Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any GERD sufferers who were still able to get their sleeve done?

Had terrible GERD since I was 5. Had the sleeve and hernia repair, GERD is gone so far (only 2 weeks out though)

I think it is something called Barretts esophagus that is contraindicated for the sleeve, not GERD. I think quite a lot of us have or had GERD to some degree pre op. Best of luck to you :)

I had GERD so bad that at one point I had vocal cord damage. No one said anything about being ineligible for surgery, since my EGD and upper gi series were normal. I was sleeved 11/25/14, and my GERD has gotten better, I've been able to cut down on how much medicine I take (just 40mg Protonix once a day and the occasional Zantac).

I had my sleeve in October 2013 at the time I hade GERD but it really was not discussed as a negative to having the sleeve. My EGD showed a hernia that my surgeon said would be fixed at time of surgery. However during the surgery he could not find it. At first everything was fine but after a few months the reflux was unbelievable I was taking 40 mg in the morning and at night of Omeprazole, tums off and on all day at this point I was having a hard time sleeping because of the pain. Another EDG showed the hernia was bigger and the acid was effecting my throat it was getting harder and harder to eat. Three weeks ago I had a RNY with a hernia repair. I liked the idea

Of the sleeve because you didn't have to be rearranged however If I had been more informed about the sleeve and the fact that it can make it worse I would have reconsidered the RNY in the first place. It would have saved me a lot is hassle and not to mention money. Please keep it in mind and talk it over with you surgeon. Some people have no problems others do.

I think it is something called Barretts esophagus that is contraindicated for the sleeve, not GERD. I think quite a lot of us have or had GERD to some degree pre op. Best of luck to you :)

I have Barretts from years of untreated GERD because I'm allergic to omeprazole and protonix is expensive if you don't have insurance. The only thing my surgeon said about the Barretts is I need to have a yearly endoscopy to watch for changes and I'll be on protonix the rest of my life. He said the damage is already done and the sleeve wouldn't make it worse if I ate healthy and took my medicine regularly.

I have GERD and suffer more severe bouts from time to time. I had my sleeve 2 weeks ago today. My surgeon say that you can still have the surgery but that you need to have the GERD under control. I had to do a 1 month preop diet and had no issues with GERD but was under treatment for it. You also are on GERD medication for at least 3 months after surgery. I think the only time they may not do it is when its GERD that is not controlled. In my experience when I eat correctly GERD is not a concern. I'm 2 weeks preop and have lost 25 pounds with no issues from GERD. Good luck.

According to my Dr., GERD is not inherent with the sleeve. If your doctor uses a good surgical approach, GERD should not be an issue.

According to my Dr., GERD is not inherent with the sleeve. If your doctor uses a good surgical approach, GERD should not be an issue.

I recently have been having issues with GERD again and had an upper endoscopy that discovered that I have gastritis and esophagitis. I wasn't aware that GERD could be a reason not to have the sleave. I guess I will need to bring this up to my surgeons office at my next appointment.

Some of what has been said here confuses me. Sleeve is well known to increase risk of GERD, it's probably the biggest side effect risk. But like all risks not everybody gets the bad outcome. I decided my reflux was caused by the lapband and it was worth risking. I do not have major problems either but it can show up years post op.

Here is a summary of research:

http://www.medpagetoday.com/Endocrinology/Obesity/44160

@@CowgirlJane

In my experience GERD is one of those things that can be extremely different for each individual. There's the usual issues with acidic foods but other things can trigger as well. For example, before surgery, I could drink unsweetened grapefruit juice and have no trouble. One sip of regular orange juice (not from concentrate, regular acid) would send me to the emergency room. Kool-aid would give me indigestion, and so would sweet tea. I could eat spaghetti or manicotti just fine though. I agree it is a risk with the sleeve, it was the only concern my surgeon had with me getting the sleeve but he said it was up to me if I was willing to take the medication for it.

Anyways, there's my two cents on why people may be having such different things to say about GERD here. I think every body has certain triggers for their individual GERD. When I first started having trouble years ago, I kept a journal similar to what I do now with myfitnesspal. Only I wasn't counting calories back then, i was analyzing which foods cause me pain.

I had GERD pre-op and I was sleeved on 12/12/14.

Its not a determining factor as to whether or not you will be allowed to have VSG, the surgeon is concerned with how long you have had GERD, what you were taking for it, and the level of tissue damage (if any) that GERD has caused your digestive tract over the years. Scar tissue can be a major issue for the surgeon so thats one of the reasons why they do EDGs pre-op to make sure the have a clear roadway.

GERD was one of the reason I wanted the surgery. I take Omeprazole every morning and I feel great.

If I forget to take it I suffer.

I had GERD preop and still take a PPI after being sleeved. I only need to take it every day and a half now so it's gotten better.