Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Books Are You Reading Now?

Good luck, I just go really slow. If all else fails just eat Soup. :)

I got chicken Chinese salad. OMZ! It was soooooo good! I haven't ever been able to eat salad, not even at home! I got that because there were so many different things in there I thought surely one would go down and it did! Red cabbage, green cabbage, carrots, baby orange things, white crunchy things... it was sooo good. Brought most of it home.

I'm tempted to mail the dressing to Vicki so she can tell me how to make it. I haven't enjoyed food that much since before I was banded, not kidding. It was great and you know what? I didn't BARF~ I couldn't be more proud of myself! HA!

Hey girlfriends, I have no idea how to navigate here. I'm used to the "other place."

You found us, Yipppe!!

I got chicken Chinese salad. OMZ! It was soooooo good! I haven't ever been able to eat salad, not even at home! I got that because there were so many different things in there I thought surely one would go down and it did! Red cabbage, green cabbage, carrots, baby orange things, white crunchy things... it was sooo good. Brought most of it home.

I'm tempted to mail the dressing to Vicki so she can tell me how to make it. I haven't enjoyed food that much since before I was banded, not kidding. It was great and you know what? I didn't BARF~ I couldn't be more proud of myself! HA!

Yum, sounds good. I always worry about something getting stuck or people noticing that I eat really slow. They never do though, but they always noticed that I ate really fast before the band.

The thing that I can't get used to here is that when you do a quick reply it does not close the window so it looks kind of like it didn't take.

Yum, sounds good. I always worry about something getting stuck or people noticing that I eat really slow. They never do though, but they always noticed that I ate really fast before the band.

The thing that I can't get used to here is that when you do a quick reply it does not close the window so it looks kind of like it didn't take.

Yes, I was kind of dreading today because there was a person there I didn't know. Eating slow and taking tiny bites is embarrassing. Before I knew it my friend told him all about my surgery, my band, the changes, etc. He was cool about it. They just sat and waited for me. :)

There is (another) bug right now in the software. It doesn't usually give an error message with each post. Alex will hopefully fix it soon.

I'm currently reading 2 series. The first one is the Dragonriders of Pern series by Anne McCaffrey, I'm on the 5th or 6th one, it's really enjoyable. The other series is the Xanth series by Piers Anthony. It's FULL of satire, it's really funny. I've only ever gotten to the 5th book in the series, I'm actually re-reading up that far. It's got 20 some books in it.

My mom bought me the first 5 books of the Pern series when I told her I hadn't ever read it. I think she nearly fainted, lol.

i just got 'The Art of Happiness', his holiness the Dalai Lama

Fantastic in a way i cant begin to describe.

also reading..at night.."Hannibal Rising" Thomas Harris. i know...wierd contrast eh?

by day the dalai lama, and at night Cannibalism at its finest.

I guess i just revealed a great deal more about myself than planned...ha...

Im reading a combination of a few books but could never read and exercise Id get neasea. Though I do subscribe to audible and listen to books while at the gym.

OK, am I the only one around here that likes Jackie Collins???? That woman writes the best books, I swear. That is if you like a little sleaze to get you through the day;)

I highly recommend Khaled Hosseini's The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns. They are some of the best books I've read recently and I'm an English professor. They are tearjerkers, but have a lot of information on Afghanistan. Hosseini makes his characters so human that the reader can overlook the general chaos in Afghanistan. I'm going to teach a contemporary world literature course because I loved The Kite Runner so much. I also recommend anything by Isabel Allende. We are going to read House of Spirits for the class, but her other books are good too. She's so funny though she wrote a book for her daughter who died of porphyria, and it's a family history. It's still fascinating and one sees how very much she loved her daughter. Sorry, I tend to go for the literary stuff, but these books are not boring and I think people would like them. I read Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels repeatedly. He's a British guy and the Discworld is sort of a fantasy world but not really. His books are hilarious which is why I reread them all the time. His best books are about the Ankh-Morpork police starting with Guards, Guards. He also has some really good books about the witches of Lancre which are hilarious. The first one is a take-off on MacBeth and it's really funny. They feature Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Ogg and Magrat Garlick though when Magrat becomes queen of Lancre, Pratchett adds Agnes Nitt as the third witch. She's sort of fat but has a thin girl named Perdita living in her. Agnes can sing in harmony with herself. I love these books.

I highly recommend a book called "for one more day" by Mitch Albom. it is about a man, through a series of unfortunate events, decides to commit suicide. He was on his way to the house he grew up in to do it and when he got there, his mother was there...his mother had been dead for 8 years. He was able to spend the day with her and try to make up for all the things he should have said or done while she was alive. The author said that when he was looking for ideas on what to write about, most people that he asked if they had a chance to spend one day with, who would it be....most all of the responses were someone in their families that had passed away. So that is where he got the idea for the book. I cried at times while reading it. Very touching. It is only in hard back right now, but worth every penny!!

I also just finished "The Husband" by Dean Koontz. Good one too.

And...I also just read "Fool Me Once" by Fern Michaels. The typical family secrets revealed book. I loved it though...it makes my life sound so "normal". LOL

Right now I am reading "Mary Mary" by James Patterson. A good murder mystery.

This is my favorite thread EVER! I've found more avid readers. Yay for me!!!!

bitteroldhag, (love your user name!), I second your recommendation of The Kite Runner. It was one of the best books I've read in years and I recommend it to everyone I know who reads.

I've picked up some great ideas here, I'm going to get: Fighting Weight, Shoot the Moon, Stiff (my family owned a funeral home when I was growing up and my dad is a mortician!), and something by Anne (Ann?) Rice.

I finished my master's degree this spring and the first thing I did was cancel my television service because I wanted to read, read, and read...FOR PLEASURE, instead of for school. I've read around 20 books in June and these are the ones I can remember off the top of my head...

White Oleander, Prep, Life of Pi, The Kite Runner, Infidel, A Lotus Grows in the Mud (Goldie Hawn's autobiography), The Book of Ruth, Geek Love, Good in Bed, and A Virtuous Woman and all of the Hannibal books. I've been in a joyous book reading frenzy!

Oh yeah, in case you didn't catch it the first time.....READ THE KITE RUNNER! =) :clap2:

I'm also going to find For One More Day, that sounds great.

Are any of you members of paperbackswap.com? It is the best (FREE!) website for voracious readers! You post your books and get credits and then you can order books from other folks with your credits. It's only $2.13 to mail a paperback book so it's a great (and cheap) way to find new reads. If any of you are interested in joining, if you don't mind, would you PM me and give me your email address so I can send you an invitation? You don't need my invitation of course, but if you sign up I'll get a free credit if you use my name. *greedy Gibson* =)