Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Join the protein shake potluck...share your favorites!

Forgive me for starting another post on Protein Shakes but I am having some issues finding one I like and would love some tips/advice!

I go see my nutritionist for the first time on Friday and plan on picking up some more sample shakes to try.

I did a big taste test this morning and tried the following:

All shakes mixed in a standard no frills blender.

Bariatric Advantage Chocolate:

Mixed with almond milk had a weird bitter/medicinal taste. I also tried it with PB2 and that was worse. Definitely a "no-go" for this shake.< /p>

Bariatric Advantage Vanilla:

Mixed with almond milk, weird fake vanilla flavor and seemed chalky. I added PB2 and a good 2-3TB of Splenda and it was really sweet but I could drink it if I had to.

Bariatric fusion chocolate Fudge:

Again mixed with almond milk. Oh my no way, bitter and chalky.

I have also tried powders? utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury vanilla mixed with Crystal Light lemonade at my support group and that was major yuck.

samples I plan on buying so far:

nectar doubled stuffed cookie and vanilla

Unjury flavorless (is it really flavorless?)

I am also curious about the Premier Protein drinks everyone raves about but I am chicken to buy a case if I don't like them? Can anyone compare them to the shakes I've tried above?

Thanks in advance for your help!

I just started drinking the Premier Protein shakes and I really enjoyed them. They taste 90% like chocolate and strawberry milk!

You can also try adding sugar free Torani or Davinci syrups to make many more flavors from existing Protein drinks. http://shop.torani.com/Sugar-Free-Syrups/c/Torani@SugarFreeSyrups

Most syrups mix well with vanilla Protein Drinks and the syrups that would tend to taste good in coffee also taste good with chocolate shakes.

As for Premier Protein. I like the chocolate best. The vanilla has more of a milky taste than vanilla, but mixes well with iced coffee (as does the chocolate).

I drink nectar shakes, but that's mainly because there are no carbs or sugars in these shakes, which I know is a big deal for weight loss things. I'm open to hearing whatever else you are trying. I, too, am getting bored with just one flavor that I like.

Walgreen's sells a four pack of Premier Protein ready to drink shakes in vanilla, chocolate and strawberry. That way you don't have to buy a whole case to try it out. I think the 4 pk is around $6.00. costco sells the case for around $25.00.

I just started my pre-op liquid phase. Right now I am "enjoying" the Premier Protein chocolate and vanilla. However they do seem to leave a film on my mouth. I just swish a little Water around in my mouth and it clears right up.

Edited by OneDollarBill

I have both chocolates from unjury and like them both. Mixed with milk, very good but I am pre-op and made with in a blender with some ice. Also the strawberry is pretty good and the vanilla. I have not tried the chicken yet. Try a sampler pack so you don't have to buy the big canisters. I am happy with these for right now.

Ok....I'm super picky about the Protein shakes. I have tried tons of them. If you buy them at Vitamin Shoppe or GNC you can return them. GNC gives you a refund. Vitamin Shoppe gives you a credit.

So far this is what I can tell you for sure:

I can not tolerate any of the Bariatric fusion or Bariatric Advantage shakes. They are just awful. Celebrate has Soups which again are not to my liking. Very whey tasting no matter what I add. Protizyme taste ok but are thick. I add more milk and can stand the chocolate and Peanut Butter cookie flavor. I did not like the unjury shakes or Soups at all. They were very gritty in my opinion.

I can drink most of the Nectars except blue sky which last like dish Water. My favorite is the Fuzzy Naval. Dymatized ISO 100 chocolate and cinnamon bun are good and I don't have issues with either. The birthday cake by Dymatized is GREAT!

My favorite overall is PE science Snickerdoodle. I can drink it, cook with it, add to oatmeal etc...It's by far my favorite. I add 12oz of fair life milk and get a whooping 44 grams of Protein for one shake.

I have not like any of the premixed shakes like premier. They all have a funny after taste. It's so individualized to specific taste. My spouse had the surgery 2 weeks after I did and can tolerate all of them.

Good luck finding your drink of choice.

There is a blog called the World According to Eggface who posts amazing recipes for Protein Shakes, using fresh fruits, Torani syrups, etc. She is on Pinterest as well, a wls success story, very down to earth, lots of other recipes, too. With vanilla shakes, I find a sprinkle of cinnamon and or nutmeg makes a big difference. I like Unjury the best, but still a rookie, hoping for March surgery.

I agree with @@Stephanie Ged on the Syntrax nectar shakes - an awesome whey isolate Protein. No sugar, no carbs - great tasting. In my opinion, the best tasting shakes. I use regularly the chocolate truffle, vanilla torte, and the Cappuccino flavors. I also agree, you can add SF syrups to switch up the flavorings. I mix them with about 6 oz of unsweetened Westsoy soy milk for another 8 grams of Protein.< /p>

Whatever protein you choose, I think a whey isolate protein is best, my opinion.

Walgreen's sells a four pack of Premier Protein ready to drink shakes in vanilla, chocolate and strawberry. That way you don't have to buy a whole case to try it out. I think the 4 pk is around $6.00. costco sells the case for around $25.00.

Thanks! I will have to stop by Walgreens to pick some up!

Ok....I'm super picky about the Protein shakes. I have tried tons of them. If you buy them at Vitamin Shoppe or GNC you can return them. GNC gives you a refund. Vitamin Shoppe gives you a credit.

So far this is what I can tell you for sure:

I can not tolerate any of the Bariatric fusion or Bariatric Advantage shakes. They are just awful. Celebrate has Soups which again are not to my liking. Very whey tasting no matter what I add. Protizyme taste ok but are thick. I add more milk and can stand the chocolate and Peanut Butter cookie flavor. I did not like the unjury shakes or soups at all. They were very gritty in my opinion.

I can drink most of the Nectars except blue sky which last like dish Water. My favorite is the Fuzzy Naval. Dymatized ISO 100 chocolate and cinnamon bun are good and I don't have issues with either. The birthday cake by Dymatized is GREAT!

My favorite overall is PE science Snickerdoodle. I can drink it, cook with it, add to oatmeal etc...It's by far my favorite. I add 12oz of fair life milk and get a whooping 44 grams of Protein for one shake.

I have not like any of the premixed shakes like premier. They all have a funny after taste. It's so individualized to specific taste. My spouse had the surgery 2 weeks after I did and can tolerate all of them.

Good luck finding your drink of choice.

Wow! Did not know you could return protein powder/shakes! That is great!

I'm glad I am not the only one who can't stand Bariatric Advantage/Fusion.

Do you get the PE science from GNC/Vitamin Shoppe? I will have to look for it.