Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What have I done?

When was your surgery? I can't say that I ever regretted, but I know it was hard going through 2 weeks of full liquids because the shakes got repetitive and gross after a while. Are there specific things that are making you feel this way, like pain or other issues with eating/drinking? I hope you start feeling better soon!!

Are you just a few days or weeks out? If so, you are definitely not the only one who regrets your decision. It's VERY common in the early days as you are healing and adapting. I promise you that it gets better day-by-day and week-by-week. Once you are back to feeling "normal" your regrets will be gone for the most part.

Thank you for you replies. I am actually 6 weeks out. Surgery was January 8, 2015. I just never felt good and really had a very hard time becoming emotionally "detached" to food. I never really realized how I used food to hide/deal with my feelings until the food was unavailable to me anymore. I had an "EXTREME" bout with Constipation and for the first time in my life even after having 4 children "Hemorrhoids" OH MY GOSH! Extreme chest pain and pressure 4 weeks out sent me to the ER only to discover that my gallbladder was inflamed and other issues that indicated that it needed to come out. So my gallbladder surgery was on February 13, 2015. The first of this week brought on severe depression, but through lots of prayer and love and support of my family I am better. I can say that I am down 38 lbs as of this morning. I do not allow myself to weigh but once a week on Saturday. I know that as time goes by and I lose more weight I am sure that the regrets that I have will turn in to pure joy. I am learning to deal with my emotions instead of eating them away or trying to anyway.

I promise you!!!! I regretted the first 2 months. After month 3, it was the best decision I've ever made.

I think most regret at the beginning but as things calm down and your stomach heals things get much better the first couple months take getting used to all the changes,but in the end you will love that you did it! Best of luck..you will do great!

It is all downhill from here. I had my gallbladder out in 1973 (when I was 21 years old and back when the still cut you half in two). I have never missed it, and felt soooooo much better after a short recovery period.

You have two things going for you now: That icky old gallbladder is out and gone, and your weight is on its way to healthy. At 14 months out, I can tell you that once you pass that first two or three months you will begin to get some snap back and feel better than you have since ever.

You will be abe to enjoy your chidren more and have more energy for the day to day stuff that tends to get away from us. Just follow your plan and make good sleep your priority.

I think it's normal to have some regrets, but if you really think about what you are saying you are telling yourself that you are missing the ability to eat a lot of unhealthy food that was literally making you sick and miserable. That's what I did anyways, I just had to reframe in my mind the way I was thinking about it and remember all the reasons I chose to have the surgery. I heard somewhere that our brains cannot focus on more than a few things at time... my advice would be to try to focus on the positive such as how you finally took a step to change your life, your health, your future, dreams, goals, etc. and don't leave that brain of yours room for regrets. As others have said, in a couple of months this phase is all going to be a distant memory anyways in the fabulous new life you will be leading! :)

I am right with you! I am full of regrets myself. My doctor is cold and makes me feel like I'm stupid so I don't ask questions. I ended up with problems with my left lung that caused it to close up and Fluid build up around it. The surgeon who put in my chest tube said it was from getting bumped around in the surgery. My stomach burns sometimes horribly or I throw up foam. I am staying nauseous lately so I fight to get in 40 g of Protein. I had my surgery 12/29/14. I have no energy and have been trying to find any options for a reversal or as much of one as I can get. I can't even finish a 5oz Greek yogurt and only nuts for solids without throwing up.

So, yes I regret this decision even more than both ex-husbands!!! I've lost 47 lbs but the vomiting and chest tube were NOT worth it.

I'm miserable. Will I ever be able to eat food again??

I am right with you! I am full of regrets myself. My doctor is cold and makes me feel like I'm stupid so I don't ask questions. I ended up with problems with my left lung that caused it to close up and Fluid build up around it. The surgeon who put in my chest tube said it was from getting bumped around in the surgery. My stomach burns sometimes horribly or I throw up foam. I am staying nauseous lately so I fight to get in 40 g of Protein. I had my surgery 12/29/14. I have no energy and have been trying to find any options for a reversal or as much of one as I can get. I can't even finish a 5oz Greek yogurt and only nuts for solids without throwing up.

So, yes I regret this decision even more than both ex-husbands!!! I've lost 47 lbs but the vomiting and chest tube were NOT worth it.

I'm miserable. Will I ever be able to eat food again??

I am very sorry you are feeling this way. As you can see from the other posts most who have gone through this will tell you it gets better. But that is no consolation to you now, is it? You don't want to feel this way.

But the thing that jumped out at me from your post was that your doctor was cold and made you feel stupid. Do not let this doctor do this to you or intimidate you in any way. You have the right to ask questions and get answers. I am a very assertive person so that might be easy for me to say. If you are uncomfortable doing this - then take someone with you who can help you ask the questions. Do not leave without answers.

Here's a start - ask for copies of all your medical results, tests and reports - starting with the operative report. That is very, very important. For two reasons - one you will find out things your doctor may not have told you, and two - your doctor will know you mean business. You have the right to ask and get these.

Please do this and let us know how this went. No one should ever be made to feel stupid by anyone.

Good luck.

It's still early. I regretted until I could eat "normal" food again. When I have an extremely emotional day, sometimes I have two or three m&ms to cope. Helps me, and it's not a bag of Oreos like it would have been before. I regretted the surgery up until chicken and such were edible again. Once I could have my 4 bites of any Protein rich dish I was feeling much better. Watching the weight fall off definitely helps too :) stay strong you will feel better

As many have said on this site, after 2-3 months the only regret is, why I didn't do it before.

Thank you for the words of encouragement. I am not very aggressive but I do think getting a copy of my reports would be wise and make him think!! That I can do! ????

I will keep you posted. Today isn't good since my Milk of Mag isn't working well. It has to get better.

Another question. I've lost 60 lbs since Dec 29, 2014, not by choice, and my skin looks bad!! Wrinkly is the best way to describe it. I know I've lost muscle being in the hospital so much but will it tone up at least SOME later? Any ideas.

@@ggvan Now that some times has passed hopefully your feeling better about your decision?