Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm addicted too...

Ugh... I've watched a couple more episodes of this show in the past few days and it mostly just makes me want to throw things at my TV..... You seriously ate a pork chop, french fries, and two eggs less that two weeks post op and you wonder why you are laying in bed throwing up?!?!?! What is wrong with these people? I'm convinced now that this show is one of the reasons why WLS has such a bad rap.

I have been binge watching Fat Doctor on Hulu. It does appear that these patients follow a different protocol after surgery. They none seem to follow a Protein first diet. I'm into season 3 now and am loving the skin removal and plastic surgery stories. It is so graphic!

Susan

@@HappygoSusan Yeah, I'm always shocked to see them eating sandwiches and bread post-op, but most of them seem to be pretty successful in their weight loss. I also think their pre-op "milk diet" is a little weird.

@jamieligical

Watching those milk diets make me even more thankful I didn't have a pre surgery liquid diet.

Susan

I admit it, I am also addicted to My 600lb Life. I go through a gambit of emotions from feeling sad for them to being angry. Why oh why put your family and yourself through so much just to eat the way you did prior to the surgery?

I personally believe they, maybe anyone getting WLS, needs some therapy to discuss how things got out of control and to address those issues in depth. It also gives the person one more person to be accountable to in a sense and anyone that out of control, needs accountability when trying to make changes.

I love this show too and it actually is one of the reasons I considered the surgery! I had the sleeve done last Wednesday (3-4) an watched it in my room that night at the hospital. My nurse couldn't believe it!

I had never seen the show until after my surgery. It was my most emotional day; I was so angry with myself for having the surgery and had a bunch of other self-esteem-zapping thoughts repeating in my head. Then I saw the show. And I realized I had been thinking the exact same way about food as the people on that show. I realized that it is only thanks to time and luck that I wasn't yet that weight. I realized that not only was this surgery the right thing for me, but it is my only real chance at controlling my weight.

I have been binge watching Fat Doctor on Hulu. It does appear that these patients follow a different protocol after surgery. They none seem to follow a Protein first diet. I'm into season 3 now and am loving the skin removal and plastic surgery stories. It is so graphic!

Susan

I need to get on Hulu!

I had never seen the show until after my surgery. It was my most emotional day; I was so angry with myself for having the surgery and had a bunch of other self-esteem-zapping thoughts repeating in my head. Then I saw the show. And I realized I had been thinking the exact same way about food as the people on that show. I realized that it is only thanks to time and luck that I wasn't yet that weight. I realized that not only was this surgery the right thing for me, but it is my only real chance at controlling my weight.

The show really made me realize how much of it is mental and emotional. I am right there with you, I could have easily been one of them!

I am addicted to my 600 lb life! It makes me feel so many emotions and I can relate to a lot of them. I think it also helps me to think about a few things.

1) That could have been me if I didn't have surgery when I did.

2) It scares the hell out of me seeing those that fail. While it is heartbreaking it shows the reality that it CAN happen if you don't work towards your goals everyday.

3) I can empathize with the way they feel about food and eating, it's like a drug.

@@holliwood1980

I have now watched 5 seasons of Fat Doctor. Plus gotten hooked on Empire. Hulu is addictive.

Susan

I've now watched all of the one season of My 600 Pound Life that's on Hulu. I have to say, I definitely prefer Fat Doctor. It just seems to me that a lot of the people on My 600 Pound Life are poorly educated or just don't fully understand what eating will have to be like for them post-op. They are like "well, I'm allowed solid foods again, so I guess I'll have two bratwurst and some beans!" Or, "hey, I'm allowed chicken, so I'll just go through this KFC drive through and get a bunch of fried chicken and a giant drink to wash it down with!"

It's like they either received ZERO instruction about what they should be doing/eating post-op or they have all just chosen to ignore it. I wonder if it's to do with the one doctor they show (Dr. Nowzaradan) in the season I watched. Maybe his practice just isn't as thorough as most in providing pre and post-op direction?

From what I gather, the early seasons of My 600 Lb Life followed people for several years and the first episodes followed people who had surgery in 2004. My theory is that many of the requirements we have (Protein first, etc.) were developed based on the experiences of those who went before us. I am sure they had guidelines to follow, but they may not have been as detailed. As current WLS patients we are benefitting from their experience (good and bad).

I would love to see a special with Dr. Now and some former patients focusing on lessons learned and what leads to success.