Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

At what age would you have Weight Loss Surgery (WLS) if you had a do-over?

Eight years ago because that's when my sister had bypass and I saw how successful and happy she was with her decision. I wanted to do it then but my insurance refused to pay and I couldn't afford it on my own. The company I work for changed our insurance in May to one that supported WLS and I had the surgery September 2.

I would have done it in my early 20s but I think its possible that my age now is just right when i really think about it cause I am a little older and a little wiser so I have a better understanding of what it takes to be the best me that I can be. I like who i am mentally and spiritually now and the only thing left for me to do is change myself phsically.

Wow what a great question. Im 50 and I definitely would have had the sleeve instead of the band at age 43. But if I could take with me all the insight and hindsight and insurance coverage I would have done it at age 36. Until then I had so called normal struggles with weight, mostly a size 12 and athletic, but at 36 I ruptured a disk in my back and gained 80 lbs in one year from the pain, inability to exercise, stress and depression. Then weight went up up up every year.

That said, I'm a lot more compassionate due to my issues so perhaps as one poster said there's a time and reason for everything.

I was skinny for a hot second when I was 16, but even then I was a size 12. From there it was a steady increase until surgery, which I had at 28. I don't regret it, not for a minute. I wouldn't do it earlier, but I am SO thankful that I did it when I did. I look forward to having healthy pregnancies and running around with my kids. I want them to grow up in a house where food is fuel, not emotional support. I am so glad I changed my life just in time.

I had my sleeve a week after my 20th birthday, and I would not change a thing I want to get the most out of my life and my obesity was holding me back. obesity, hypothyroidism, and diabetes run very heavily in my family and have always concerned me, and since my surgery my thyroid levels have leveled so I am now off of all medications, and do not feel there was a better choice for me. Also with being so young I feel I am getting the most out of my surgery because I can be active and do things I might not have been able to if I had waited till I was older :)

When I do have children I would support them in any way possible it would ultimately be their decision if bariatric surgery was something needed for them. I do not feel an age should be put on it because I may be young but I know what I want out of life and I made this commitment to better myself for myself and I will do the same for future children if they ever believe they need bariatric surgery.

I'm 46 and having my surgery in four days. I was telling a friend yesterday that at any other point in my life I wouldn't have been emotionally ready to do this. I finally love myself enough to make some drastic changes for the better, that includes WLS :D

I would have done it as soon as my BMI was above 35. For me that was about 10 years ago. I was overweight as soon as I had babies but I did lose some but not enough with each child the pounds piled on. Also my eating habits got worse. I was too busy taking care of everyone and I came last.

Making a decision about WLS is hard but I think I needed to be realistic about how likely was I do be able to lose the amount of weight needed to be healthy. I lost 10 years feeling sorry for myself. In 5 months I lost 70 lbs. Like that was ever going to happen without surgery? Now I can move on to LIVING.

I was obese\overweight from the time I was about 8 years old. Over my 47 years, lost the same 60 pounds multiple times, never reaching a healthy weight and gaining it back with interest. Lost my dad to morbid obesity when he was 52, (I was 13). Some say you have to hit rock bottom, but if this was available to me in my 20's I'd have avoided the damage to my body that 40 years of obesity caused. I don't have kids but would tell anyone considering, who has done their research, if you are ready to change, this procedure can help you change your life forever!

I'm 43 now and had the surgery in October. Needed it when I was probably 30. If I had only known...

I would have done it at 17 , only because I went to bed weighing in at 135lbs & woke up the next morning with my eyes where I could barely open them, face & body looked like a blowfish all puffed up because of my Thyroid , then I started the yo yo & pill dieting even some other things & it would be only a little while then as WE all know it would come back double , every time I was pregnant 3 Times they would check my Thyroid & say it was fine & it was I guess for years until about my 30s then it started again & yes My 21 yr old son is overweight because of some medication they prescribed for him when he was little saying he was depressed v& had A.D.D. now he has lost a lot of weight eating Portion Control & walking every where , however he is left with more stretch marks than I have & a few months after getting my band I asked him if he wanted to have wls I told him to think about it & if he ever wanted to talk to me & WE would start there so I left it in his choice.

I had it last year, I was 26, almost 27, and honestly I wish I'd have done it earlier in my 20's. During my marriage, my ex-wife and I travelled a lot and I let my weight/size hold me back from some experiences that I would now jump into head first. I don't have the time/money to travel as much now that I'm divorced, so I missed out on some things that I'm hoping I'll get a chance to redo in the future.

If I had kids and I saw that they needed it and could stick with the program and make the necessary life changes, then yes. I think WLS requires a certain level of maturity and responsibility and I'd like to think any child I raise would have that. I'd like to think I had it when I was younger as well.

I think if I could go back I would have had it done in my early 30's but only if I had been as mentally ready as I was now.

Mid forties when I started gaining a lot of weight. I had a sleeve done last July at 52 almost 53.

18. If my kids had the same issues as I did, same age. I am lucky they don't. Sometimes I wish I could figure out a way to encourage my sister though.

I had it last month. I'm 28. I'm glad I didn't do it much earlier because it would have been for the wrong reasons and I likely would have failed. Losing weight to look better rather than to live better was why so many diets and programs and previous efforts weren't successful for me. I'm older and thinking more about my future and how I want to live my life instead of focusing on looking like my peers or what clothes I can buy.