Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Books Are You Reading Now?

Great idea for a thread, Bubblebutt.

I just finished:

Leaving the Saints by Martha Beck -- really interesting story of a woman raised Mormon and all the dirty secrets of the Mormon church.

Kabul Beauty School by Deborah Rodruiguez. An American woman opened a beauty school in Afghanistan after 9/11. I wanted to read it because I heard her interviewed on NPR a few weeks ago and she sounded so kooky. Last week I heard another interview on NPR with one of her former students who now fears for her life because of all the secrets Deborah Rodriguez revealed about her and the other women there in the book. It's not the most well-written book, but it's quick reading and an interesting view of life under the burqa.

I'm in the middle of reading On Beauty by Zadie Smith. It's decent reading. She writes very well.

Just ordered The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan. He writes mostly about food ethics. He's one of my favorite people on the planet.

Usually, I try to buy books at a local bookshop because I prefer to support them than some giant conglomerate bookstore. But Amazon is convenient when I'm looking for something that not everyone carries (which is often the case). I also highly recommend Alibris.com for used and out-of-print books.

I just finished "Rollback" by Robert J. Sawyer who is about equal to Heinlein in my view of sci-fi writers. ALL sci-fi fans must read ALL of his books.

His book "Calculating God" converted me from atheism.

wow Derick, thats one helluva recommendation. Certainly has my interest up. Ill write that down to check out later. Can you tell me more about it?

I JUST got 'the Art of Happiness' by his holiness Dahali Lama and Howard C Cutler MD. ;)

wow Derick, thats one helluva recommendation. Certainly has my interest up. Ill write that down to check out later. Can you tell me more about it?

I JUST got 'the Art of Happiness' by his holiness Dahali Lama and Howard C Cutler MD. ;)

he plot: a non-Terran spacecraft sets down outside the Royal Ontario Museum, and an eight-legged alien (named, as it later emerges, Hollus) walks into the museum and asks to see a paleontologist.The paleontologist on call happens to be Tom Jericho, who happens to have cancer. And when he learns that on Hollus's planet, scientists think it's just obvious that the universe was designed by an intelligent God, he finds that he has to deal with his own reasons for not believing in God (i.e. Cancer).

Most of the plot is devoted to scientific and philosophical discussions between Jericho and Hollus.

I'm reading Sanjay Gupta's "Chasing Life" I love it so far. Stiff sounds really interesting. I'll have to pick that one up.

Susan

SUSAN!!!!

(Waving madly)

Hi!!!

Haven't seen you since... this morning at the "other" place. :)

Waving back and dragging Vicki kicking and screaming over to the sane world.....

Waving back and dragging Vicki kicking and screaming over to the sane world.....

Kicking and screaming is right! I've tried, she bit me. Good luck to you!

I'll work on her too. We'll get this done one way or another. :)

Susan...

BTW, did you read the latest in the "blocked" thread? Heh....

I'm going to lunch with a friend of mine. Pray for me, I'm going out to eat in public. I don't do that well. Yikes....

Good luck, I just go really slow. If all else fails just eat Soup. :)

Susan...

BTW, did you read the latest in the "blocked" thread? Heh....

I'm going to lunch with a friend of mine. Pray for me, I'm going out to eat in public. I don't do that well. Yikes....

Nice post's on the Blocked thread too by the way.

Hey girlfriends, I have no idea how to navigate here. I'm used to the "other place."

Hey girlfriends, I have no idea how to navigate here. I'm used to the "other place."