Before surgery, it was not recommended to get more than that....so as long as I get that....I feel I've done well.

What are you eating at 6 weeks?