Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

10 Weeks Post VSG - Struggling - Eating more - Confession.

Hey everyone - I had VSG on December 16th. A few days later I had a mild heart attack - but otherwise I've done well and recovered very nicely. But I'm really struggling ...

First, I cannot for the life of me get more fluids in. I can't stand drinking Water - cold, warm, tepid. I struggle with all fluids. I've tried everything: Mio, Crystal Lite, Protein Shakes, Lemon - you name it I've tried it. The other big issue is Protein - I seem to be so sick of protein I struggle to get in 40 grams a day. And worse, I can eat more now at 10 weeks than I could in the beginning. Not a ton - but I find some days it is easy for me to get to 900 calories a day. I still don't like sweet things or artificial sweeteners - but I can easily have an english muffin with my egg in the morning. Though that is the only bread I have in my diet at all.

My schedule and life has been insane and I haven't worked out. That is a TOTAL lie I tell myself every day. That I'm too tired. I commute 3 hours a day and even though I can wake up at 5am to do 1/2 an hour, I never do. I am very very tired and run down all the time because I'm not getting my fluids and protein.

I'm down 40 pounds but stalled for the last three weeks.

I don't know how to force myself ----

The ONLY good news in all of this is that I know I have to. I know that I had this surgery to change my life. I'm feeling better in SO many ways. But I'm struggling. Anyone else have any 'gentle' advice? I've been beating myself up non-stop about the fluids, protein, and not working out. Its just perpetuating that negative thing I do to myself and I know I need to stop. And hating myself for that stupid english muffin with bfast. When I look back at how I USED to be - I know I'm doing great. But I"m not following my plan the way I should. And I'm disappointed in myself so much.

HELP?

You are in a tough period of time, adjusting to eating regular foods. I am guessing your hunger/feelings of overeating are related to thirst or a bit of acid - both very normal at your stage. Both thirst and acid "feel" like hunger.

I had to switch to herbal teas. At the stage you were at, Water tasted weird and hurt my tummy. The crystal lite and other stuff gave me diarrea due to the fake sweeteners, so plain herbal teas with a bit of Stevia saved me. I learned this from my brother was going through a caffiene free trick and I had some at his house. Hydration should be top priority.

If you can consume 900 calories a day, you should have no problems meeting Protein targets.. right? But, if you are eating alot of dense Protein you will feel really full. So, I suggest you step away from the guilt, step away from the shoulds, and just start following your plan. I know that sounds like stupid advice, but that is how we do it... one meal, one day at a time.

I love exercise, it has helped me become the physical and mental person I am today, but I gotta tell you as it relates to weight mgt, food consumption is way more important... so rather than seeking perfection in all, how about doing "pretty good" on the food part and getting stable on that.

Do you need ideas/specifics on meals for the stage you are at?

You can do this girl - it is really really hard to change your brain - but you can and will be successful!

I went through having an aversion to drinking Water as well. Even though my surgeon told me not to, I started counting the herbal tea I was drinking toward my 64 oz. of Fluid. Then I started increasing non-caloric beverages throughout the day. Drinking stopped being a chore when I wasn't limited to Water. Now I'm back to enjoying water. Thankfully, my aversion was temporary.

When you make a mistake, it is important to acknowledge it, but it is also important that you move on. Looking backward takes your focus away from your present and future. Regret and recrimination take up energy that should be put to positive use. Please forgive yourself for your mistakes and concentrate on not repeating them.

It sounds like you're in kind of a vicious cycle - heavy work schedule/commute making you tired, which impairs your judgment about eating, and less protein/hydration makes you more tired. Can you take an extra day off work to give yourself a long weekend, and really get rested up, along with doing some basic walking for exercise, and eating well?

Also, maybe during your commute you can listen to some positive affirmation type stuff (you can find things online with a google search, or even record your own), as well as keeping Water or other beverage handy for sipping while commuting.

I agree with the others in that getting your Protein and Water up, might make you feel better, which in turn might make it easier for you to get your Protein and Water in. You need to figure out what Proteins you CAN handle. Obviously you are able to eat a fair amount if you are getting in 900 calories. It's just the wrong things you are eating. So try out various forms of protein prepared in various ways and maybe you can find things that you can tolerate that let you get you protein in and cut back on some of the other things you are eating that you shouldn't be.

Don't limit yourself to just plain chicken. Get something marinated or with some sort of yummy sauce. My husband makes delicious chicken makhani in our slow cooker, for instance! Or maybe try some pork with chile verde sauce! sauces can have some carbs in them, but it will be less carbs than an english muffin for sure!

I have meat for lunch and dinner every day and I never have the same KIND of meat twice in one day. I eat meat loaf, turkey kielbasa, the above mentioned chicken makhani, Jack Daniels pulled chicken, pork with chile verde, flavored poultry sausages my grocery store sells, shrimp, tuna salad, turkey chili..... There really are so many options! You just need to figure out what works for you.

Im a bander so I won't give advice except:

Don't ever ever ever give up on yourself. You are worth recovery !!

Oh my goodness - thank you guys so much. I can't tell you what your responses mean to me. No one I know is going through this same thing and its tough sometimes.

I'm not eating horribly - Nothing on my lists of things I shouldn't eat. And most days I stick to 700-750 calories. But I'm doing things like having full-fat salad dressing on my salads - which have chicken or Protein. But I'm learning that the full-fat dressing isn't worth it. I also really miss veggies so sometimes I'll have those instead of Protein. I do like having a 100 cal frozen yogurt bar a few times a week. So its stuff like that. I don't have any other bread - and I always limit my sugar to 15 grams.

As for fluids - I'm having tea an awful lot more - always Decaf - than I used to. And I do find warm Water is easier. Thanks for that - I just had some warm Water.

I think some of the problem is that because I'm not hungry I hate preparing my food - so then I don't and I rush and don't take the time to enjoy what I'm eating. Today I had a cobb salad with chicken, bacon, cheese, and honey mustard - it was AMAZING and I couldn't eat much of it at all.

I guess this is a process.

As for working out - anyone have any tips? How do I do this? I feel so tired all the time. I guess if I up my game with fluids and protein I'll have more energy? Right now I just feel like I could sleep all day. And weekends I actually do sleep ALL day.

Definitely increasing your Protein and fluids will help with energy. You can also probably up you calorie intake a bit. I found that in order to really sustain my workouts, I needed to be right at or a bit above 1000 a day. I also started adding a little Kashi Cereal (1/4 of a serving) to my greek yogurt in the afternoons, because I found that having a little bit of carbs pre-workout really helped me get through. Then I would have a high protein dinner shortly after my workouts. I always work out in between when I get home from work and dinner. I find that's the best time for me to work out, because instead of changing out of my work clothes and into my house clothes (pajamas basically) I would change straight into my workout clothes. Once my pajamas are on, I know working out is NOT gonna happen, so by changing into my workout clothes right after work, it forces me to go ahead and do my workout!

Edited by JamieLogical

I find it helpful to avoid the "all or nothing" mentality. So, for the workout issue, try just starting out with five minutes. Just five. It's a small adjustment to body and schedule which makes it much more doable. After you have accomplished that for a few days, just start adding 1 to 5 minutes more to your workout time every few days until you have built up your time and body to the workout time you want as routine. This also helps you avoid injury as you don't overdo it early on.

Good luck!

View food and Water as prescriptions you take because you have to. Pleasure in food will come later. You can do things like buy bento boxes and premake the mini meals so it's easy to eat the right things.

Ditch that muffin.. eat a piece of chicken with your eggs.. or some other Protein.

Herbal teas are good to me, try those.

That is hectic. I can't even imagine a 3 hour commute.. the best idea then is to make one day your food prep day, and pack it all for the week. so all you have to do is grab everything and go.

oh, and as far as Water.. try making bone broth and drinking that..

I had a hard time at first also. I still cannot stand sweet. Cannot get yogart down. Cannot tolerate sweet drinks. I found I do like Crystal Lite lemonade....it is more tangy and not as sweet. Could not stand Protein drinks at first other than Adkins chocolate Royale.....but it is low in Protein. I hated Premier drinks...30 grams of protein....but your taste changes and now I love the strawberry Premier drink (you can get these at a Walmart). My stand by during this time was Soup.....make refried Beans thin like Soup and put cheese on top...I still go and get Wendy's Chili because of the convenience and it is high protein. Six grilled nuggets from Chick Fila has 23 grams of protein (I eat these for breakfast). I mix Crystal Light lemonade with GENEPRO and keep a big glass of it at my desk.....I get my protein and Water in at the same time. Most days I get in at least 100-120 grams of protein

I didn't exercise at first either...too busy, too tired, too much to do, bad knees...etc....we can find all of the excuses we want. I joined the gym at our local hospital. At first I said there was no way I was going to get in the pool and let anyone see me in a bathing suit. Trainer kept telling me it was the best because of my knees. I took the plunge and got in the pool (guess what ....nobody cares what I look like!).....I walk the pool and stay in it an hour or more! It is open until 9:00 at night and 7 days a week.....low cost also. You can do it....just make up your mind.

When was the last time you lost 40 lbs in 10 weeks, and recovered from a mild heart attack? Cut yourself some slack.

Your are doing great. As for the 3 week stall, I truly believe that stalls are merely the body getting use to the weight loss.

Thanks everyone - this is a great pick-me-up and motivator!

I spoke with my doctor's office today and am having all my lab work done tomorrow and going in to see them on Monday. I'm so incredibly tired I could literally fall asleep at my desk right now. I hate feeling this way. So I'm excited to see what my labwork shows. I feel like something is going on.

My 'Water challenge' has worked - I'm on my fourth cup of the day - having one an hour. So that is good. I'm tracking Protein and trying to get in at least 60 grams today. As for working out - I'm sure my lab work and doc visit will help me figure out what is going on and I can then get to the bottom of it. I just hate feeling this tired all the time. It makes it so hard to work and do much of anything.

THANKS - I really appreciate the support and advice. Texaslady - great idea about the pool and I love swimming - I really should find a place where I can swim.